12/20/13 11:59 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

I would just leave the second ring off the TRWs. Stick a Herbert cam kit in it and run it.

I agree. Watch the rpm, proper cam and let it rip. To many times we worry about what might happen, not what will happen. There's been thousands of motors built with old cams, old pistons, stock rods. Ideal, no. The best set-up, no. Will it work, more than likely. I've seen plenty of modern piston, modern cam motors that are turds, as well as old school stuff that runs better than it has right to. For what it's worth I've run this style piston with a single compression ring in the past w/o issue.
Doug

Re: What would you limit this short block to? [Re: dvw] #1547328
12/21/13 02:24 AM
12/21/13 02:24 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

I would just leave the second ring off the TRWs. Stick a Herbert cam kit in it and run it.

I agree. Watch the rpm, proper cam and let it rip. To many times we worry about what might happen, not what will happen. There's been thousands of motors built with old cams, old pistons, stock rods. Ideal, no. The best set-up, no. Will it work, more than likely. I've seen plenty of modern piston, modern cam motors that are turds, as well as old school stuff that runs better than it has right to. For what it's worth I've run this style piston with a single compression ring in the past w/o issue.
Doug

I tried one time of not using the second ring on NHRA legal Street Hemi motor, never agian on a motor that does not have a vacume pump It started smoking and using a tiny bit of oil right away I wouldn't try it agian now either, especially on a street and strip motor

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: What would you limit this short block to? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1547329
12/21/13 03:12 AM
12/21/13 03:12 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

I tried one time of not using the second ring on NHRA legal Street Hemi motor, never agian on a motor that does not have a vacume pump It started smoking and using a tiny bit of oil right away I wouldn't try it agian now either, especially on a street and strip motor

Mine had no smoke issues at all.

Re: What would you limit this short block to? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1547330
12/21/13 03:19 AM
12/21/13 03:19 AM
Moparts
S
SSDart Offline
SSDart  Offline
S

Moparts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

I think the OP has decided on running a different piston........ but if he wants to run the TRW's then have the rings back cut to a .155 radial wall........... it will be huge in gains...

Re: What would you limit this short block to? [Re: SSDart] #1547331
12/21/13 05:58 AM
12/21/13 05:58 AM
VA.
M
mosweethemi Offline
mopar
mosweethemi  Offline
mopar
M

VA.
Hey We have ran the TRW L2395 AND L2355 PISTONS for years in all of my Mopar engines and had not any trouble, From 340-383 -440 ,one four, two fours .three twos, single plane , dual plane tunnel ram, cross ram, ANY BORE ,020 030 040 060.a Cast Crank. steel crank, Steel Rods After market Rods, cams ,Crane, Comp , Mopar ,We ran a 1970 Cuda for 15 years or more ,440 - 030 iron Heads 906 heads, Roller Cam R286 Roller Rockers , Tunnel Ram two 660 Carbs , Headers ,Dana 513 Rear End. Car Ran 1030,s All day and All night ever time. 6500 RPM to 6800 RPM. Automatic Car. All of my street car engines I put the TRW Pistons in .I like the TRW,S (A REAL MOPAR MAN)

Re: What would you limit this short block to? [Re: mosweethemi] #1547332
12/21/13 05:08 PM
12/21/13 05:08 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
6K I think you're plenty safe, don't know much about the RPM rods.

A buddy has a 440 thats been together for years with the heavy six pack slugs AND six pack rods, he used to turn 6600 on the track (Street and Strip car) and hes been beating it on the street for years. Oh and his tach hasn't worked for the past 10. Who knows how high hes been zinging it

All I know its its a 440 A body with slicks and on the street, its shits and gets for sure

Last edited by GTX MATT; 12/21/13 05:09 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2