Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
Adam71Charger  Offline OP
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
I might need to replace my alternator. I looked up my options at the local parts store. They have a 65 amp and a 78 amp alternator. My FSM says that the highest rated amp available in 1971 was 51amps. Will installing a higher amp rated alternator have any negative effects on my charging system?

Im pretty sure that an alternator will only produce the amps needed by the electrical accessories. Like if I have a 100amp alternator, it will not actually be putting out 100amps unless the electrical accessories are drawing that much.

But, Im not sure of the effect on my voltage regulator. If Im using the oem VR that was made to work with my 40-50amp oem alternator, will installing a 65 or 78amp alternator damage the VR? Do I need a different VR for the new alternator?

Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: Adam71Charger] #1496457
09/05/13 07:05 AM
09/05/13 07:05 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
shouldn't hurt the voltage regulator unless something happens and you put out 16 or more volts, in which case, who knows what may take damage.

you do need to be aware of the main alternator output wire, especially if you still have stock wiring that goes through the firewall, through the amp meter, back through the firewall and over to the battery. all 78 amps could pass through that tiny wire and if you have any bad connections, they will create heat, and they may catch fire.

If you upgrade the alternator output, then you also need to upgrade the charging wires that go between the alternator and battery. I highly suggest bypassing in-dash amp meter with new wires from alternator straight to battery, and using a voltmeter instead

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1496458
09/05/13 07:07 AM
09/05/13 07:07 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
you're right, in that the alternator only puts out what's needed, and most of the time, that's nowhere near alternator's maximum output.

...unless you are having issues and are cranking on the starter a lot before the engine starts running, or you left your lights on for awhile and the battery is low, in which case, the system WILL put out maximum amps until the battery is recharged/caught up. Wires need to be able to support the maximum that the alternator is capable of making

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1496459
09/05/13 10:24 AM
09/05/13 10:24 AM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

you're right, in that the alternator only puts out what's needed, and most of the time, that's nowhere near alternator's maximum output.

...unless you are having issues and are cranking on the starter a lot before the engine starts running, or you left your lights on for awhile and the battery is low, in which case, the system WILL put out maximum amps until the battery is recharged/caught up. Wires need to be able to support the maximum that the alternator is capable of making

This is partially true but there is a limiting factor here and that is the battery itself. Most car batteries will only charge so quickly...usually at 30 amps or so and will quickly drop current consumption once they begin to 'fill up'. Deep cycle batteries will accept more current (40 amps+) which can be problematic in the situation outlined above where you have an alternator with plenty of output and a depleted battery.

With a Chrysler style square-back alternator (even up to 100 amp), this isn't usually a big issue as they put out much less at idle so if you don't rev the motor for a while with a depleted battery, they still won't have enough output at idle to burn up the charging circuit. The problem is with the newer alternators that put out their rated amps (or close) at idle which, in conjunction with a depleted enough battery, could pose a hazard.

If this is the case and you want to be extra safe, I would run a 8ga or higher wire from the alternator directly to the starter relay post or positive battery terminal to siphon off the extra current in these situations and take some of the load off the factory harness/ammeter.

As for your original question, it may be possible for an alternator with an internal short to damage the VR but the fact that it is hi output vs. standard has nothing to do with it. All the VR has to go is 'read' the alternator voltage (blue wire usually) and by floating the ground (relative to the green wire), it will in effect meter the amount of current going through the field circuit which will control the alternator's output. There is no increase in current through the VR due to the fact an alternator may be hi-output.

Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: 70Cuda383] #1496460
09/05/13 02:06 PM
09/05/13 02:06 PM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
The original wires going to and from the ammeter were fried, and also my ignition run wire. I'm replacing them with 10ga and I've bypassed the bulkhead connector (because it melted where the ammeter wires passed though.) I'm running 10ga good oxygen free copper wire, from the starter relay all the way to the ammeter, then back from the ammeter all the way to the alternator. I think 10ga is only good for 30amps. Should I upgrade to 8ga?

I was thinking about bypassing the ammeter altogether but it seemed to be working fine so I didnt. Easy enough to bypass though. Btw, I will be changing the wiring harness when I do my engine swap. But for now I just need the charging system to operate safely so the car can be driven.

Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: Adam71Charger] #1496461
09/05/13 02:28 PM
09/05/13 02:28 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

An alternator is simply a 3-phase alternating current (AC) generator, same as the generator in a power station. The diodes rectify the 3-phase power into direct current (DC).

The regulator regulates the amount of voltage that the alternator makes by modulating the field current. Unless the new alternator has an unusually high requirement for the field current, it won't affect the voltage regulator.

R.

Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: Adam71Charger] #1496462
09/05/13 04:02 PM
09/05/13 04:02 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
be sure to slo charge the batt back up separately on a charger before you get it up & running. You want the ammeter needle pretty close to 12 o'clock as possible at all times & to avoid using the alt to charge it back up.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: Adam71Charger] #1496463
09/05/13 06:08 PM
09/05/13 06:08 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline
pro stock

North Carolina
Quote:

The original wires going to and from the ammeter were fried, and also my ignition run wire. I'm replacing them with 10ga and I've bypassed the bulkhead connector (because it melted where the ammeter wires passed though.) I'm running 10ga good oxygen free copper wire, from the starter relay all the way to the ammeter, then back from the ammeter all the way to the alternator. I think 10ga is only good for 30amps. Should I upgrade to 8ga?

I was thinking about bypassing the ammeter altogether but it seemed to be working fine so I didnt. Easy enough to bypass though. Btw, I will be changing the wiring harness when I do my engine swap. But for now I just need the charging system to operate safely so the car can be driven.

If you are going to just pass through firewall with the new wire (not using the bulkhead connectors), 10ga will be fine with a standard (Chrysler square-back type) alternator. Yes 10ga will max out at 30 amps continuous but you shouldn't see that much current for long periods unless you have a short somewhere. 10ga is better than the factory used which IIRC is 12ga?

Not a bad idea to use 8ga to have the extra insurance, but if you are going to be putting in a new engine/dash harness later on, might be wasting $$$ on the more expensive wire. You can always pull another wire directly between the alternator stud and starter relay later on...

Oh yeah, and make sure you do use a fusible link (16ga) on this circuit!! Place it inline between the ammeter and starter relay...usually near the relay so it's easily accessible. This is you insurance that if things do go south, your charging circuit won't burn down! (literally)

Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: cjskotni] #1496464
09/05/13 11:20 PM
09/05/13 11:20 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I have had a few with the ign 1 (run) wire fried because the alt rotor shorted to ground. The alt takes its run 12 volts to the field at the ballast as it splits off there to feed one side of the alt rotor. Had to replace the alt both times I had that problem. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 09/05/13 11:21 PM.
Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: 383man] #1496465
09/06/13 03:45 AM
09/06/13 03:45 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Quote:

because the alt rotor shorted to ground.

Does this type of short happen internally inside the alt case or externally?

Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: cjskotni] #1496466
09/06/13 04:34 AM
09/06/13 04:34 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Quote:

Oh yeah, and make sure you do use a fusible link (16ga) on this circuit!! Place it inline between the ammeter and starter relay...usually near the relay so it's easily accessible. This is you insurance that if things do go south, your charging circuit won't burn down! (literally)

Thanks for the reminder I completely forgot about the fusible link.

Re: Can a high amp alternator damage a voltage regulator? [Re: Adam71Charger] #1496467
09/06/13 02:30 PM
09/06/13 02:30 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

because the alt rotor shorted to ground.

Does this type of short happen internally inside the alt case or externally?

It can only be internaly if its the rotor shorted to ground. Externally would be the field wire. Once you unplug the field on the alt and the short goes away then you know its either the brush and holder or the rotor since both are part of the alt. Ron