The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline OP
master
Sixpak  Offline OP
master
S

The Swamp
I have one of those bubble level type of alignment gauges that fits over the spindle and sits on the face of the rotor with the grease cap removed. Curious if anyone has successfully done an alignment at home with the front wheels removed, and floor jacks under the lower control arms, just enough to get the wheels off, or perhaps lowered to be at the ride height with the tires on. We all know what a pain it is to get at the cam bolts (I'm dealing with a Duster body here, no access plates like a B or E body.) I'm wondering if anyone has tried to do an alignment this way, and then rechecked their measurements with the wheels back on - how much compressing the upper control arm bushings changed the settings, or possible ball joint play was taken up with the weight on the wheels. Will this get you in the ballpark, or better?

Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: Sixpak] #1559347
01/05/14 06:46 PM
01/05/14 06:46 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
You some how need to account for proper ride height, which includes driver weight, but the biggest problem I see with floor jacks is getting it level, and recreating the actual motion ratio ratio/ride heigh, since the spindle is not being acted on in the true tire centerline.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: Sixpak] #1559348
01/05/14 09:37 PM
01/05/14 09:37 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
I would think you will have a better chance of getting it done when you put the entire car on 4 tire-less wheels, so just the rims.
At least the car's level then and you have more room to reach the cambolts.
Although I'm not quite sure how it will affect the readings when the front wheels are actually resting on the inside ridge of the wheels.

Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1559349
01/08/14 03:41 AM
01/08/14 03:41 AM
Las Vegas, NV
C
chargerbr549 Offline
chargerbr549  Offline
C

Las Vegas, NV
I have aligned several vehicles the same way as you described by setting the lca on jackstands and making sure to keep the ride heights the same front and rear as they were with tires on the front, it seemed like it worked ok although I never had them rechecked with tires on and a better alignment setup. Another option you might try is to get a
Fasttrax alignment gauge they're not that expensive and you don't need turn tables or have the ground perfectly level, I have aligned several of my cars this way and had excellent results! Here's a short video of one being used, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwyfUXsXTV4&list=PL176CF5D77C6A3EC7

Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: Sixpak] #1559350
01/08/14 10:57 AM
01/08/14 10:57 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
I did when I was mocking up the front end. I re did it again after with the wheels on to be sure.

Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: Sixpak] #1559351
01/08/14 02:04 PM
01/08/14 02:04 PM
DemonDuster Offline
DemonDuster  Offline

I did similar on my Duster but used an angle finder on the brake rotor to set camber. An angle finder, straight edge, tape measure, string and 4 jack stands is how aligned my Duster 9 years ago. Handles great, wheel returns to center. and tire wear is even. I jacked up the lower control arms with small floor jacks. (Pulled torsion bars, shocks were removed and k frame at aprox. normal ride height)

Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: DemonDuster] #1559352
01/08/14 02:31 PM
01/08/14 02:31 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
With this floor jack to LCA support solution, how are you measuring "ride height"? From spindle centerline to a point on the car or from the ground to a point on the car? I don't understand how you all are accounting for the difference in leverage on the TB by picking up the suspension at a much different point then the centerline of the tire/wheel to be used, or just don't care or think it doesn't matter enough?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: jcc] #1559353
01/08/14 05:42 PM
01/08/14 05:42 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

With this floor jack to LCA support solution, how are you measuring "ride height"? From spindle centerline to a point on the car or from the ground to a point on the car? I don't understand how you all are accounting for the difference in leverage on the TB by picking up the suspension at a much different point then the centerline of the tire/wheel to be used, or just don't care or think it doesn't matter enough?

Yes ride height is paramount. I would decide on a ride height, then remove torsion bars and make sure your ride height is exact and begin aligning away. After car is together and on all 4's just set ride height to your pre-designated measurement and you should be golden.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: jcc] #1559354
01/08/14 11:46 PM
01/08/14 11:46 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

I used blocks and shims to get the chassis at ride height ( without tbars installed) then using a jack set the lca/spindle at ride height. Then adjusted. It was very close when I checked it all out assembled and driving on an alignment machine at a front end shop.

Re: At home alignment w/o fr tires, floor jacks at each LCA [Re: brads70] #1559355
01/10/14 12:50 AM
01/10/14 12:50 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
My home alignments are limited to toe so I can drive it to the alignment shop. I like to put the front tires on a set of high ramps I have and the rear on stands under the axle. That way suspension is loaded normally and it is up in the air enough for adjustment.

I have used the carpenter's rule on the tires approach and can get it close enough to get to the alignment shop without hurting anything. I have been able to find a local alignment shop that can handle T bars and my custom specs so I let the shop take it from there.