08/04/13 05:31 PM
08/04/13 05:31 PM
California
M
Magnumdust Offline OP
Magnumdust  Offline OP
M

California
This is kind of a broad spectrum thread with regard to road racing. I'm building a pro touring 73' duster and i'm at the point of needing to figure out my suspension/transmission.

1. Where do people stand on the modified torsion bar setups vs. the coilover setups(either alterkation or HDK)

2. If the coilover is the way to go. What's a good "temporary" way to make my car handle better on the torsion bars without breaking the bank?(if i go coilover, i want to still do some autox while i save)

3. My car is currently an automatic 904, but its worn out and need to be replaced. But i'm not sure if i should stay auto(either 904 w/ GV or a 200r4 conversion) or if i should spring for a stick shift? Has anyone tried the RS/SS trans from keisler on an A-body? The pictures look like it could fit with nothing more than a shift hole.

The car has a freshly rebuilt suspension using oem rubber parts and has a small factory sway bar. It just handles poorly, my DD truck(lowered on QA1 coilovers) feels like a corner carver in comparison even though its got some body roll issues.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Magnumdust] #1479543
08/04/13 05:41 PM
08/04/13 05:41 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
a 73 foot long car will never do good in a road race

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: amxautox] #1479544
08/04/13 07:16 PM
08/04/13 07:16 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Maybe that's the circumference and it WOULD be hard to pass.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Magnumdust] #1479545
08/04/13 07:20 PM
08/04/13 07:20 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Andy, you are starting a long journey, a lot of your questions have been addressed here in numerous other threads, you likely will get a more thorough response if you base your questions after reading up on some of those threads. There is a lot of knowledge here, just re inventing the wheel can get tiring, and i only speak for myself, so take this with the usual large grain of salt.

Last edited by jcc; 08/04/13 07:21 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: jcc] #1479546
08/04/13 10:19 PM
08/04/13 10:19 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Here is MuMu's thread on trying to figure out A body suspension upgrades in $ order.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=7454875&page=0

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: amxautox] #1479547
08/09/13 05:59 AM
08/09/13 05:59 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

a 73 foot long car will never do good in a road race

That cracked me up.

Some guys really dig the coil over replacement front suspensions. I see them as a really expensive way to reinvent the wheel that rolled just fine.
Some proponents claim that the $4500 AlterKtion gives them great header clearance, then they install the very same TTI headers that fit a stock car with a k member.
You can spend less than $2000 and have a very capable front and rear suspension with OEM 100,000 mile durability.

Regarding the transmission, a 904 is fine if rebuilt properly and if used with less than 350 HP. I'd prefer a 999 though. They look the same externally, but have a lower 1st and 2nd gear for better acceleration out of the gate. From my understanding, ALL 904s built after 1980 were actually the 999 low gear transmissions, so if you are looking for a replacement trans, search for newer cars, trucks or vans.

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Kern Dog] #1479548
08/09/13 09:46 AM
08/09/13 09:46 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Andy,
One typo and you're already getting ribbed. haha.

Franken and JCC make good suggestions. Do a search within this forum for torsion bars, sway bars and oversteer and I think you'll get some good background.

For competition purposes the only time one 'has to' go to coil over is when the cost of staying with torsion bar suspension becomes prohibitive. For example the need for a big bar that is not easily available and/or a lot of custom or development time. For SCCA autocross, coilover would only be alowed in Prepared (CP) or Modified classes (but I don't think Street Modified which is based on 'Street Prepared' rules).

For autocross, swapping to manual transmission is no advantage. For continuous high speed driving aka 'track days', time trials, a manual transmission will have less power loss.
All you need to do for autocross is:
- make sure suspension has no play
- brakes are adjusted properly
- a somewhat aggressive alignment helps (a little neg on camber, positive on caster)
- a front sway bar is big help, poly endlinks or bushings help too. but not neccessary*
tires that you don't feel bad about abusing

If you're looking at track time, if your in the LA area, show up at one of Tim Herron's AllTimeRacing track days and see what's involved and what people are doing.

* edit: Seeing you have a factory bar, the cheap quick step is the poly bushings and endlinks. Use super thick aftermarket washers and tube with the poly end link bushings or they will punch through.
Alighnment, tires are the first places to start making improvements. Reading between the lines it seems you don't like the body roll. Tolerance of roll varies heavily from driver to driver, but a bigger front sway bar is the place to start, and then some stiffer torsion bars. If you can afford the ground clearance, lower the front 'ride height' and move the front leaf spring eye up using an AR hanger.

Last edited by Mattax; 08/09/13 09:58 AM.
Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Magnumdust] #1479549
08/09/13 01:06 PM
08/09/13 01:06 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Not sure anyone has shown up at an open track day with a coil over conversion Mopar and beat up on the torsion bar cars. Maybe it could happen, maybe not.

If you look around a little bit you'll see that the torsion bar cars can be built to run really hard. Of course, when they are set up that way they ride like dump trucks but you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: AndyF] #1479550
08/09/13 03:39 PM
08/09/13 03:39 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
John Sandberg's SCCA C/Prepared Solo/autocross race AAR Cuda swapped his front end over from his 1.24 TBs and factory k-frame to coil-over front suspension for a couple reasons:

1. Reduced overall weight on the front end (included rack-pionion steering setup and customer k-frame)

2. Stiffer front suspension than his 1.24 TBs for competition

He's driven the car on a couple road course lapping session events and the car handles is awesome (even as its setup for medium speed Solo.autocross).

Always have to remember.. its not just the TBs/stiffness.. its an overall "package" -- front, rear, etc.

Even with 1.24 TBs (speaking from my E-body experience), the ride is not bad at all for the street/hwy... and great for a "component" towards improved "competition" autocross and/or road course events (just part of the "package").

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1479551
08/09/13 06:34 PM
08/09/13 06:34 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Right. But as Ryan explained, going larger than 1.24" t-bars was not on the table for them at that time. We know its been done ('70 transam e-bodies) and its in the Oval Track book for banked circle tracks. If you can get the parts, or have them made, its still doable (withtime and money). But anyway that's way off track (so to speak) for this guy. He wasn't asking about building a competition car, just a pro-touring look and maybe some occassional autocross. For that, there's no performance or economics advantage to go to coil over.

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Mattax] #1479552
08/10/13 12:51 PM
08/10/13 12:51 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
"....there's no performance or economics advantage to go to coil over."... for the OP.

Agreed.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1479553
08/11/13 10:18 PM
08/11/13 10:18 PM
ohio
CumminsExpress Offline
mopar
CumminsExpress  Offline
mopar

ohio
not trying to steel this thread but on the F bodies would it be worth going with the rms altraKtion frame over the sideways torsion bars?

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Magnumdust] #1479554
08/12/13 11:55 AM
08/12/13 11:55 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

1. Where do people stand on the modified torsion bar setups vs. the coilover setups(either alterkation or HDK)

2. If the coilover is the way to go. What's a good "temporary" way to make my car handle better on the torsion bars without breaking the bank?(if i go coilover, i want to still do some autox while i save)

3. My car is currently an automatic 904, but its worn out and need to be replaced. But i'm not sure if i should stay auto(either 904 w/ GV or a 200r4 conversion) or if i should spring for a stick shift? Has anyone tried the RS/SS trans from keisler on an A-body? The pictures look like it could fit with nothing more than a shift hole.

1) if you are in a competition environment where you need to have a range of adjustability and the capability of quickly changing spring rates to meet track conditions and need to reduce weight of the overall system, then the coil over is the way to go. If you are looking for a set it and forget it system, coil overs are an expensive answer to that question, although many seem to like the recommended spring rates that come from the providers of these systems.

2) what is a cost effective, reasonable solution? I believe you can find the Hotchkis TVS systems for around $2500. Firm Feel also offers suspension packages out of their catalog that can save you from $50-300 over buying parts individually. If autocross is a desired activity, what is the rule base you will need to met? SCCA style races tend to be very rule restrictive whereas Goodguys events tend to be wide open. There may be other grassroots organizations doing some activities like this that have alternative rules features as well.

3) I tend to prefer manual tranmissions in my race cars, but there have been some huge advances made in performance automatics over the last decade. Again, rules, service intervals, and personal preference for the intended application may come to bear on the choice.

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: CumminsExpress] #1479555
08/12/13 12:06 PM
08/12/13 12:06 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

not trying to steel this thread but on the F bodies would it be worth going with the rms altraKtion frame over the sideways torsion bars?

As above, what's the intended application and rule set you're governed by? If it is simply a street cruiser, the Alterkation does provide a huge reduction in weight and improvement in geometry for F bodies over the stock layout. But those improvements come with a large price tag. I think the last time I priced out an AlterK for my Aspen it was over $4500. Firm Feel does produce higher rate bars, albeit at $650, but with those and a modification of adding some strut rods, you can improve the motion and stability of the bent bar set up over stock. Add in an iso-delete kit and some solid bushings and you can transform the blubbery feel of a stock F body into a more precise instrument.

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: CumminsExpress] #1479556
08/12/13 04:11 PM
08/12/13 04:11 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

There was a member here that did this. He has been banned from the site for an unknown reason, but he put up some pictures showing the serious deficiencies to the FMJ style "bent-bar" suspensions. On those cars, the weight of the suspension, brakes, steering and "k" member is so far forward, a switch to an AlterKtion is a vast improvement. In this case, it isn't just the same old.."MORE header clearance" issue since the bent bar cars had decent clearance anyway. THOSE cars suffered from poor weight distribution and were known to develop stress cracks in the frame and cowl due to the poor design.
In short, YES the car could benefit from a good replacement design. Problem is, there are some crappy ones out there and you need to inform yourself to make a smart decision. remember though, these things are pretty spendy. An AlterKtion put into a worn out $1500 aspen is like putting a $100 saddle on a $50 horse!
It makes sense if the whole car is being gone through... Its your car though.

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: Kern Dog] #1479557
08/12/13 07:17 PM
08/12/13 07:17 PM
ohio
CumminsExpress Offline
mopar
CumminsExpress  Offline
mopar

ohio
thanks for the input

the complete car is being redone

I have found a used AlterK system at a very reduced price and know the guys that is selling because he is going

thanks again for all your inputs

George

Re: I need to pick some brains [Re: CumminsExpress] #1479558
08/13/13 10:50 AM
08/13/13 10:50 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
As far as I've seen AlterK is the only aftermarket company making tubular K frames for the FJM bodies. Additionally, it must be a specific FJM AlterK frame as you cannot adapt an A or B body unit to these very easily. All the primary mounting dimensions are different. The FJM cars are a bit of an anomaly as they are as wide as a B body, as heavy as a B body, but come in a wide variety of lengths despite being touted as a replacement for A bodies.