09/04/13 02:57 PM
09/04/13 02:57 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
MrAngry Offline
super stock
MrAngry  Offline
super stock

San Francisco Bay Area
The problem with Dodge is that they've always been slow to get in the game. Take the new Viper for instance. A good car - yes, but a new base model C7 Vette with the Z51 package puts up similar numbers for 60K less...

And you're absolutely right - the SRT Cuda' or whatever they'll call it, will most likely be more expensive then the Mustang and Camaro. I just hope they get it right. It's unfortunate, and I love the brand, but Chrysler simply doesn't have the same resources as GM or Ford.

Last edited by MrAngry; 09/04/13 03:19 PM.

Never trust a pretty girl... or a lonely midget.
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: MrAngry] #1494167
09/04/13 05:04 PM
09/04/13 05:04 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
I hope they never make a new `Cuda because even if they do put in an all aluminum Gen 3 motor, it will still be a big fat pig.

I totally understand the benefits of having a newer car but here are some reasons why I am doing just the opposite and building up my 73 `Cuda. Keep in mind I also have a 2008 Honda S2000 CR which is a highly capable at the track and auto-x. I actually stopped tracking/modifying my S2000 and just use it to take girls out on dates since chicks can't live without A/C

1)I like working on older cars better because they have plenty of room to work on and are easy maintain.

2)My `Cuda is already gutted and is easier to install a roll cage for saftey.

3)I don't have to smog my `Cuda so I can modify everything as I like it. Very important in California

4)It doesn't have any electronic driving aides so I can actually learn how to drive the car and improve my driving skill.

I don't have to be the fastest or best at anything,
just happy with what I have and making the most of it

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: RylisPro] #1494168
09/04/13 06:00 PM
09/04/13 06:00 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
My track pack mustang is white. I would like to thank those that don't approve of the mustang for restraining them selves and everybody else for a enlightening discussion. My problem is I like too many things. I like cars that handle and I like to drag race. Throw in a job that keeps me from home weeks at a time and it leaves you no option but to buy some of your toys. Some auto crossing is on my bucket list so the mustang was a no brainer for me. If you are thinking about going that way, go test drive one and form your own opinion.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: dannysbee] #1494169
09/04/13 07:15 PM
09/04/13 07:15 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline OP
master
PHJ426  Offline OP
master
P

Fly Over States
Quote:

My track pack mustang is white. I would like to thank those that don't approve of the mustang for restraining them selves and everybody else for a enlightening discussion. My problem is I like too many things. I like cars that handle and I like to drag race. Throw in a job that keeps me from home weeks at a time and it leaves you no option but to buy some of your toys. Some auto crossing is on my bucket list so the mustang was a no brainer for me. If you are thinking about going that way, go test drive one and form your own opinion.

Did someone say test drive? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mHPo2yDG8

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: RylisPro] #1494170
09/04/13 07:53 PM
09/04/13 07:53 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

I don't have to be the fastest or best at anything,
just happy with what I have and making the most of it

Then you are wise beyond your years.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: jcc] #1494171
09/04/13 10:41 PM
09/04/13 10:41 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline OP
master
PHJ426  Offline OP
master
P

Fly Over States
I still enjoy working on my old cars, all of them Mopars and when the Runner has flown the nest..... that does not mean my nest is empty, just the arrangement of the eggs will include old and new American Muscle cars.

This little math exercise has nothing to do with being the fastest...

I'm plenty old enough to know cubic dollars wins along with sound engineering principles.

With regard to the 72 RR it has to do with retaining its pedigree since that is the rarest of the Road Runners with things that mean a lot to the paint dabbers in the Mopar community along with being a factory air grabber car...which is a fairly heavy hood had me thinking of removing it in favor of a fiberglass AAR replica unit. I could see the cost of doing this could easily get over the amount of money I was willing to spend over what I already have invested in this car.

That being said I am just deciding to go fast around corners in a newer muscle car.

For those that think they truly built their car let's remember these were all production cars and at some point someone bought these cars new off the showroom floor. Very few people truly built their own car from the ground up, they started with a car that left a factory assembly line at some point in time.

Don't be surprised to see me turning corners in my other Mopar in the future.....

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: PHJ426] #1494172
09/04/13 11:43 PM
09/04/13 11:43 PM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
I've thought about this lately as the "Ricer Cuda" gets closer to completion. For all the coin I've dropped into this car and the time welding, grinding, scraping and general wrenching it would have been far easier to have plunked down some cash and had a Mustang that would be far more refined and a factory warranty to boot. However I'm a hands on guy and when the "Ricer Cuda" hits the road there aren't going to be dozens of them on every road. Any quarks and shortcoming will be up to me to deal with or accept and no smog checks either. It would be great if Chrysler/Fiat/Cerberus... whatever would build a sporty 2 door that wasn't B body size and weight, I don't see that coming anytime soon, and the new Dart is more along the lines of what I would be in the market for anyhow.

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: brads70] #1494173
09/04/13 11:44 PM
09/04/13 11:44 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Around here Mustangs quite often have a Domino's Pizza signs on them. Anyone can own one, not everyone can own a classic Mopar, and even fewer that handle decent.
My car will never handle like a new Vette or Viper but for me the fun is trying and working with what you have. Nothing makes me grin more than coming up behind a BMW, Vette etc on a hwy on ramp or cloverleaf and filling his rear view mirror with a Dodge grill. Then having him accelerate and keep checking his mirror every 2 seconds and can't believe I'm still there!

Well said. As the saying goes, pick your poison.

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: MuuMuu101] #1494174
09/05/13 03:29 PM
09/05/13 03:29 PM
NW/Indiana - Chi town
ricomondo Offline
top fuel
ricomondo  Offline
top fuel

NW/Indiana - Chi town
This question still tears at me as I ponder my next Mopar project.

I've been lucky to own 4 Trans Am cars (2 T/A & 2 AAR) and granted they were race versions built for the street, it's still 40+ year old technology. It'd cost you a bit as mentioned in other posts to upgrade suspension, steering, etc.
Now that being said, I just sold a 2010 Challenger Mopar 10' edition last year and man, that car was fun fun fun!!
Newer car, a/c, and had the track stuff built in from Ma Mopar, front/rear strut tower braces, cold air intake etc.
I took it up to Road America last year for Vintage weekend and got to take it on the track while my friend snapped pix and took video. WHAT A BLAST!!! Handled like a dream and stuck to the track like glue!

Now I know you asked specifically about the Mustang, and if you can find the model you want, I'd say go for it and experience the difference.
Those Boss 302, Leguna Seca, and especially the Shelby GT500's are just beasts. If you've owned mostly old cars, try the new Stang, Challenger, etc and I think you'll see you can have it both; a fast car and the creature comforts that come with it. My M10 had an added nav system, and on a 90+ degree day, I had no problem going for afternoon cruise.
you get in a 70 something car, and you aren't gonna want to leave the driveway with no A/C.
Its a tough choice, but I'm sure you'll make the right one.

GY3 71 Demon 340
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: ricomondo] #1494175
09/05/13 03:53 PM
09/05/13 03:53 PM
Odessa, Fl
B
blowndart Offline
super stock
blowndart  Offline
super stock
B

Odessa, Fl
If you can afford it, have both. The modern cars are really pretty good now. I have a pro street Hemi demon with EFI and gear vendors overdrive, Alterkation frame with power rack steering and it's quite nice compared to most of the old Mopars I've had. But, I get as much enjoyment or more from my 2012 GT500. If most had driven the modern mustangs, Challenger or Camaro, you'd have to agree they are light years better in most categories then the cars from the 70's. The older cars only seem to have the edge in the "cool" factor. A more rare modern care like a GT500, Boss, SRT-8 or ZL-1 come close in the "cool" factor. While my GT500 does attract more attention than a standard 5.0 would, it's nowhere near the attention the Demon gets. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be extremely hard, but I'd ditch the Demon before the GT500.

7840718-Demon1.jpg (167 downloads)
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: MrAngry] #1494176
09/05/13 06:10 PM
09/05/13 06:10 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Honestly, lap times are somewhat inconsequential here, but here's my take on the subject. Our old cars are wonderful machines. They have styling that can't be matched, can be made to perform wonderfully with enough time, talent and money, and at days end will always make you feel good. However, think about what goes into making that happen. Think about the countless hours of trouble-shooting problems and chasing ghosts like squeaks, rattles, vibrations and electrical issues. People get frustrated, lose and then regain interest, but ultimately, everybody is still ALWAYS, in some way wrenching on their cars.

Now please don't misunderstand me, this is NOT a bad thing as it's part of the hobby, and God knows I've been down and continue to go down that road on a daily basis with my cars because I love them. HOWEVER, and this is dependent on your individual needs, you have to decide on WHAT you want to do with your car, and WHY you want to do it.

I'm very fortunate as my job allows me to get behind the wheel of some the best cars out there, both new and old ranging from Bugatti Veyron's to the wickedest pro-touring cars on the planet. This has taught me a couple of things:

1. You can have the best suspension, engine, and build that money can buy. But if YOU can't drive it, you're ass out. That means SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME and MORE SEAT TIME. There are guys on this forum like Dan, Marty, Steve and Tony to name a few, that could probably kill 85% of track day guys whilst driving a V6 Honda Accord.

2. MONEY: I've got a TON of cash wrapped up in both my cars (Charger/Daytona). Yet I went out and purchased a new Mustang for just over $30k and it will kill them both. Tack on some real suspension, wheels and tires and now, for under $40K I've got a car that will run with the best of the best, regardless of the manufacturers. I've got 13 track days on that car since May with the only maintenance being fluid, tire and brake pad changes. That's it - not one single issue, not a single worry.

3. Piece of mind. I don't worry about my Mustang. I bought it as a track rat / semi-daily driver. Now, if I crash it at the track will that suck? Yep... but not as bad as stuffing the Charger or Daytona into the wall.

Also keep in mind that before I purchased that car I contemplated taking that money and putting it into the Charger. 6.4 HEMI, new tranny, suspension, etc... etc. At days end though, I'd still have a beautiful looking car that was 18-feet long, weighed almost 4,000 lbs and still DIDN'T handle like a slot car. Plus, I'd be chasing gremlins and trouble shooting. I'm too old for that. Now, I just want to have fun.

Charger / Daytona = Hot Rods and will keep forever
Mustang = Track Car / semi-disposable

Different cars for different needs.

Hope this helps.

Hard to put it better than that. When I'm driving any of our old stuff, I'm constantly over analyzing the car, listening to it, and my mind is going into overdrive "engineering" the car in my head. When I'm in a Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, New Mustang, New Camaro, etc, I can relax and go FAST!
Mike also hit the nail on the head for new American made affordable track car. I've driven all three and Mustang 5.0 all the way. Hotchkis Track pack, pads and rubber and you'll have a blast.
That said, I'd LOVE for Mopar to make the ACR Challenger they've been parading at all the shows for the last 2 years.

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: blowndart] #1494177
09/05/13 06:19 PM
09/05/13 06:19 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Quote:

If you can afford it, have both. The modern cars are really pretty good now. I have a pro street Hemi demon with EFI and gear vendors overdrive, Alterkation frame with power rack steering and it's quite nice compared to most of the old Mopars I've had. But, I get as much enjoyment or more from my 2012 GT500. If most had driven the modern mustangs, Challenger or Camaro, you'd have to agree they are light years better in most categories then the cars from the 70's. The older cars only seem to have the edge in the "cool" factor. A more rare modern care like a GT500, Boss, SRT-8 or ZL-1 come close in the "cool" factor. While my GT500 does attract more attention than a standard 5.0 would, it's nowhere near the attention the Demon gets. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be extremely hard, but I'd ditch the Demon before the GT500.

Glad you're really happy with your Shelby, although your Demon is incredible too! I've posted in the general section about it before, but I have several weeks of seat time in a couple different 2013 GT500's. They are just awesome cars, get a ton of attention, and in a lot of ways remind me of the previous musclecars I've had. Notchy shifter, explosive power, great exhaust note.... combined with all of the modern amenities like a/c, nav, steering wheel radio controls, auto dimming headlights, airbags, abs, etc.

I'm semi-seriously looking for an 11/12 GT500 after the time spent in those 13's. I have months of time in the 07 cars and didn't care for them that much, but the 11-up Mustangs are excellent. The Boss is more of a racer and more fun to drive, but they don't have enough low end grunt for my taste.

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: Blusmbl] #1494178
09/05/13 07:13 PM
09/05/13 07:13 PM
Odessa, Fl
B
blowndart Offline
super stock
blowndart  Offline
super stock
B

Odessa, Fl
Quote:

Quote:

Glad you're really happy with your Shelby, although your Demon is incredible too! I've posted in the general section about it before, but I have several weeks of seat time in a couple different 2013 GT500's. They are just awesome cars, get a ton of attention, and in a lot of ways remind me of the previous musclecars I've had. Notchy shifter, explosive power, great exhaust note.... combined with all of the modern amenities like a/c, nav, steering wheel radio controls, auto dimming headlights, airbags, abs, etc.

I'm semi-seriously looking for an 11/12 GT500 after the time spent in those 13's. I have months of time in the 07 cars and didn't care for them that much, but the 11-up Mustangs are excellent. The Boss is more of a racer and more fun to drive, but they don't have enough low end grunt for my taste.

If you can make it happen, the 11/12 Shelby's are very fun cars to have. A couple of bolt-ons away from 700 HP stock.

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: Blusmbl] #1494179
09/05/13 07:27 PM
09/05/13 07:27 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline OP
master
PHJ426  Offline OP
master
P

Fly Over States
Quote:

Quote:

Well after driving stroker big block Mopars nothing can compare with low end grunt. I will definitely agree on that point.

There is only one answer have one of each.......I just don't need two or more of the older Mopars currently.

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: PHJ426] #1494180
09/05/13 11:40 PM
09/05/13 11:40 PM
Chicago Burbs
sthemi Offline
master
sthemi  Offline
master

Chicago Burbs
The real answer for me would be...

Mustangs are tiny... small no room inside..I dont think our puppy would be confortable in the reat seat...,and I cant even squeeze my legs in the front seat...
Was that a better idea?

Buy a real car... Challenger SRT 392...

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: sthemi] #1494181
09/06/13 09:12 AM
09/06/13 09:12 AM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Quote:

Mustangs are tiny... small no room inside..I dont think our puppy would be confortable in the reat seat...,and I cant even squeeze my legs in the front seat...
Was that a better idea?

Strange your legs don't fit in the Mustang because it has more than the Challenger :
Front Leg Room: Challenger 42 in. Mustang 42.7 in.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: 67autocross] #1494182
09/06/13 09:36 AM
09/06/13 09:36 AM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
Some of you guys may need to see Jenny Craig as I am a full grown man at 225 lbs and over 6' tall. I fit in a Mustang with room to spare. My wife is 5'9" tall and she fits in the back seat fine if the front seat is scooted forward a couple of inches. Granted she wouldn't want to make a cross country trip back there, across town isn't a problem. They are sized about the same as all pony cars have always been. They just do everything a little better than they used to.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: 67autocross] #1494183
09/06/13 09:57 AM
09/06/13 09:57 AM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Quote:

Was that a better idea?

Strange your legs don't fit in the Mustang because it has more than the Challenger :

lmao.. wonder how he will spin it now..

Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: cogen80] #1494184
09/06/13 11:14 AM
09/06/13 11:14 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Was that a better idea?

lmao.. wonder how he will spin it now..

That spin comment might be a little unfair, people's legs / body shapes are not defined by a single measurement. If he says it doesn't fit him, it doesn't fit him. Of course you could have actually have asked him to be clrear has he sat in both recently, wearing similar clothes, I guess,

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Boss 302 Mustang or old Mopar [Re: 67autocross] #1494185
09/06/13 11:57 AM
09/06/13 11:57 AM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Quote:

Quote:

Was that a better idea?

What is the distance between the floor and under the dash edge on each vehicle?

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27