montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
I have been trying to understand how to tune with different ignition coils and trying to understand what different turns ratio's do and lower and higher inductance, peak current, primary resistance and secondary resistance. I'm told that this all matters and some how I cant make sense of it all.
I'd rather have a coil that's going to get the most flame to the spark plug, and it doesn't have to be able to do it at extremely high rpm's because I run a 360 magnum and hardly ever go past 6000 rpm.
I am running a crane cams hi-6 cd ignition and a crane cams lx91 coil.
I wanted to share the specs of this coil with you guys to see if you could tell me if this coil is what I want, or if there is better performance to be had. the primary resistance is 0.420 ohms the secondary resistance is 3.5k ohms the turns ratio is 54:1 the inductance is 5.6mh the peak current is 100ma and the spark duration is 2,800us. I run my plugs at a .045 gap. Is this coil the right coil for what i'm doing? This engine is all street and more of a torque engine then a high rpm screamer. I'm just curious if playing around with different coils would yield any positive results, or if this coil is the right one for what I do with it.

Re: Tuning with different coils? [Re: pjc360] #1500325
09/12/13 12:23 AM
09/12/13 12:23 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
The main thing IMO is the ignition parts are matched up and can handle the RPM. Beyond that, there is not much benefit. I assume the Crane unit can handle 6000 RPM. What coil specs do they recommend? That's what I would run. Also ballast resistor if recommended.

Re: Tuning with different coils? [Re: pjc360] #1500326
09/12/13 12:31 AM
09/12/13 12:31 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
In the Jacobs ign bible they had a test where the best coil for your app (with your choice of ballast/ECU/available voltage etc) was the coil that would generate a spark from the secondary wire to ground the greatest distance as you moved the wire away from ground with a resistor connected in parallel between the wire end & ground. they also stated that too much spark energy can cavitate the mixture in the plug gap & blow the air/fuel molecules out of the gap & effect a misfire which I thought was interesting as I always thought that the more energy the better. It was an interesting read especially the new (for me) info that the best system for starting/cruising/wot have different requirements. I couldn't grasp all of it. but it had too much info devoted to points ign systems. Myself I would go with a no ballast E coil & tune the dist initial/total/springs/vac adv IN ORDER.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Tuning with different coils? [Re: pjc360] #1500327
09/12/13 12:32 AM
09/12/13 12:32 AM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline
master

Northern Indiana
There are a lot of factors that make a difference . I have some pretty good information on this that would take days to type.
Basically ,if you have an electronic ignition that does not have multiple spark capabilities,a longer spark duration USUALLY helps at lower rpm ranges. I'm sure your ignition is a CD type so it can get away with less due to the coil not having to take all the abuse they dear with otherwise .
I would recommend sticking with the coil matched to your system,any gains with a different coil will be minimal and certain coils don't work well with a CD system .
Keith