11/07/13 01:52 PM
11/07/13 01:52 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Was there an investor's packet? Were the 'investors' given a written document explaining the risks that they signed and returned? Did the investors understand how much of the company they owned and how they would be compensated?

When the foundry 'lost the tooling' there was a fiduciary duty on behalf of the investors to sue to protect their investment - was this done?

That's quite a yarn. Maybe it's true. Or maybe a guy made a bunch of promises to customers, took their money ahead of time, screwed up, paid some only people back to some degree, and figured the others could just eat it.

Either way, this is a cautionary tale for all involved and all reading.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: jcc] #1525474
11/07/13 01:59 PM
11/07/13 01:59 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, it surprises me how many people are giving the OP flak over this. Certainly the first to scream if it happened to them.

It's sad that people are so numb to the idea of making this right. OP might as well post this on any car forum he can find.

Yea the "divided we fall mentality", I don't understand the lynch without due process concept. And I don't understand why asking for hearing the other side is giving the OP flak. NOBODY, I repeat, NOBODY has stated that the OP does not deserve his money returned, GOT IT?

^^^Yet another example of it, thanks. Quit trying for the lock.

The other side has been asked for REPEATEDLY and nothing came back. That is nonsense.

I asked a question about what I don't understand and your response is "trying for a lock". Nice attempt at avoiding the issue, you in cahoots with US tool?

Give it a rest guy. You have been giving a pass to the party that choose not to respond.

Re: Appology and facts [Re: calmopar] #1525475
11/07/13 02:07 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

Was there an investor's packet? Were the 'investors' given a written document explaining the risks that they signed and returned? Did the investors understand how much of the company they owned and how they would be compensated?

When the foundry 'lost the tooling' there was a fiduciary duty on behalf of the investors to sue to protect their investment - was this done?

That's quite a yarn. Maybe it's true. Or maybe a guy made a bunch of promises to customers, took their money ahead of time, screwed up, paid some only people back to some degree, and figured the others could just eat it.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of bringing up essentially the same questions about them being "investors" as opposed to "customers".

My U.S. Car Tool driveshaft loop works great. It's the only and last product I ever see myself buying from John P., however, as a direct result of this debacle.

Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: SomeCarGuy] #1525476
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
The response from John is . That is the first any of the 50 people seem to be considing this as an "investment" in his business. That is totally different than a pre order of a product.

If I buy stock in a start up, I don't go in thinking I get a product they make. These people signed up for a product, not an investment.

Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: B5 Bee] #1525477
11/07/13 02:16 PM
11/07/13 02:16 PM
North Pole,New York
F
formula_s Offline
master
formula_s  Offline
master
F

North Pole,New York
Quote:

Quote:

John Paseman..... This is not his first scam against the Mopar community, who remembers the 69 GTX he had on HEMINET years ago? It was a gold car with a bench seat...... Anyone recall??

Care to fill others in that don't remember?

He had a very nice 69 GTX on HEMINET back around 2000 or so, column auto, bench seat. I emailed him about the car, turns out it was a REBODY.

Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: Hemi_Joel] #1525478
11/07/13 02:29 PM
11/07/13 02:29 PM
NH
torredcuda Offline
super stock
torredcuda  Offline
super stock

NH
Quote:

When a company fails (assuming that it is not a sole propritorship) , the investors, the vendors, and the customers all lose out. That's the way it is and the way it has to be. It is not a scam if it is not intentional.

When an honest hard working mans business fails, and he has exausted all of the business' resources and closes the business, it's over.
He is now free to gain new investors an re-start fresh. It would be neither fair or legally prudent to ask the new investors to make good on debts from a defunct company.
It sucks for those who lose their investments, deposits, gift cards, etc. I'm sure it hurts worse for the owners such as John who give it all they have and lose everything.
It needs to be this way, or we would not have the great benefits we gain from the risk takers. Look at Henry Ford, and most of the great men who built the auto industry. Many failures and fresh starts happened before success.

If John started his new business with the same or similar name, that was a big mistake, and he should expect problems like this.

If I was John I would personally (outside of the new company) come to agreement with the op.
If I was the op, I would forget it and move on.

It can also be an easy way out taking the cash fromt he business but not paying any of the debt, declare bankruptcy and then they just re-open a new business and make money again screwing the customers from the old business. Also happens this way a lot.

Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: HMcCandless_Jr] #1525479
11/07/13 03:02 PM
11/07/13 03:02 PM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline
master
Old_Moparz  Offline
master

Newburgh, NY
Quote:

I spoke to John today and told him to take care of this, he told me he hasn't looked at the thread, but then when I said there were links to yahoo groups he yes "I know" I immediately responded with how do you know if you haven't seen it. He is very aware and chooses not to deal with it. He did tell me I could broker a deal to get Mitchel his money back under the condition that this post go away, are you serious, just remember you cant get in trouble for telling the truth even if its bad about someone.

Looks like John himself confirmed this when posting his "apology" for failing.

I've seen the vending space at Carlisle every year & have been enticed to look into the products & services for one car I have. Not now. I was burned by a restoration shop many years ago in the mid 1980's. Lost over $4000 out of pocket, plus the car needed to be redone from the poor work that was done on it. I swore that if I ever saw any hint of a red flag again from a vendor I'd run.

See you at the finish line.

Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: torredcuda] #1525480
11/07/13 03:07 PM
11/07/13 03:07 PM
Strathroy, Ontario
BS27R1B Offline
master
BS27R1B  Offline
master

Strathroy, Ontario
Quote:

But I still had no way to produce the injection molded part and that ultimately was the demise of the project. I have the hard tooling, I have the method to cast the metal ring, I have the tooling for the injection molded part and no way to produce those parts without an enormous cost.

So where is the tooling today?

Was it sold off as part of a liquidation of the original company?

Did you(John) retain them? If so you must recognize some potential future value.

If John has the tooling that others helped pay for why not offer them the tooling as a settlement? It would not cost John additional cash and the group could decide to pursue the project or sell the assets they 'invested' in to possibly recoup some of their money.

'.. it was long ago and it was far away, and it was so much better than it is today..'
Jim Steinman
Re: Appology and facts [Re: John426] #1525481
11/07/13 03:13 PM
11/07/13 03:13 PM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA

The Charger Medallion project failed, the company and I failed, but there is no scam about it. The rumors of the amount of money I have seen are just wrong. Most of the investment money was returned by me, until I simply was out of money.

Those are the facts. I spent a lot of time and money on the Medallion project and it did not succeed. Some of my investors lost money and I again apologize to you few folks.

John Pasemann

Your job & new business must be in the red
You've had at least 6 years after the excuses stopped to pay all 50 over a 72 month period of time & you selected certain ones to pay

Just let the rest know when you get your new cnc mill dialed in on the money & I bet this bunch will think better of you as well as the rest of the internet

Re: Appology and facts [Re: BulletBob] #1525482
11/07/13 03:52 PM
11/07/13 03:52 PM
AL
J
jglen490 Offline
mopar
jglen490  Offline
mopar
J

AL
Everybody's been moaning a groaning about John Paseman not coming on to give his side of the story. He has. Now all the barracks lawyers and barracks ethicists are coming out of the woodwork telling him - or at least each other - how he should run his life and his business.

You yelled, he came. Time to move on

Re: Appology and facts [Re: jglen490] #1525483
11/07/13 04:01 PM
11/07/13 04:01 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Everybody's been moaning a groaning about John Paseman not coming on to give his side of the story. He has. Now all the barracks lawyers and barracks ethicists are coming out of the woodwork telling him - or at least each other - how he should run his life and his business.

its time for john to pay the man the money he owes him. thats what time it is.

Re: Appology and facts [Re: jglen490] #1525484
11/07/13 05:13 PM
11/07/13 05:13 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Quote:

Time for Pasemen to pay up so we can move. That's what Mr Mediator should have said.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Appology and facts [Re: 2boltmain] #1525485
11/07/13 06:51 PM
11/07/13 06:51 PM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
He said he was sorry, now we're supposed to forget about it. Just like a kid in the principle's office thinks it should go

Re: Appology and facts [Re: John426] #1525486
11/07/13 07:10 PM
11/07/13 07:10 PM
new jersey
M
mitchell Offline OP
mitchell  Offline OP
M

new jersey
To me John's apology and facts sound disingenous and misleading , to say the least.

I placed my advanced order with John Pasemann of U.S. Car Tool on 9/26/05. And as late as 3/22/12 John told me by Email That the Charger medallion "project continues" and "I will communicate when I have news". I also have an Email from Chris Lewis on 2/15/13 stating "we are doing better now than ever have as a company". So did U.S. Car Tool go out of business since then? I am aware of the dissolution of John's other company Montclair Technology, Inc. but my credit card statement confirms a payment to US Car Tool. Were there other companies John named U.S. Car Tool, that I am not aware of?

John may have somehow done everything legal, I do't think he did, but I don't know for sure, I am not a lawyer. But hiding behind some legal shenanigans will only make me ask more questions like.
How many people remain needing refunds, (if most were refunded like you say than the worst it should be is $275.00 X 24 = $6,600.00)? After the first 50 people did John take more money from others?
Did John take money from people after he knew the company was going to fail?
How did John choose who gets a refund and who does not?
Were all of the failed company's assets sold to payoff the refunds?
Also what are you going to do with the outer ring mold/tooling, now that it was finally found?

I feel John was not upfront or honest when he took our money. Are we now going to have to ask if we are a cutomer or investor or need to bring a lawyer with us everytime we buy something for our car. If John stays on this path these questions and so many more will keep being brought up, but I'd rather see this matter finally put to rest. So I will ask John Pasemann once again to do the right and honorable thing and pay back everyone that he still owes money to.

Don't let your name be forever linked to the word "scam".

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Appology and facts [Re: mitchell] #1525487
11/07/13 07:14 PM
11/07/13 07:14 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Don't let your name be forever linked to the word "scam".

Too late at this point and his non-apology just cemented it in place.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: Appology and facts [Re: gdonovan] #1525488
11/07/13 07:22 PM
11/07/13 07:22 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
I think JPs "explanation" raises more questions than does answer previous points ....

Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: srt] #1525489
11/07/13 07:24 PM
11/07/13 07:24 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Quote:

Quote:

Just think how easy it would be for USCT to close the lid !!

How could anyone miss this...

Re: Appology and facts [Re: John426] #1525490
11/07/13 07:29 PM
11/07/13 07:29 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
Quote:

An Apology and the facts

I would like to start with an apology to those folks from the 66-67 Charger community that invested in the medallion project with me. I failed, the project failed and I do apologize to you all.

Facts
In 2003 I began a project to produce the decklid medallion from the 66-67 Charger. At the time, there where no parts being reproduced for these cars and they had become very much in need of parts, primarily any trim parts. I have a long standing love of these cars, my Father brought one home when I was 6 years old, it became my Mom’s every day driver, we went on family vacations in the car and it is still in our family. I set out to manufacture the medallion not because it would be a huge commercial success, but because it was a much needed part for the 66-67 Charger community.

I did some early CAD work on the medallion, investigated various methods of manufacturing the parts and discussed this ideas with several potential tool / die companies. I ultimately found one that would work with me on the short run and had some innovative and creative ideas on manufacturing tooling.

I commissioned a CAD model be developed by them and they prepared a tooling cost estimate from that model. The tooling costs was much greater than I could afford and I turned to the 66-67 Charger community for the investment I needed to produce the tooling and short run of parts.

Today, there are many vehicles for this type of funding, crowd sourcing and kickstarter being two large examples, but in 2004/2005 it was pretty innovative. The thought was pretty simple; get a number of the folks that would benefit from the medallion to invest so we could produce the hard tooling and short production run of the parts. Each person would receive a medallion at below the cost of manufacture and we would sell enough to ultimately break even on the project.

I had some of the funds required to produce the tooling and needed to raise the rest, so I asked the owners of 66-67 chargers to participate and they did. I collected enough investors to place the order for the hard tooling. All the folks that gave me money for the project knew the parts did not exist, that we were going to use their money, along with mine, to produce the tooling and then the parts.
Producing the tooling took longer than expected, the tool / die company I was working with was having hard times of their own (that had nothing to do with our project) but we did ultimately get the tooling delivered, with one large problem. They had miscalculated the size of one of the injection mold cavities and they could not produce the part in their machine.

I searched for an alternative that was within our very small budget and had no luck. I had the hard tooling for the metal part transferred to the foundry and they ran a small sample of parts to validate size and fit. Without the injection molding, we were stuck.
This had taken a long time and at this point, I had stopped predicting a date of when the parts would be ready. It was becoming embarrassing to say “60 more days” and then that date would come and go. At one point, I decided to get the metal parts cast so I would have something for the folks that participated in this project with me. I placed an order with the foundry and received devastating news when I followed up with them after 2 weeks; they could not find our tooling. A lot of time had passed since the initial sample run and they could not locate the tooling.

At this point, I was facing the likely hood of having to produce another set of very expensive tooling and the company that had done it for me initially was closed down. I offered folks refunds and quite a few decided to have me return their initial money. Some decided to continue on the project with me, in the hopes we would be able to get this much needed part for the chargers produced.
I continued to explore options for both the injection molding and the hard tooling. Time was passing and one day I called the foundry again and discussed the dilemma with the owner. He said he would look for the tooling and he called me back in a week or so with the news; he had found the tooling!

But I still had no way to produce the injection molded part and that ultimately was the demise of the project. I have the hard tooling, I have the method to cast the metal ring, I have the tooling for the injection molded part and no way to produce those parts without an enormous cost.

During this time, my small business had been floundering (as many did) and we were mostly out of money. I had invested all my savings into the business and its operations and we were surviving week to week. After working very hard and investing all of my money into the business, I had no choice but to close. I was saddened by the realization that we had failed, and even more so for the last few employee’s that had showed an enormous amount of dedication and worked extremely hard to keep us going up to then.

I took a full time job and used the income to subsidize the business. This worked for a short amount of time, but it became evident that that was not an effective long term strategy. I ultimately closed the business. There were bills that did not get paid when we ended that company and the Medallion project was officially a failure. Most of the investors had received refunds and very few lost their money.
I was able to find new funding and partners to start a new company; manufacturing and selling products we designed. We had previously contracted out the manufacturing and decided we could be successful if it was all done in house. The chassis stiffening products have been well received and we have thousands of customers who are happy and satisfied.

The Charger Medallion project failed, the company and I failed, but there is no scam about it. The rumors of the amount of money I have seen are just wrong. Most of the investment money was returned by me, until I simply was out of money.

Those are the facts. I spent a lot of time and money on the Medallion project and it did not succeed. Some of my investors lost money and I again apologize to you few folks.

John Pasemann

Just saving the post incase it gets deleted.

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: Appology and facts [Re: hotairballoonpilot] #1525491
11/07/13 07:45 PM
11/07/13 07:45 PM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
John, don't bother making those Dodge truck suspension parts & you may as well sell the truck you bought to do mock up with too because the truck boys won't spend with you now I bet

Re: U.S. Car Tool " Scam" [Re: Hemi_Joel] #1525492
11/07/13 07:49 PM
11/07/13 07:49 PM
NH
torredcuda Offline
super stock
torredcuda  Offline
super stock

NH
Quote:

When a company fails (assuming that it is not a sole propritorship) , the investors, the vendors, and the customers all lose out. That's the way it is and the way it has to be. It is not a scam if it is not intentional.

When an honest hard working mans business fails, and he has exausted all of the business' resources and closes the business, it's over.
He is now free to gain new investors an re-start fresh. It would be neither fair or legally prudent to ask the new investors to make good on debts from a defunct company.
It sucks for those who lose their investments, deposits, gift cards, etc. I'm sure it hurts worse for the owners such as John who give it all they have and lose everything.
It needs to be this way, or we would not have the great benefits we gain from the risk takers. Look at Henry Ford, and most of the great men who built the auto industry. Many failures and fresh starts happened before success.

If John started his new business with the same or similar name, that was a big mistake, and he should expect problems like this.

If I was John I would personally (outside of the new company) come to agreement with the op.
If I was the op, I would forget it and move on.

If the company the OP gave money to for a pre-purchase actually did declare bankruptcy and go thru court already then the OP, investors, suppiers and such lost out unless the companies assests were distributed to them. If a bankruptcy did not happen then the company still owes refunds or parts. If it did then technically John owes him nothing but ethically and for his reputation still does.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17