Zebulon
S
Stationwagonguy Offline OP
A Closet Buick Man
Stationwagonguy  Offline OP
A Closet Buick Man
S

Zebulon
'70 Chrysler, 440 4bbl with '73 electronic ignition setup.

Last time I drove it a few weeks ago, it was running way rough and wouldn't stay running unless I had my foot in it. If I let it idle, it would stall out, but it seemed to run ok if it was revved up higher. Next day, couldn't get it to even start at all. Then it started to crank funny, like it would come to a near complete stop while the starter was turning. Then that went away the next day, then it came back. It cranks funny every other time I try to mess with it.

I can see fuel coming out and pooling on the intake, which it never did before, but it's not getting any spark. I've replaced the coil, ballast resistor, and electronic ignition module, with no result. Closest I've gotten was when I ran a wire from the positive battery post to the positive side of the coil, it finally started and ran rough for a few seconds, then died and wouldn't start again.

I'm really getting frustrated, what am I overlooking?

[image][/image] Bob SWG '68 Chrysler Town & Country, 'Katy Jo' '70 Chrysler 300 2-door '78 Impala 2-door
Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #149421
11/11/08 06:44 PM
11/11/08 06:44 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
For one thing it sounds like you have some extremely flooded plugs that will need replacing before it starts. And you had best change the oil and filter first too because it sounds like you have alot of fuel gotten into the oil. I would also squirt some oil into the spark plug holes before trying to start it again because of washed cylinders. It also sounds like a stuck needle and seat. the carb flooding over started while running the last time & the reason for the rough running.

Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: MoparforLife] #149422
11/11/08 06:54 PM
11/11/08 06:54 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Do you get power to the positive terminal of the coil when in the run mode and start mode? I agree with changing the plugs and oiling the cylinders. I also agree with the carb flooding and that should be cured first before trying to start the car after the plug replacemnet.

Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: stumpy] #149423
11/11/08 07:01 PM
11/11/08 07:01 PM
Zebulon
S
A Closet Buick Man
A Closet Buick Man
S

Zebulon
Quote:

Do you get power to the positive terminal of the coil when in the run mode and start mode? I agree with changing the plugs and oiling the cylinders. I also agree with the carb flooding and that should be cured first before trying to start the car after the plug replacemnet.

I'm not really sure, how should I check?

Also, I really don't know how to mess with carbs either. Not gonna lie.

[image][/image] Bob SWG '68 Chrysler Town & Country, 'Katy Jo' '70 Chrysler 300 2-door '78 Impala 2-door
Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #149424
11/11/08 08:15 PM
11/11/08 08:15 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Ground a test light and touch the pointed end to the positive terminal on the coil. With the key in the on position the light should light. then have someone crank the motor and the light should light then also. If it dosen't light then you have no power. The reason I say test light is because it's cheaper than a multimeter.

Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: stumpy] #149425
11/11/08 10:46 PM
11/11/08 10:46 PM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Suregrip Offline
mopar
Suregrip  Offline
mopar

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sounds like a stuck needle in the carb. Take the air cleaner off and grab an average sized screw-driver. Hold the srew-driver by the point and tap the top of the carb with the handle end of the screw-driver. The area to tap is the left and right side of the carb on the top. After taping the top of the carb stick a paper clip or something that won't fall inside the carb on the front of the carb to insure the choke flap stays open. Crank the engine when it starts keep the rpms up antil the car warms up. Remove the paper clip, replace the air-cleaner, add some carb cleaner to the gas tank and fill it up and then drive it!

Some people you just can't reach...
Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: Suregrip] #149426
11/12/08 06:22 AM
11/12/08 06:22 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
When starting a flooded engine always hold the gas pedal to the floor to unload the flooded condition.

Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #149427
11/12/08 09:51 AM
11/12/08 09:51 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
you may have a stretched-jumped timing chain...more than likely

Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: MoparforLife] #149428
11/12/08 04:29 PM
11/12/08 04:29 PM
Zebulon
S
A Closet Buick Man
A Closet Buick Man
S

Zebulon
Quote:

When starting a flooded engine always hold the gas pedal to the floor to unload the flooded condition.

Really?

And as for the timing chain... how would I determine that without taking the timing chain off?

My biggest concern thus far is that it isn't getting spark... at all. Which confuses me.

I'm gonna try to mess with the carb and the test light tomorrow when I get a chance.

Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #149429
11/12/08 04:54 PM
11/12/08 04:54 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

Really?

And as for the timing chain... how would I determine that without taking the timing chain off?

My biggest concern thus far is that it isn't getting spark... at all. Which confuses me.

I'm gonna try to mess with the carb and the test light tomorrow when I get a chance.

Yes, that is really how to start a flooded engine. Hold the pedal to the floor allowing more air in and no fuel vacume signal. DO not pump the pedal just push to the floor and hold it while spinning theengine over. I would definitly check the oil and check it for fuel dilution. Gas in oil makes for poor lubrication. I would also put in a new set of plugs. Gas fouling is not easy to clean off. Better off with a new set. Make sure that teh carb isn't flooding over while you are cranking the engine over making things worse than they already are. I really don't suspect the timing chain but anything is possible. Make sure that the choke is completely open when starting a flooded engine..

Clean it, if it's Dirty. Oil it, if it Squeaks. But: Don't fix it, if it Works!
Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #149430
11/12/08 05:11 PM
11/12/08 05:11 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

you might take the negative primary wire off the coil & ground it(the wire) to metal & pull it away & see if you have spark from the dist end of the dist to coil secondary wire held 1/4' from a good ground (w key on & eng off) if no spark the ECU would be my 1st choice. also check & see if the coil positive primary terminal is getting fire when the key is "on" and also when "on & cranking". EDIT I reread your post(I should do that more often) & saw that you have replaced ecu, coil and ballast. as suggested pull the plugs & check them. good luck

Last edited by RapidRobert; 11/12/08 06:18 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: My Chrysler won't start- help? [Re: Stationwagonguy] #149431
11/12/08 05:19 PM
11/12/08 05:19 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Scott Carl Offline
pro stock
Scott Carl  Offline
pro stock

Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:

Turn the engine by hand until the timing mark is lined up with 12° BTDC mark (Or what ever you timming should be). Remove distributor cap and see if rotor is pointing to #1. If its pointing to #6, turn the engine one more revolution. If its pointing to any other plug, the chain has jumped. Also, with the dist cap off, turn the engine by hand back and forth. The rotor should turn as soon as you start to turn the engine. If there is a delay when you change directions, there is slop in your chain even if its pointing to the right plug location.

Last edited by Scott Carl; 11/12/08 05:35 PM.