08/06/13 02:41 AM
08/06/13 02:41 AM
pa
C
clonewars Offline OP
clonewars  Offline OP
C

pa
This is my first moparts restore I put a new complete floor in my challenger from front to back I want to convert the auto to stick. I'm guessing I will need the tunnel hump to weld in but what about the console can you make the automatic work with the 4spd and dies anyone sell a short throw shifter design thanks all

Re: auto-4spd swap challenger [Re: clonewars] #1480460
08/06/13 12:05 PM
08/06/13 12:05 PM
Oklahoma
V
VoodooCLD Offline
mopar
VoodooCLD  Offline
mopar
V

Oklahoma
Quote:

This is my first moparts restore I put a new complete floor in my challenger from front to back I want to convert the auto to stick. I'm guessing I will need the tunnel hump to weld in but what about the console can you make the automatic work with the 4spd and dies anyone sell a short throw shifter design thanks all

The console's are the same, except i believe there is a cutout on the side to clear the rubber boot. You will need a difference top plate as the cutouts are different for that as well.

The tabs that mount to the transmission and the shifter linkages on my transmission have 2 different mounting spots. I guess the ones closer to the shifter forks are "shorter"

Re: auto-4spd swap challenger [Re: VoodooCLD] #1480461
08/06/13 12:54 PM
08/06/13 12:54 PM
NORTHERN VA
T
THESHAKERPROJECT Offline
super stock
THESHAKERPROJECT  Offline
super stock
T

NORTHERN VA
You will need to weld the bracket on the driver side framerail for the bellcrank. I got a template for the console cutout and you need to weld on a new mount for the front of the console, the rear mount is the same as auto. Brewers sells a NEW Hurst shifter that works perfect. They sell a great petal kit as well. The driveshaft is the same for auto or 4 spd and so is the tranny mount .

Re: auto-4spd swap challenger [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #1480462
08/06/13 01:03 PM
08/06/13 01:03 PM
Oklahoma
V
VoodooCLD Offline
mopar
VoodooCLD  Offline
mopar
V

Oklahoma
Quote:

You will need to weld the bracket on the driver side framerail for the bellcrank. I got a template for the console cutout and you need to weld on a new mount for the front of the console, the rear mount is the same as auto. Brewers sells a NEW Hurst shifter that works perfect. They sell a great petal kit as well. The driveshaft is the same for auto or 4 spd and so is the tranny mount .

Ya, i'm currently going through a 4 speed swap now. Well, i'm doing it while rebuilding the rest of the car, but it isn't cheap at all.

You need:
Transmission
Shifter
Shifter handle (pistol grip!)
Shift linkages
Bell housing
Clutch fork
Clutch (pressure plate, throwout bearing, disk)
Flywheel
Four speed tunnel hump
Rod between pedals and zbar
Z bar
Z bar pivot bracket for framerail
4 speed pedals, and bracket for the pedals.
New carpet for 4 speed tunnel hump
A host of small kits for the clutch linkage (buy complete units from brewers)

You also need to make sure you have a pilot hole drilled and reamed in your crankshaft.
NO cast crank has this. Some steel cranks are drilled, but not reamed.
You could always cut off the end of the input shaft and run a bearing/bushing in the register of the crank.

Good luck!

Last edited by VoodooCLD; 08/06/13 01:07 PM.
Re: auto-4spd swap challenger [Re: VoodooCLD] #1480463
08/06/13 09:50 PM
08/06/13 09:50 PM
pa
C
clonewars Offline OP
clonewars  Offline OP
C

pa
Thanks guys looks like I got some work ahead of me but if u wanna play u got to pay thanks again

8 wheels corner better then 4.....dont matter if its a inch or a mile im white knuckle tight baby