01/01/14 03:34 PM
01/01/14 03:34 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline OP
master
B5 Bee  Offline OP
master

Pangaea
I have a set of 14" Rallyes on my 5'x10' utility trailer. It's due for new tires and the wheels refinished. I'm thinking of trying powder coat instead of paint.
What powder is the closest to the original argent silver Rallye color?

Re: Powder Coat Color...Rallye Wheel [Re: B5 Bee] #1557372
01/01/14 08:29 PM
01/01/14 08:29 PM
Minnesota
peabodyracing Offline
top fuel
peabodyracing  Offline
top fuel

Minnesota
Over the years we've used a couple different products for rally wheels. Valspar had one that was a pretty good match, but in their infinite wisdom they decided a couple years back not to deal with 'job shop' powder coaters directly and sell through a 3rd party. Service level went down, prices went up and availability is inconsistent at best. So chances are you may have a hard time finding someone in your area who still can access the Valspar stock colors.

Tiger Drylac has some good silvers that are close, and they're easier to deal with by far than Valspar, plus the powder can be purchased in 5 pd packs, so if the coater doesn't carry the one you pick out, it can be obtained without breaking the budget. Ask to look at the color cards. Word of caution, look at them outdoors in sunlight. Interior lighting can play games with color perception, particularly silvers.

Axalta is another option (formerly DuPont) for you. Priced well and perform well. Again, look at their stock color card.

I believe TCI had a pretty good match as well, but they're something of a bit player in some parts of the country.

Another thought: try and avoid the silvers that require a clear top coat for outdoor use. You pay for painting the rims twice and I've not been happy with the clear top coats for this application. Stay with a single coat product. They tend to be what's called a TGIC polyester product. Europe is down on TGIC's so some mfr's have tweaked their formulas to be TGIC free.

Having said that, I'm sure you can find someone who insists clear coat is the only way to go. I'm just passing on what I've learned running a shop since 97.

The coater then needs to be careful about thickness consistency and gun settings, to keep the color looking the same throughout the rim. Some will darken a bit when put on heavy. If the painter uses the wrong tip, the metallic content may not lay out well enough, just like with liquid metallic.

Hope this helps.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way
Re: Powder Coat Color...Rallye Wheel [Re: peabodyracing] #1557373
01/10/14 12:20 AM
01/10/14 12:20 AM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline OP
master
B5 Bee  Offline OP
master

Pangaea
Well, I thought I'd post a reply before now with what color I found but I'm having trouble finding a coater that has some kind of normal business hours or posted off hours. I've tried calling the two closest to me, neither answer. Went by their location during normal hours, no one there, not even a sign over their unit. I found an ad for another coater, going to try them on Monday. If I can't make contact, I'm giving up and painting the wheels.
Thanks for the help peabodyracing.

Re: Powder Coat Color...Rallye Wheel [Re: B5 Bee] #1557374
01/10/14 10:21 AM
01/10/14 10:21 AM
Charlotte NC
D
DCI Offline
super stock
DCI  Offline
super stock
D

Charlotte NC
Ultra Silver Textured - good match dark argent

Silver glaze - good light argent match

I have had some people choose this. Everyones eye is different lol!

Just a few of the best matches that I have found over the years. They will send you a color sample if you ask.

As far as clear - It has to be applied correctly over silver or it will darken the silver. 95% of the silvers out there have finely ground aluminum in them and if they do not have a clear coat the aluminum will tarnish over time and you can not polish it. I have a set of rally's I coated in 2002(when I opened my shop) with a clear coat. A little soap and water and they still look brand new.

Hope that helps.

"Turbo will be easiest, and at the HP level will also be easiest on parts. Spend the money to do it right, and you can build a 500 HP street motor that will live a long and happy life, and probably with a very basic short block." Those words must have left a bad taste in his mouth!
Re: Powder Coat Color...Rallye Wheel [Re: DCI] #1557375
01/10/14 09:16 PM
01/10/14 09:16 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline OP
master
B5 Bee  Offline OP
master

Pangaea
Thanks Tom.