07/20/13 04:27 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Although the Scamp had a fairly stock drivetrain, it did have upgraded wheels and brakes that most likely played a big roll in the event.

Tires yes. Brakes I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. It was a very short course.

What brake did the scamp have. Look like 11" rotor on some sliding piston caliper (stock or mustang 2 piston?) The drilled rotor would be worthless on that short course.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: autoxcuda] #1469782
07/20/13 04:29 PM
07/20/13 04:29 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

Although the Scamp had a fairly stock drivetrain, it did have upgraded wheels and brakes that most likely played a big roll in the event.

Tires yes. Brakes I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. It was a very short course.

What brake did the scamp have. Look like 11" rotor on some sliding piston caliper (stock or mustang 2 piston?) The drilled rotor would be worthless on that short course.

How would 9-10" drums compare to that kit though? Did slant A-bodies come with front discs as an option at that time? Granted it is a short course, would it be long enough for brake fade to develop in drums?

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: MuuMuu101] #1469783
07/20/13 04:49 PM
07/20/13 04:49 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How would 9-10" drums compare to that kit though? Did slant A-bodies come with front discs as an option at that time? Granted it is a short course, would it be long enough for brake fade to develop in drums?

Yes /6 were always available with disc since 1966. More likely to see a /6 with disc in a '72 than a '66 for sure.

But when you said upgraded brakes, I'm thinking Willwood or something. Might be just a common simple inexpensive Late A-body or F-body disc swap.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: autoxcuda] #1469784
07/20/13 08:28 PM
07/20/13 08:28 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes /6 were always available with disc since 1966. More likely to see a /6 with disc in a '72 than a '66 for sure.

But when you said upgraded brakes, I'm thinking Willwood or something. Might be just a common simple inexpensive Late A-body or F-body disc swap.

When I said upgrade, I meant something better than stock (implying/assuming most slants didn't have discs).

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: MuuMuu101] #1469785
07/20/13 11:15 PM
07/20/13 11:15 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not too bad. We autocrossed and short tracked the 62 R&D B-Body on 10" drums all four corners for 2 years.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: Fastback67] #1469786
07/21/13 06:39 PM
07/21/13 06:39 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Here's a couple of shots (one from video). Sorry, but it's the best I can do for you at the moment.

good looking car but its a hard angle to see how the rear end sits.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: 71340vert] #1469787
07/21/13 08:49 PM
07/21/13 08:49 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SwRwY6pDdE
If you watch this video it shows the Emax Chally going around cones. I just don't like the fact that the rear squats down and the front lifts up.
You can notice it in the first 60 secs of the video. I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen when I install the TVS kit on my car.

Other than that it looks good

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: RylisPro] #1469788
07/21/13 09:14 PM
07/21/13 09:14 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

If you watch this video it shows the Emax Chally going around cones. I just don't like the fact that the rear squats down and the front lifts up.
You can notice it in the first 60 secs of the video. I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen when I install the TVS kit on my car.

What "looks good" and "is fast" are two different things.

I'd FIRST make sure your car was as fast as that one, THEN worry about how it looks like during an autocross.

That car has turned autocross times close to better that much more expensive Pro Touring cars from Detroit Speed and Engineering, Swartz, etc, etc.

I think because it's lowered with the natual fender skirt those cars have, it's look like the rear is low just standing still. It's just transfering weight to the rear on acceleration.

If the rear was jacked up 2-3" to start with and the rear compressed the same as in that video, you would not notice it. Even though it's compressing the exact same.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: autoxcuda] #1469789
07/21/13 09:53 PM
07/21/13 09:53 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
I dont know much about suspensions and am still learning, but doesnt the weight transfer to the rear lessen front grip? Can that phenomenon be alleviated in some way? No doubt the car is fast, just seems weird to me?

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: RylisPro] #1469790
07/21/13 10:46 PM
07/21/13 10:46 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I dont know much about suspensions and am still learning, but doesnt the weight transfer to the rear lessen front grip? Can that phenomenon be alleviated in some way? No doubt the car is fast, just seems weird to me?

It's comming out of the corner and going generally straight. Doesn't need front grip. But needs to keep rear tires from spining.

Traction Circle or Friction Circle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjCcFsGLpaM

http://www.rapid-racer.com/driving.php#Car Traction Circle

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: RylisPro] #1469791
07/22/13 10:11 AM
07/22/13 10:11 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Controlling proper weight transfer is very important to car handling. Allowing the nose to come up generates rear traction while accelerating out of a turn. The front wheels are fairly straight and not doing much of anything at that time.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1469792
07/22/13 01:32 PM
07/22/13 01:32 PM
W. Bloomfield, MI
71340vert Offline OP
mopar
71340vert  Offline OP
mopar

W. Bloomfield, MI
In my original post, I guess I should have mentioned that this car is going to see a lot of daily driving. I just wanted to upgrade the car to a nice handling suspension. I've heard concerns about Hiem joints for daily use. Should I be concerned? The car has already been stiffened withXV Motorsport stiffening kit. Will have viper disc brakes up front and big Brembo brakes in back from SRT 8 jeep. New Hemi with Nag 1 trans. The price for the Hotchkis system from THmotorsport is a good price and will probably buy that especiallu if they will giver torsion bars in lieu of frame connectors that I already have.
Can some one make a recommendation for shocks for me? I was thinking about Bilsteins. Also looking for a front wheel that will fit a viper 14.25 diameter rotor. Hopefully something in an 18 inch that's not too pricey.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: 71340vert] #1469793
07/22/13 01:35 PM
07/22/13 01:35 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

In my original post, I guess I should have mentioned that this car is going to see a lot of daily driving. I just wanted to upgrade the car to a nice handling suspension. I've heard concerns about Hiem joints for daily use. Should I be concerned? The car has already been stiffened withXV Motorsport stiffening kit. Will have viper disc brakes up front and big Brembo brakes in back from SRT 8 jeep. New Hemi with Nag 1 trans. The price for the Hotchkis system from THmotorsport is a good price and will probably buy that especiallu if they will giver torsion bars in lieu of frame connectors that I already have.
Can some one make a recommendation for shocks for me? I was thinking about Bilsteins. Also looking for a front wheel that will fit a viper 14.25 diameter rotor. Hopefully something in an 18 inch that's not too pricey.

Our Fox shocks are tuned to run with our system. Also, if you piece together the kit vs. Buying it out right (same price) you can exclude the subframe connectors and add the torsion bars.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: autoxcuda] #1469794
07/23/13 03:26 AM
07/23/13 03:26 AM
Gilroy,CA.
mopardude318 Offline
enthusiast
mopardude318  Offline
enthusiast

Gilroy,CA.
Quote:

Quote:

It's comming out of the corner and going generally straight. Doesn't need front grip. But needs to keep rear tires from spining.

as i was watching those videos, i couldnt help but have the "deer in the headlights" look...

uhhhhhhhhhhhh....WHAT???

I just drive the damn car. Ill buy a kit that works, and let someone else do all the mathematician mumbo jumbo, when puttin one together... then go ripping

408 Stroker 533 HP 520 FT LBS...........................1970 Dart RMS AlterKation
Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: mopardude318] #1469795
07/23/13 03:35 AM
07/23/13 03:35 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

as i was watching those videos, i couldnt help but have the "deer in the headlights" look...

uhhhhhhhhhhhh....WHAT???

I just drive the damn car. Ill buy a kit that works, and let someone else do all the mathematician mumbo jumbo, when puttin one together... then go ripping

I'm sorry. I couldn't find just a plain simple explanation that they teach in almost every track day driving school.

It's much simpler that that dudes math.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: autoxcuda] #1469796
07/26/13 02:29 PM
07/26/13 02:29 PM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY
no experience with their parts personally, but there is value to be had with parts that are designed to work together and buying them all at once.

i have had various projects and more recently (post baby) have not had the time to hunt out the best deal part for part and then tinker to make it all work together.

regardless of this, before you buy anything, you should have an idea of what you want to do with the car, and your budget and buy what works for that. if you dont have a plan, before you buy parts it might not end well.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: autoxcuda] #1469797
08/02/13 11:56 AM
08/02/13 11:56 AM
Johnstown, PA
fastbackmopar Offline
fastbackmopar  Offline

Johnstown, PA
Quote:

Quote:

I'm running Wilwoods drilled and slotted kit on the front and 11" drums on the rear.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: Fastback67] #1469798
08/02/13 12:00 PM
08/02/13 12:00 PM
Johnstown, PA
fastbackmopar Offline
fastbackmopar  Offline

Johnstown, PA
Quote:

Quote:

To the original poster, the best example of the effectiveness of our system would be the autocross event we just did in Carlisle. A 72 Scamp that was bone stock with a 1bbl Slant six placed 1st in A-Body (by nearly 3 seconds) and 6th overall with nothing done to the car other than our TVS and shocks.

I saw that car at the show... I watched it on the track from above. I can't tell you how surprised I was when I went down to the field and actually looked at the car up close.... "Is this the same car that I just saw buzzing around the track?"... I found myself looking around the field for a similar looking car, because this little 6-banger couldn't possibly be the right one.

Way Cool!

Hopefully, I'll be out there next year with my ride.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you liked it.

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: fastbackmopar] #1469799
08/07/13 02:02 PM
08/07/13 02:02 PM
W. Bloomfield, MI
71340vert Offline OP
mopar
71340vert  Offline OP
mopar

W. Bloomfield, MI
up date, I just ordered the Hotchkis TVS from Autoplicity. The price was much friendlier from them and they allowed me to swap the frame rail connectors for Hotchkis torsion bars and I just paid the difference. Also bought the Hotchkis tuned Fox shocks that are not listed on their website but they were able to get for me at a nice savings and they are shipping all of it for $50. They were very helpful on the phone, and seemed to like their job unlike so many people I've tried to buy parts from. Pleasure doing business with them. They seem to have great customer service. They told me it might take a day or two longer to receive my parts because they were breaking up a kit. I appreciate them letting me know that and being honest about the delivery time frame. If I get everything I ordered in the time frame I was told, I will highly recommend using them

Re: Is Hotchkis TVS suspension really worth the money [Re: 71340vert] #1469800
08/07/13 03:52 PM
08/07/13 03:52 PM
NH
Fastback67 Offline
enthusiast
Fastback67  Offline
enthusiast

NH
Quote:

They told me it might take a day or two longer to receive my parts because they were breaking up a kit.

It shouldn't matter really... every piece of the kit comes in it's own individual box anyway. At least, that's how mine arrived, one box at a time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3