MN
S
Skid_Demon Offline OP
enthusiast
Skid_Demon  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

MN
Greetings. I had an older dodge pickup with a volarie front clip, 360/auto and 8.75 rear end. Fun, but time to move on. I am looking for a 1946 to 1956 dodge pick up. It might have a running flat head or not. Looking to keep it as a manual tranny truck. Rode shotgun in a few of these and didn't look too fun or smooth to use the stock 3 or 4 speed. Would a v6 5 speed from a Dakota work? 225 or 318 with a manual overdrive? If the flat head runs, s 10 5 speed? I realize auto would be the easiest, but I have a drop top cruiser that's an auto and looking for something different to drive. Keeping the original steering is okay but I would add disc brakes to the front and change out the rear end too. I don't mind using to flat head if it's a runner or going with a slant 6 or small block v8. Have any of you done this? Keeping budget in mind, what do you think? We have a lot to be thankful for. Mopars is just one of them. Thanks for your ideas.

Re: Newer engine and manual tranny in older truck? [Re: Skid_Demon] #1540511
11/28/13 12:42 AM
11/28/13 12:42 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Online content
I Live Here
poorboy  Online Content
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

Greetings. I had an older dodge pickup with a volarie front clip, 360/auto and 8.75 rear end. Fun, but time to move on. I am looking for a 1946 to 1956 dodge pick up. It might have a running flat head or not. Looking to keep it as a manual tranny truck. Rode shotgun in a few of these and didn't look too fun or smooth to use the stock 3 or 4 speed. Would a v6 5 speed from a Dakota work? 225 or 318 with a manual overdrive? If the flat head runs, s 10 5 speed? I realize auto would be the easiest, but I have a drop top cruiser that's an auto and looking for something different to drive. Keeping the original steering is okay but I would add disc brakes to the front and change out the rear end too. I don't mind using to flat head if it's a runner or going with a slant 6 or small block v8. Have any of you done this? Keeping budget in mind, what do you think? We have a lot to be thankful for. Mopars is just one of them. Thanks for your ideas.

OK, so the first stupid question is, why don't you put a 4 or 5 speed in the truck you already have? Pull the 4 speed or 5 speed out of a mid 80 Dodge pickup and swap it in for the auto currently there.

46-56 is a wide range, covers 3 different Dodge truck series, what needs to be done is similar, but different between all 3 series. That said, a Dakota donner up to around 2,000 (somewhere after 2,000 they changed a lot of stuff under the Dakotas and the newer stuff requires more work to be a good donner), is an excellent source of parts. The Dakota frame, front suspension, and drive train will fit pretty well in all 3 series.
Disc brake conversions are available for the trucks of the era you want, but things like power steering will be a challenge if the original beam axle is used. Whatever truck you get that was originally built before 1964, plan on updating the rear axle for better gears and better brakes. There are lots of easy to find options for rear axles. Any Mopar motor will be a great motor for whatever truck you get, (don't overlook the 5.7 Hemi either) and a 4 speed, 4 speed OD, a 5 speed or even a 6 speed would be great transmission choices. A 3 speed would also work, but if I'm going through the work of changing stuff, there will be at least a 4 speed in there.

I suggest you look around this street rod section because most of this stuff has been covered many times already.

We do indeed have a lot to be thankful for.
Gene

Re: Newer engine and manual tranny in older truck? [Re: poorboy] #1540512
11/28/13 10:45 AM
11/28/13 10:45 AM
mn
F
flyman Offline
flyman  Offline
F

mn
I think you missed the key word HAD, past tense.