SLOW67 Offline OP
super stock
SLOW67  Offline OP
super stock
S

NC
Quote:

Your gonna do what you want... but in my opinion a
return is a much better set up.. but what do I know..
I didnt stay in a Holiday Inn.. but I did work in the
fuel lab for 30+ years... when we started with perf
or injected we ran a return line... some time later
we dropped it... for 1 reason.. repeat.. 1 reason ONLY
and that was cost... but the company will do anything
to cut cost... but I also understand a budget... but
also sometimes you need to save a bit more before
you jump........... JMO

I'm going to rerun the return

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: SLOW67] #1540699
11/28/13 12:29 AM
11/28/13 12:29 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In a returnless system I understand that fuel is warmer when it gets to the carb as opposed to a return system. My question is how much of a difference does it really make? I am preparing to make my fuel system NHRA approved and I can save alot of money putting my reg. in the trunk with the pump and tank and just running my low pressure side to the front of the car. Will there really be that much of a difference on a street/strip car?

This is at least the 2nd time in two post that you used the terms "cheap" and sometimes it works but generally it doesn`t........just check out past posts about dampners, heads pumps etc. Don`t cheap out on the fuel system or it will bite you in the azz............

I understand what your saying, but I don't have much if any of a budget sometimes and I've literally built this car myself with the cheapest speed parts I can find and none have let me down yet. In over 2 years I've put close to 20k miles on this setup that was built entirely from chinese ebay parts and the only part to let me down has been the head gaskets, one of which was the original from 1976.

I like the idea of running one less line to the front for two reasons, one CHEAP and two, anywhere I can simplify or make a system more modular I will do it. If I only have one line to the front of the car it will make it so my pump, reg., and tank are all in one place. Easier to start looking for problems if one arose, and makes for a simple install.

I get it............I`m not money bags like some either cos if I was I`d be driving an 8-second car and have the best of everything however, I buy good stuff when I can and wait if I can`t. Some people actually brag about e-bag stuff, chinese this and that and if that`s your gig go for it.

Last edited by Thumperdart; 11/28/13 02:07 AM.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: 70HemiGTX] #1540700
11/28/13 12:31 AM
11/28/13 12:31 AM
Raleigh, NC
J
j.mcconnell Offline
mopar
j.mcconnell  Offline
mopar
J

Raleigh, NC
Gates Barricade carb or efi hose can be had for cheap on eBay. Significantly cheaper than other fuel hose, e85 compatible and if routed wisely you can get away with only a handful of fittings. I'd go 3/8th barricade efi hose, walbro 400 and a used mallory 4309 or aeromotive 13204 regulator. Parker 801 is another option. JIC fitting are often cheaper than "AN" fittings but are the same thing.

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Thumperdart] #1540701
11/28/13 12:47 AM
11/28/13 12:47 AM
Raleigh, NC
J
j.mcconnell Offline
mopar
j.mcconnell  Offline
mopar
J

Raleigh, NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In a returnless system I understand that fuel is warmer when it gets to the carb as opposed to a return system. My question is how much of a difference does it really make? I am preparing to make my fuel system NHRA approved and I can save alot of money putting my reg. in the trunk with the pump and tank and just running my low pressure side to the front of the car. Will there really be that much of a difference on a street/strip car?

This is at least the 2nd time in two post that you used the terms "cheap" and sometimes it works but generally it doesn`t........just check out past posts about dampners, heads pumps etc. Don`t cheap out on the fuel system or it will bite you in the azz............

I understand what your saying, but I don't have much if any of a budget sometimes and I've literally built this car myself with the cheapest speed parts I can find and none have let me down yet. In over 2 years I've put close to 20k miles on this setup that was built entirely from chinese ebay parts and the only part to let me down has been the head gaskets, one of which was the original from 1976.

I like the idea of running one less line to the front for two reasons, one CHEAP and two, anywhere I can simplify or make a system more modular I will do it. If I only have one line to the front of the car it will make it so my pump, reg., and tank are all in one place. Easier to start looking for problems if one arose, and makes for a simple install.

I get it............I`m not money bags like some either cos if I was I`d be driving an 8-second car and have the best of everything however, I but good stuff when I can and wait if I can`t. Some people actually brag about e-bag stuff, chinese this and that and if that`s your gig go for it.

Thumper, when he's running 10s with $1000 in china-bay and junkyard parts while cruising down the street at 2500 rpm or less, you may rethink all the "good stuff" in your big block

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: j.mcconnell] #1540702
11/28/13 12:56 AM
11/28/13 12:56 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Thumper, when he's running 10s with $1000 in china-bay and junkyard parts while cruising down the street at 2500 rpm or less, you may rethink all the "good stuff" in your big block

I'll take my chances with better quality parts...
I tend to buy American made stuff if at all possible
but thats me... I dont care if I have to save a bit
longer to get them.. or maybe I have to do a extra
side job to cover it

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1540703
11/28/13 01:56 AM
11/28/13 01:56 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
I used the Morroso bleed off regulator. The reg. was set at 8# and excess fuel bled back to tank with no restriction to the carbs since they fed directly from pump. At idle alot of bleed off, full throttle none. Worked great I'll use it again on my next car.

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: j.mcconnell] #1540704
11/28/13 02:03 AM
11/28/13 02:03 AM
NC
S
SLOW67 Offline OP
super stock
SLOW67  Offline OP
super stock
S

NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I get it............I`m not money bags like some either cos if I was I`d be driving an 8-second car and have the best of everything however, I but good stuff when I can and wait if I can`t. Some people actually brag about e-bag stuff, chinese this and that and if that`s your gig go for it.

When I get the 360 in and can afford a good converter it should be running high 10's My last track pass was a 7.82 at 96 in the 1/8th. My 60' is terrible but my N20 kit should fix that when I get it wired finally. Keep in mind this is with a BONE STOCK 76 318. It gets right at 16mpg on the way to cruise-ins and will run on 87 octane if I turn the boost down and the timing back Ebay parts are the only way I could afford to make any power. I've got less in my whole turbo setup, fuel system and electronics than it would have cost me to build a 450hp 360. The only thing I spent good money on was the rearend it has Dr. Diff axles

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: SLOW67] #1540705
11/28/13 02:44 AM
11/28/13 02:44 AM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
I have been running a by-pass system for quite a number years now and it has worked flawless.....till I switched to E-85 this summer and installed a new Mallory comp 250 pump as opposed to the comp 140 that I had run before, now I cannot get the fuel pressure low enough so I am installing a new -10an return line and fittings as the -08an isn't big enough and creates a restriction,,I also run a fuel log right on the carb and run the supply line right to it so the carb gets full volume, then a line to the regulator then use the regulater to bleed off unneeded fuel back to the cell. works great and the pump doesnt strain and runs much quieter and cooler.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: dartman366] #1540706
11/28/13 11:04 AM
11/28/13 11:04 AM
Metro Detroit
OUTLAWD Offline
top fuel
OUTLAWD  Offline
top fuel

Metro Detroit
I ran my feed/return with 1/2 ss hardline. Ended up being less than $2/ft IIRC. Some swagelok type fittings from McMaster, a borrowed tubing bender, and a satuday was all I needed. All those an fittings add up quickly though!

Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

71 Swinger - slowly collecting dust/parts
66 Belv. II - just a streetcar
88 Mustang - turbo LS beater
Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: j.mcconnell] #1540707
11/28/13 01:36 PM
11/28/13 01:36 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doubt it..............plus 9`s are WAY more fun than 10`s but thankxxx 4 ur concern..........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: cudaman1969] #1540708
11/28/13 01:45 PM
11/28/13 01:45 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Chris2581 Offline
master
Chris2581  Offline
master

Jacksonville, FL
Quote:

I used the Morroso bleed off regulator. The reg. was set at 8# and excess fuel bled back to tank with no restriction to the carbs since they fed directly from pump. At idle alot of bleed off, full throttle none. Worked great I'll use it again on my next car.

Have a part number for this? Or is it the Moroso fuel pressure log?

Nautilus Racing-
We use Superformance gaskets and Turbo Action converters/products.
Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Chris2581] #1540709
11/28/13 02:51 PM
11/28/13 02:51 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I forgot to mention that all the Magnafuel fuel pumps have a builtin bypass from the front of the pump, high pressure side, that you run back into the tank so it is a bypass system with no return line from the front I mount my regulators in front of the motor so the high pressures is all the way to the front of the motor and the lower regulated pressure is to the carb. I haven't ran a dead headed system since switching from the smaller dead head pumps like the little blue 110GPH Holleys and the Mallory 140 GPH pumps One thing you really need to make sure of on a drag car is that you really have more fuel delivery than you need If you can not jet your car up enough to slow it down in the 1/4 mile MPH you don't have enough fuel volume

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1540710
11/28/13 03:24 PM
11/28/13 03:24 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

I forgot to mention that all the Magnafuel fuel pumps have a builtin bypass from the front of the pump, high pressure side, that you run back into the tank so it is a bypass system with no return line from the front I mount my regulators in front of the motor so the high pressures is all the way to the front of the motor and the lower regulated pressure is to the carb. I haven't ran a dead headed system since switching from the smaller dead head pumps like the little blue 110GPH Holleys and the Mallory 140 GPH pumps One thing you really need to make sure of on a drag car is that you really have more fuel delivery than you need If you can not jet your car up enough to slow it down in the 1/4 mile MPH you don't have enough fuel volume

Agreed...........I love the Magnafuel 300 pump and it too bypasses directly into the cell which saves lots of extra fuel line and fittings and looks cleaner to boot.............

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Thumperdart] #1540711
11/28/13 04:26 PM
11/28/13 04:26 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

what are you guys running for the return line going into the fuel cell?

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Quicktree] #1540712
11/28/13 04:50 PM
11/28/13 04:50 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Number 8.............

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Thumperdart] #1540713
11/28/13 04:57 PM
11/28/13 04:57 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Number 8.............

I meant is there some kind of tube going in the cell or just dumping it back in from the top. my arrow just dumps it back in.

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Chris2581] #1540714
11/28/13 04:59 PM
11/28/13 04:59 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Quote:

Quote:

Have a part number for this? Or is it the Moroso fuel pressure log?

I think it's the fuel log, been about 8 years, worked well, 5.60- 125 in the eighth mile

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Quicktree] #1540715
11/28/13 05:00 PM
11/28/13 05:00 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

currently -08, will be upgrading to -10 this winter.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: Quicktree] #1540716
11/28/13 05:02 PM
11/28/13 05:02 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Number 8.............

I meant is there some kind of tube going in the cell or just dumping it back in from the top. my arrow just dumps it back in.

mine just dumps in like yours.

Re: Return line fuel system? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1540717
11/28/13 06:13 PM
11/28/13 06:13 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

I'll take my chances with better quality parts...
I tend to buy American made stuff if at all possible
but thats me... I dont care if I have to save a bit
longer to get them.. or maybe I have to do a extra
side job to cover it

Moparts is the epitome of "budget" parts. Not everyone but quite a few. I buy nothing but the best. My life is worth that to me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3