09/06/13 03:29 PM
09/06/13 03:29 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Is it just me and my bad luck.. or is there a serious problem in the auto/racing world with people being able to stick to a promise date?

A few years ago, I sent my small block heads off to a celebrity machine shop back east.. He promised to return them in about 6 weeks.. after several phone calls and emails.. I got them back in 10 weeks..

Next up was the B1 heads I sent off to another celebrity machine shop (Rest in peace).. This time, it took over 3 months to get the heads back, but they were absolutely awesome when they arrived.

I ordered a set of T&D rockers for the B1.. I think they promised a ship date of about 2 weeks.. That whole fiasco took 2 months to receive..

Now recently, I ordered a set of custom made Williams valve covers. On a Tuesday morning, I placed the order and was promised over the phone that I would receive them by the end of that same week. We are now 4 weeks later and I still have no valve covers..

I know if I was to miss due dates and promise to deliver dates by more than a couple of days, I'd be out of work, so I was wondering how these companies get away with it.. Are we more patient as consumers than in other industries.. or are we collectively more stupid? lol

Whats your experiences with waiting for parts that never arrived on time? (back orders not included)

Re: Why is it?? [Re: Jeepmon] #1497209
09/06/13 03:41 PM
09/06/13 03:41 PM
Livermore, CA
D
Dduster Offline
mopar
Dduster  Offline
mopar
D

Livermore, CA
Well,.. You just have to have patience and expect this kind of thing from history. Performance parts guys always give You dates they know You want to hear and they cannot hit. Fab and paint guys are worse for the most part. I've got a friend who waited 17 months for a high dollar paint job on his 7 sec Nova after He smacked the guardrail at B'Field. Grit Your teeth and hold on. Yes,.. it is easier to say than do.

Re: Why is it?? [Re: Jeepmon] #1497210
09/06/13 03:42 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Nature of this business...Been especially bad since the economic slow down, recession whatever you want to call it. But from my experience this is much the way it has always been.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Why is it?? [Re: Jeepmon] #1497211
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

I think in this world of more and more automation and general laziness, it is becoming harder and harder for good shop owners to find good people who want to turn out quality work. So the shop owners become famous and their work load increases exponentially, yet they can't find people to take up the slack.
The shopowners themselves are not great business people. They didn't become famous for producing a great product by being good at business, but rather good at building or machining or designing, etc.
They are also living in a "feast or famine" environment making it extremely difficult for them to turn away work. They are also hopeful, thinking they'll get it done. Then reality intrudes.......

In life there is the normal and the unique. We need to be able to recognize the difference. In the case of high performance engine shops, the normal seems to be delivery well past the estimated (even promised) delivery date. The unique situation is when it comes back in time.

This isn't going to be fun to read, but the customers need to start planning for much longer lead times, or find another less-famous shop. Yelling, flaming or repeated phone calls won't do anything but increase the load of shame the responsible shop owner carries around with him. It certainly won't free him up to work faster.

The short answer: deal with it.

R.

Re: Why is it?? [Re: dogdays] #1497212
09/06/13 03:50 PM
09/06/13 03:50 PM
Windsor ,Ca.
K
Keith Richards Offline
master
Keith Richards  Offline
master
K

Windsor ,Ca.
I had an aluminum block that was supposed to be delivered in 3 months, paid 100% up front and a year later still no block! I did get my money back, sure glad I was in know big hurry...........
That being said the other brand 572 motor will be going in the car after the ET finals.

Re: Why is it?? *DELETED* [Re: Jeepmon] #1497213
09/06/13 05:30 PM
09/06/13 05:30 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Post deleted by Performance Only

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Why is it?? [Re: Performance Only] #1497214
09/06/13 05:37 PM
09/06/13 05:37 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline OP
master
Jeepmon  Offline OP
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Quote:

Someone calls in sick, a machine breaks down, the power goes out.

Or your neighbor has a fire...

Seriously.. how is that any different from my type of work? I have employees that call in sick, drag butt, car breaks down.. I'm exposed to UPS dropping off the package to the wrong address, I have "emergencies" that pop up all the time.. yet I seem to get the job done a lot closer to the promise date than the racing industry does..

I'm not trying to be a troll here, everyone has set backs at work, everyone is understaff'd, everyone can cry baby tears why their industry is so much harder than the next.. But my point is this.. I can totally understand being backed up and missing a promise date by a couple days.. or a week even.. but that should be the exception and not the normal..

Re: Why is it?? [Re: Jeepmon] #1497215
09/06/13 05:58 PM
09/06/13 05:58 PM
Monroeville Ohio
T
Traven Offline
Traven  Offline
T

Monroeville Ohio
Or let's not forget priority customers, larger orders and as many people do, BTW since it's already here....... Or indecisive people

Re: Why is it?? [Re: Traven] #1497216
09/06/13 06:12 PM
09/06/13 06:12 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
There is no place like the internet to start letting the Racing World know who is not doing their work right or on time.In the last year I have got out of the Mill right business,when we promised a time to have a job done we got the job done.If for some reason we got behind and could not do it in 8-10 hour days we worked 16-20 hour days to get it done.
If I contract someone to do a job for me,I want not just on time but done right!If not you and I are going to have a Big Problem!And that Right There Is The Main Reason People Run Their Business The Way They Do Is Because They Think They Can Take Peoples Money And Then Treat Them Any Way They Like!If You Let People Treat You That Way,Its No One's Fault But Your Own! I'm not JOKING I'm 100% Serious,they are not going to do me that way!

PS Last year we had a engine built and got it in writing the due date and Horse-Power it would make.After 6 weeks when it was not ready I went to the DA,he had the Ass.DA give them a call and they said the engine would be ready in 2 weeks,after the 2 weeks when it was not ready I went back to the DA and he called them and to make up for taking twice as long they give us 40% of our money back.Then when the engine did not make the promised Horse-Power on the Dyno I called and let him talk to the Dyno operator and he put me back on the phone with them and they told me to bring it.I told him I was not bringing it back I was going back to the DA again.He then asked what it would take to make me Happy and I told him the only thing that would make me Happy is for him to pay the shop where the engine was at to make the promised Horse-Power,and he said put them back on the phone and I will take care of it.
Was not going to tell all of that but wanted everyone to know,there are lots of things you can do or have done to these DisHonest people.
And always turned these Business's into the Better Business Bureau,when you do it may help someone down the road in a Law Suit against this Business,or you may find out you are not the only one they have shafted and it easier for you take action against them!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 09/06/13 06:29 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Why is it?? [Re: Dduster] #1497217
09/06/13 09:29 PM
09/06/13 09:29 PM
where its cold and white durin...
2QUICK4U Offline
super stock
2QUICK4U  Offline
super stock

where its cold and white durin...
jeepmon, I hear ya. I had same issue with Williams .I ordered my custom oil pan and he promised to have it my door in a week.. then we went threw 10 to 15 pnone calls and 3 months later, I got my pan.. and it was sent dirty to me with metal chips and dust inside.

Re: Why is it?? [Re: 2QUICK4U] #1497218
09/07/13 10:29 AM
09/07/13 10:29 AM
San Diego, CA
B
brktracr Offline
super street
brktracr  Offline
super street
B

San Diego, CA
I have had a JW bell housing on order since June and I still don't have it. The date just keeps moving to the right.

1.298 60 ft 6.001 1/8 mile 114 mph 9.52 1/4 mile 140.87 mph @ 3110 lbs