10/20/13 08:39 PM
10/20/13 08:39 PM
Kentucky
71blackdemon Offline OP
enthusiast
71blackdemon  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kentucky
my outboard carbs on my sixpack are not working i checked vacuum to the carbs and it does have vacuum so with the engine not running i opened the throttle on the center carb and i sucked on the vacuum hose to the outboards and the back carb moved very little the front one did not move at all so i ordered new diaphrams i hope that fixes it plus when i was sucking on the vacuum hose i could hear the air flowing through the diaphrams like they were leaking anybody have any input it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

7894503-DSCN2033.JPG (118 downloads)
Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520694
10/20/13 08:43 PM
10/20/13 08:43 PM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
The vac passage to diaphrams are also "T"'d into the venturis and you can plug that small hole with your pinky finger if that's small enough. Otherwise the vac test will make you think that the diaphrams are both leaking.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520695
10/20/13 08:46 PM
10/20/13 08:46 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Take off the covers & you'll see where the diaphram has pulled away from the perimeter (highly likely) so it's not sealing & therefore leaking there or the diaphram has a split somewhere & you'll see it if you take it out of the housing. EDIT Do Buildanothers' test first

Last edited by RapidRobert; 10/20/13 08:48 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520696
10/20/13 09:06 PM
10/20/13 09:06 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

my outboard carbs on my sixpack are not working i checked vacuum to the carbs and it does have vacuum so with the engine not running i opened the throttle on the center carb and i sucked on the vacuum hose to the outboards and the back carb moved very little the front one did not move at all so i ordered new diaphrams i hope that fixes it plus when i was sucking on the vacuum hose i could hear the air flowing through the diaphrams like they were leaking anybody have any input it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

First thing I see wrong is you have the vacuum line connected to the distributor vacuum port on the center carb metering block instead of to the main body.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 62maxwgn] #1520697
10/20/13 09:16 PM
10/20/13 09:16 PM
Kentucky
71blackdemon Offline OP
enthusiast
71blackdemon  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

First thing I see wrong is you have the vacuum line connected to the distributor vacuum port on the center carb metering block instead of to the main body.

I appreciate that i guess the base plate will pull more vacuum thanks.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520698
10/20/13 09:55 PM
10/20/13 09:55 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It doesn't go to the base plate,there is another port behind and lower on the main body,the tube may be missing.

7894627-Picture506.jpg (50 downloads)
Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 62maxwgn] #1520699
10/20/13 10:00 PM
10/20/13 10:00 PM
Kentucky
71blackdemon Offline OP
enthusiast
71blackdemon  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It doesn't go to the base plate,there is another port behind and lower on the main body,the tube may be missing.

that looks like where i got it at thanks.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520700
10/21/13 11:00 AM
10/21/13 11:00 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
While you have the pods off, make sure that the kill bleeds from the pods into the carb throats are clear and that the cork seals are in good condition. I usually change the seals if they are very old at all.

Master, again and still
Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520701
10/21/13 01:00 PM
10/21/13 01:00 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm thinking no it isn't.... looks like it's not plugged onto the proper tube. The port on the metering block is for the vacuum advance hose and that appears (at least in the pic) to where you have the hose plugged onto. The proper port is on the main carb body about 3/4" behind and below that.
Pardon me if I'm wrong when looking at your picture, but if it is in the wrong spot, hooking it up correctly should be an eye-opener when you mash the peddle!!!!

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: superwrench] #1520702
10/21/13 01:46 PM
10/21/13 01:46 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm thinking no it isn't.... looks like it's not plugged onto the proper tube. The port on the metering block is for the vacuum advance hose and that appears (at least in the pic) to where you have the hose plugged onto. The proper port is on the main carb body about 3/4" behind and below that.
Pardon me if I'm wrong when looking at your picture, but if it is in the wrong spot, hooking it up correctly should be an eye-opener when you mash the peddle!!!!

Wrong port it would be !

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 62maxwgn] #1520703
10/21/13 02:42 PM
10/21/13 02:42 PM
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

Yep....now that I zoom in too, I think I see the end of the proper nipple just behind the choke diaphragm.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 62maxwgn] #1520704
10/21/13 08:57 PM
10/21/13 08:57 PM
Kentucky
71blackdemon Offline OP
enthusiast
71blackdemon  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong port it would be !

there is one right below that one and that is where they had it pluged into but it didn't have any vacuum that i could tell.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520705
10/21/13 09:33 PM
10/21/13 09:33 PM
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

No vacuum there until the center carb starts pulling CFM.....just put the hose on there...it's the proper one.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: superwrench] #1520706
10/21/13 09:58 PM
10/21/13 09:58 PM
Kentucky
71blackdemon Offline OP
enthusiast
71blackdemon  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kentucky
okay thanks i appreciate it.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520707
10/21/13 10:58 PM
10/21/13 10:58 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

okay thanks i appreciate it.

And once you do that and if you don't connect the vacuum advance,cap that port.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 62maxwgn] #1520708
10/24/13 07:38 PM
10/24/13 07:38 PM
Kentucky
71blackdemon Offline OP
enthusiast
71blackdemon  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kentucky
replaced the diaphrams and six pack still not working and i hooked the vacuum to the right one anybody have any other suggestions thanks.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: 71blackdemon] #1520709
10/24/13 08:49 PM
10/24/13 08:49 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

How do you know it's not opening? It won't open just by winging the throttle with car standing still.

R.

Re: outboard carbs on a sixpack setup are not opening up [Re: dogdays] #1520710
10/24/13 09:08 PM
10/24/13 09:08 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
He's right, the engine has to be under load for the secondaries to open.

Did you hold the stems up so that the edges of the diaphrams are as far out to the edge of the pods as possible when you screwed the covers down?

And which springs are in the pods? They could be so stiff as to completely keep the secondaries from opening, depending on your engine.

Are the little cork seals for the kill bleeds in good shape?

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck!

Master, again and still