11/26/08 02:13 PM
11/26/08 02:13 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Overpriced Housing Central
Buy the biggest welder you can afford with the money you can spend.

The difference between a 110v and even the 175/180 class 220v machines is huge. There's MUCH more to a welder than the material thickness it's capable of welding.

The ONLY reasons IMHO to buy a 110v machine are 1) cash 2) portability 3) lack of 220v service. Service is easy to put in. Portability isn't a big deal unless you plan on dragging it to friends to weld. Cash is the biggest issue.

You can find a complete 1-3 yo Miller 175/180 with tank/cart and occasionally helmet for around 450-750. Just have to look. Craigslist is a good place to start. There's a Lincoln 250 in Tulsa for $700

And the comment about it's just for this... never works out the way... You'll end up doing other projects that require more oooomph. DAMHIK!

Re: welder feedback [Re: RobX4406] #156113
11/26/08 07:27 PM
11/26/08 07:27 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I've had the Lincoln 3200HD and two 140s. Stinkin thieves!

I really like them and never had a need for anything larger. I've easily welded everything from sheet metal to 1/4" without ever saying "I wish I had a bigger welder."

The portability is a biggie. I've hauled it around to several different places (stolen from two other homes ) to use it for structural steel and building the off road buggy amongst other things.

Unless you get into something really crazy, I doubt you'll out grow one of these. If you do, save your pennies as best you can and get a SECOND welder. That way you've still got one that can be used wherever you go.

I've seen some guys break important stuff on their cars at the track. They needed a welder. If they had the 110V unit, they could have powered it off a generator and fixed their ride.

You can do a bunch with the little $400 units. More than most people think.

However, if you decide to build ocean-going container ships or multi-lane freeway bridges, something larger would be handy.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: welder feedback [Re: feets] #156114
11/26/08 07:36 PM
11/26/08 07:36 PM
L.I. N.Y. Hemi Street
HemiGreg Offline
master
HemiGreg  Offline
master

L.I. N.Y. Hemi Street
even though its not the question get a Miller mig 140.
they die hard and run anywhere.
ive had them all and i mean in ###
and the miller is the only one still going and my 10 yr old nephew said it was the easyiest to run too.
yea i got a Miller Syncrowave tooo so i can compare to the best.

Re: welder feedback [Re: moparpollack] #156115
11/26/08 09:19 PM
11/26/08 09:19 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
OK, I'm going to throw this out there because I've had a good experience with mine:
Clarke 180EN 220V/180A MIG

I searched for several months to find a used Miller, since there's a Miller store not far from me. Not sure what was going on, but you couldn't touch a used 110V unit for less than $700 back then (6-7 yrs ago), and I really wanted a 220V for the extra flexibility. I finally got to where I NEEDED a welder for my LCA project and couldn't find the Miller I wanted, I bit the bullet and ordered the Clarke. I got it delivered in 3 or 4 days for about $560, including the cart, autodark helmet & regulator. FWIW, the cart is functional, but a PO$, and would make a good project if you have the time. I also ordered a small pile of consumables, but most TWECO-style gun parts will fit.

I wired my garage with a single 220V outlet near the door, and made up a 15-20' heavy extension cord so I could reach anywhere in the garage and most anywhere under the carport. So far, I've made an engine cradle, a set of boxled LCA's, subframe connectors, torque boxes, and a number of small engine accessory brackets. The unit has worked perfectly, with the only problems I have ever seen related to me forgetting to turn the gas on (snap-crackle-pop), forgetting to turn it off (empty tank - again!), and wire so old it gets crud on it and doesn't push well. Those have all been easy fixes. Some day I hope to have time to weld more often and avoid all three situations.

Is the Clarke a great welder? Probably not. It doesn't have the infinite power/feed adjustments that other higher-dollar units have, but it seems (to this rank amateur) to do the job I need it to do. I've called their tech support (in OHIO) a few times for questions about how to weld or what to do, and they've always been helpful. For me, it was - and is - a great "starter" welder, and should last me a long time given the limited amount of welding I do.

Clair

Page 2 of 2 1 2