Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Performance Only] #1555155
01/06/14 01:48 PM
01/06/14 01:48 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

... everyone else here must be stupid or inept.

Crap, now I've got to figure out if I fall into the "stupid" or "inept" category...

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: 80fbody] #1555156
01/06/14 02:00 PM
01/06/14 02:00 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Seems to me, except for the few high end builds that it'd be cheaper for a race motor to have the guides possibly serviced after several hundred passes the to try & re-invent the wheel, so to speak. Heck we're already ahead with the factory "shaft" design.

If it was just a matter of guides, you might have a point. It's not trying to re-invent the wheel, it's putting the wheel at the right place. We are ahead with the more stable shaft design, but that all goes out the window if the valvetrain is in chaos because of incorrect geometry.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Performance Only] #1555157
01/06/14 02:18 PM
01/06/14 02:18 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Quote:

I guess I need a keyboard that has a "tone" key so I am not interpreted as being a jerk. That is not my intention and is, in fact, more of a emphatic plea to please, for the sake of your motor, think about this stuff.

I don't post here very often but I do read many of the posts nonetheless. You come off as a real jackazz know it all most of the time to push your own agenda to sell your products.
I don't need a "tone" key because I have a tendency to speak what's on my mind and if I offend someone, it's usually my intention to do so, just like it is yours.
You seem to think you're the only person on this entire site that understands rocker arm geometry and the math to go along with it. Sorry buddy, you'd be dead wrong on that. You seem to have this natural gift, or propensity if you will, of coming off as holier than thou, thinking everyone else here must be stupid or inept.
The fact of the matter is that there are very few, if any, rocker arm components that are truly perfect out of the box that will work perfectly for every situation. I've been making tapered and offset tapered shims for many years to correct those issues when they don't fall into acceptable standards. The key here is what is deemed "acceptable" for the application. Now keep in mind I've probably only installed fewer than 100 sets of HS rocker arms, but you know what, none of them have shown to be "unacceptable" in geometry and none of those sets if corrected would've amounted to a hill of beans in better longevity, strength or valve train stability. Perhaps that's why those rockers are so highly regarded by most.
Lastly, if you have a point to make, perhaps you could show people how you went about correcting the geometry on those HS rockers for a given situation instead of implying that someone promotes only because they may sell them or make a profit by selling them. I sell all of the major brands of rocker arms, so I have no agenda whatsoever other than to tell you, you may want to think things through the next time you choose to insult someone who probably has 100 times more experience and dedication to engine building and motorsports in general.

Why is it every time you have a disagreement with me, the name calling starts?

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: BradH] #1555158
01/06/14 02:42 PM
01/06/14 02:42 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Crap, now I've got to figure out if I fall into the "stupid" or "inept" category...

Hey Brad, don't worry, there was a third and forth option there I didn't bother to list, so you don't fall in either of the ones I did list.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: 70satelliteguy] #1555159
01/06/14 02:45 PM
01/06/14 02:45 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

So after all of this discussion I am wondering . I purchased the "limited edition" Bushed Harland rockers from Mancini racing to go on my mild street build 440 with 440 Source heads.I am planning on putting the motor in this winter. Did I make a mistake?

Mike

On a mild street build, I think you would have been better off with stockers.

Mike Beachel

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: B3RE] #1555160
01/06/14 02:53 PM
01/06/14 02:53 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I need a keyboard that has a "tone" key so I am not interpreted as being a jerk. That is not my intention and is, in fact, more of a emphatic plea to please, for the sake of your motor, think about this stuff.

I don't post here very often but I do read many of the posts nonetheless. You come off as a real jackazz know it all most of the time to push your own agenda to sell your products.
I don't need a "tone" key because I have a tendency to speak what's on my mind and if I offend someone, it's usually my intention to do so, just like it is yours.
You seem to think you're the only person on this entire site that understands rocker arm geometry and the math to go along with it. Sorry buddy, you'd be dead wrong on that. You seem to have this natural gift, or propensity if you will, of coming off as holier than thou, thinking everyone else here must be stupid or inept.
The fact of the matter is that there are very few, if any, rocker arm components that are truly perfect out of the box that will work perfectly for every situation. I've been making tapered and offset tapered shims for many years to correct those issues when they don't fall into acceptable standards. The key here is what is deemed "acceptable" for the application. Now keep in mind I've probably only installed fewer than 100 sets of HS rocker arms, but you know what, none of them have shown to be "unacceptable" in geometry and none of those sets if corrected would've amounted to a hill of beans in better longevity, strength or valve train stability. Perhaps that's why those rockers are so highly regarded by most.
Lastly, if you have a point to make, perhaps you could show people how you went about correcting the geometry on those HS rockers for a given situation instead of implying that someone promotes only because they may sell them or make a profit by selling them. I sell all of the major brands of rocker arms, so I have no agenda whatsoever other than to tell you, you may want to think things through the next time you choose to insult someone who probably has 100 times more experience and dedication to engine building and motorsports in general.

Why is it every time you have a disagreement with me, the name calling starts?

Try to focus on the bigger picture and put it all in context. You're the guy that claims to offer free advice, right? Where is it?
Is the extent of your free advice to tell everyone to send you their measurements and you can correct their geometry, because it sure looks that way. That way you can sell your product here instead of on Craigslist. Is your only reason for being here to sell your product, because it certainly seems that way.
In the end you may have some valid information, but it's quite clear you're not actually ready to share any of it other than to tell everyone the Mopar rocker geometry is all messed up and has to be corrected. Lastly, I don't recall actually calling you a name you didn't like in the past. Sorry, that's my mistake, I call it like I see it.

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Performance Only] #1555161
01/06/14 05:09 PM
01/06/14 05:09 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Try to focus on the bigger picture and put it all in context. You're the guy that claims to offer free advice, right? Where is it?
Is the extent of your free advice to tell everyone to send you their measurements and you can correct their geometry, because it sure looks that way. That way you can sell your product here instead of on Craigslist. Is your only reason for being here to sell your product, because it certainly seems that way.
In the end you may have some valid information, but it's quite clear you're not actually ready to share any of it other than to tell everyone the Mopar rocker geometry is all messed up and has to be corrected. Lastly, I don't recall actually calling you a name you didn't like in the past. Sorry, that's my mistake, I call it like I see it.

Did I say anything about a product in this thread? If you are referring to another thread, I'd be willing to bet a search of your posts would show you promoting yourself as well. So would just about every other member that has a business. BTW, the other thread you refer to was by request by some of your fellow members.

Before this thread, I hadn't posted for quite some time, although like you, I have been reading many of them. I didn't try to discourage the OP from buying HS rockers, but when I saw information that I didn't agree with, I spoke up, just like you and other members do.

When I asked if he was a dealer or profited in some kind of way, it was because a businessman will promote the products he manufactures and/or sells in order to stay in business. There is nothing wrong with that, but you have to be aware of any biases. BTW, he didn't confirm or deny that status, just became offended thinking I insinuated he was ripping off Moparts members. I was not and I apologized for making him think that I was.

Then you came along and decided you needed to attack me and call me names and make assumptions that you know more about me than I know about myself. I purposely don't tell a lot about myself because I want people to think about what I am saying, and not about who they think I am. I certainly don't need any help being stereotyped.

If I come across as a know it all, I can assure you I do not know it all. I am however passionate about valvetrain geometry and chose to specialize in it because it is so important and few truly understand it (and the ones who do ain't talkin').
If I come across as holier than thou, maybe I'm an ordained minister. You never know. JK

As far as free advice, everything I have tried to explain on here has been free and I know a lot of members have benefitted from it. Outside of showing up on every members doorstep and doing a demonstration of correct valvetrain geometry, I don't know what you want me to offer. I suppose I could buy everyone a couple manufacturing machines, tooling, fixturing, and materials, give them the formulas and a brand spanking new calculator, and tell them to go to town. Of course, it would have to all be free.

As far as my presence here goes, I am not just here to sell parts as you insinuate. I just don't voice my opinions on many other topics(some have an opinion on everything), because I choose to do that in the area I specialize. My choice. I still try to learn as much as I can from those who are more knowledgeable in other areas.

And finally, I also call it like I see it, but I don't call people as I see them, unless I have something nice to say. In all sincerity Dan, Have a pleasant day!

Mike Beachel

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: B3RE] #1555162
01/06/14 05:35 PM
01/06/14 05:35 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.

Hello Mike,
Speaking for myself not fellow members, I would find it very helpful to SEE charts, video, dyno results, test runs, or spin tron data helping me understand the improvements that you are offering through your math, and products.
I know that for me if a product provides expected HP results, and longevity, that is all I am wanting for my $. Given that, the HS rockers would fill my needs.
Please provide some illustration,or other visual aids, to help educate me as to the benefits of your help/products.
Thanks,
Mark

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: B3RE] #1555163
01/06/14 05:39 PM
01/06/14 05:39 PM
Mass.
80fbody Offline
mopar
80fbody  Offline
mopar

Mass.
Just saying "few truly understand" makes you a d**chebag in my book. You've not had one piece of good advice on any post that would help the OP or even a small time guy like myself.

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: B3RE] #1555164
01/06/14 06:27 PM
01/06/14 06:27 PM
Holly/MI
D
Dean_Kuzluzski Offline
master
Dean_Kuzluzski  Offline
master
D

Holly/MI
It appears the someone is trying to create a mystic/voodoo art out of checking the "rollpath" & "side clearance" of a given rocker assembly?!?!? We could call it "creating your own niche".

Any further than that we're talking modifications to the rocker body to change the rocker rail axis, either away from or closer to the crankshaft centerline, moving the start/stop of the "rollpath" or the angle that it is in relation to the crankshaft as delivered???

Having taken YEARS of calculus and trig., I'm pretty familiar with a 3 space/dimension view of things.

Care to elaborate as to the depth that you correct any alleged faults??

This is info that would need to be discussed prior to any arrangement of work performed anyways. So, it's in your best interest to share now.

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Dean_Kuzluzski] #1555165
01/06/14 06:53 PM
01/06/14 06:53 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

This is info that would need to be discussed prior to any arrangement of work performed anyways.

FWIW, some of what you're asking about may be shown in his parts advertisement here: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7923218

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Performance Only] #1555166
01/06/14 06:56 PM
01/06/14 06:56 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Brad, don't worry, there was a third and forth option there I didn't bother to list, so you don't fall in either of the ones I did list.

Oh, you must mean:
#3 - Moparts keyboard junkie w/o a running Mopar for over 3 years
#4 - Anal-retentive drag tech-o-phile w/o a timeslip to his name for over 3 years

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: BradH] #1555167
01/06/14 11:40 PM
01/06/14 11:40 PM
Holly/MI
D
Dean_Kuzluzski Offline
master
Dean_Kuzluzski  Offline
master
D

Holly/MI
Quote:

Quote:

This is info that would need to be discussed prior to any arrangement of work performed anyways.

FWIW, some of what you're asking about may be shown in his parts advertisement here: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7923218

OK, Thanks.
Very interesting product.

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Dean_Kuzluzski] #1555168
01/09/14 06:33 PM
01/09/14 06:33 PM
Ontario, Canada
W
Wedge7070 Offline
Wedge7070  Offline
W

Ontario, Canada
Oh my all this bantering....Some of us just want a simple yes or no with validated reasoning. As I as well have the Mancini H/S bushed rockers for my 431 stroker with Mopar aluminum heads (P5153524) with a Mopar .528 solid cam. So are these rockers a good choice?
Thank you.

1970 Challenger 1970 Road Runner 1970 Duster 1968 Charger 1969 Charger 2005 Ram Quad 1500
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Wedge7070] #1555169
01/09/14 06:55 PM
01/09/14 06:55 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Oh my all this bantering....Some of us just want a simple yes or no with validated reasoning. As I as well have the Mancini H/S bushed rockers for my 431 stroker with Mopar aluminum heads (P5153524) with a Mopar .528 solid cam. So are these rockers a good choice?
Thank you.

More banter for you. You have the Mancini "UNBUSHED" rockers. For your combo they should be okay.

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Wedge7070] #1555170
01/09/14 06:59 PM
01/09/14 06:59 PM
Mass.
80fbody Offline
mopar
80fbody  Offline
mopar

Mass.
I have a bud that put them on a 440/6pak recently. He's was very happy with the quality for the money. They fit great with the 906 heads. I wouldn't hesitate to run them.

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: 80fbody] #1555171
01/11/14 03:43 AM
01/11/14 03:43 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
i run the Harlands....no problems after 3 seasons...

heres an interesting pic---Harlands and Cranes =

I also ran a USED set of DOVE blue rockers for 2 or 3 years with zero problems. And a set of Isky ol school iron rockers with no probs.

I dont know Jack--but I check ALL my stuff when Im building...and I have never had a major failure. Were my rockers off on the ratio ?? probably..who cares ? i race brackets .

Last edited by 493_DART; 01/11/14 04:01 AM.
Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: 493_DART] #1555172
01/11/14 11:23 AM
01/11/14 11:23 AM
MD
JACK1440 Offline
mopar
JACK1440  Offline
mopar

MD
Love the comparison picture. I never realized the difference. My experience was this. I started with the ductile rockers about 20 years ago. Went to the full roller HS and saw '60 improvements. Ran them for about 8 years with different style cams eventually being a roller. They started to break around the shaft and when the 3rd one broke I pulled them off. I think they were just getting tired. Well budget kept me from buying another set so, I bought the crane golds and have had zero problems. The roller fulcrum is definitely nice but, all depends on your wallet.

Re: tell me about harland sharp rockers- roller vs bushed [Re: Performance Only] #1555173
01/24/14 06:16 PM
01/24/14 06:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
W
Wedge7070 Offline
Wedge7070  Offline
W

Ontario, Canada
I took my Mancini " Harland Sharps" out of the box......the axle for roller tip is crudely peened over....not sure how long that will last. I will upload a picture soon. Starting to think real Harland Sharps S70015K or comp pro magnums 1621-16

1970 Challenger 1970 Road Runner 1970 Duster 1968 Charger 1969 Charger 2005 Ram Quad 1500
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3