07/30/13 05:20 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Let me ask. If vapor lock was causing my idling problem wouldn't it also make the car hard starting when hot? When my car does stall after its been running awhile it has always started right back up.

It's not really vapor lock, it's possibly the gas been boiled off as it enters the hot carb , but with a thermoquad one would think that was not an issue.

The fact that it fires right back up points to something else ... i went back and reread the original part and I missed that part

Do you have a points distributor you can swap in to test out the theory above ?

Re: Suddenly my 340 doesn't want to idle hot? [Re: JohnRR] #1471869
07/30/13 06:05 PM
07/30/13 06:05 PM
Nebraska
D
Dodge-N-Shelby Offline
enthusiast
Dodge-N-Shelby  Offline
enthusiast
D

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

In the last 2 weeks I have been fighting a similar problem with the 383 in my 65 Newport. Runs great for 20-25 minutes until it warms up good and then dies when I pull up to a light, slow down to turn, etc. I replaced my 1405 Eddy with a NIB 1405 after fooling with the 1st one, I pulled the intake and blocked the heat ports since I don't need them (trying cool the bottom of carb). A friend suggested that I may have a problem with the electronic ignition swap that I did recently so I tried a new distributor. I ended up dropping my original points distributor in and it runs great. I am guessing that I have either a loose wire or bad box but now that its running good, I will mess with it during winter storage. Just saying that you are not alone and goofy things happen. btw, I am running E-10 with a stock fuel pump and my first thought was that it was vapor locking.

Interesting that this fixed itself with a distributor change. how old is that distributor ? IS it an OLD Chrysler unit or the new mallory unit ?

I had upgraded with a new Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion last year. I put my original 1965 points distributor back in, ran the wire to the coil and she runs great again. My advise would be to try a points distributor just to weed out electronic bugs.

Re: Suddenly my 340 doesn't want to idle hot? [Re: Dodge-N-Shelby] #1471870
07/30/13 10:37 PM
07/30/13 10:37 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Shelby we may very well have been barking up the wrong tree when we assuming it was fuel related

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Suddenly my 340 doesn't want to idle hot? [Re: Dodge-N-Shelby] #1471871
07/31/13 04:38 PM
07/31/13 04:38 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the last 2 weeks I have been fighting a similar problem with the 383 in my 65 Newport. Runs great for 20-25 minutes until it warms up good and then dies when I pull up to a light, slow down to turn, etc. I replaced my 1405 Eddy with a NIB 1405 after fooling with the 1st one, I pulled the intake and blocked the heat ports since I don't need them (trying cool the bottom of carb). A friend suggested that I may have a problem with the electronic ignition swap that I did recently so I tried a new distributor. I ended up dropping my original points distributor in and it runs great. I am guessing that I have either a loose wire or bad box but now that its running good, I will mess with it during winter storage. Just saying that you are not alone and goofy things happen. btw, I am running E-10 with a stock fuel pump and my first thought was that it was vapor locking.

Interesting that this fixed itself with a distributor change. how old is that distributor ? IS it an OLD Chrysler unit or the new mallory unit ?

I had upgraded with a new Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion last year. I put my original 1965 points distributor back in, ran the wire to the coil and she runs great again. My advise would be to try a points distributor just to weed out electronic bugs.

Just for clarification , this is the new MP distributor with the adjustable mechanical advance made by Mallory ?

Re: Suddenly my 340 doesn't want to idle hot? [Re: JohnRR] #1471872
07/31/13 07:20 PM
07/31/13 07:20 PM
Nebraska
D
Dodge-N-Shelby Offline
enthusiast
Dodge-N-Shelby  Offline
enthusiast
D

Nebraska
I would image that it is NOT the newer Mallory setup. I bought it from my neighbor a few years ago and he had it in his garage for a few years before that. Who knows how long it was in stock at the local speed shop. He picked it up to use on his 69 RR and never did the conversion. It was new in a Mopar Performance box is all I know.

Page 2 of 2 1 2