USA
R
ramairthree Offline OP
enthusiast
ramairthree  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

USA
The sending unit that was listed as correct has a straight fuel tube and a straight vent tube, even though listed as correct.

My 74 RR has a bend fuel tube, no vent tube on the original sending unit (vent is at that dome that goes to a canister in under the hood, not that I actually have the canister)

Has anyone else had this problem, I just capped off the extra vent tube and the straight fuel tube does fit,

just kind of annoying when you get a part as listed exactly for an application.

Then again, for those of you other 73/4 owners out there-
we get no love in aftermarket compared to earlier so I should just be glad I got something.

Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: ramairthree] #1460074
06/30/13 07:04 AM
06/30/13 07:04 AM
Fitchburg,Massachusetts
MPerry Offline
Mopahts memba'
MPerry  Offline
Mopahts memba'

Fitchburg,Massachusetts
I'll have to look at mine when I get a chance. I bought a 3/8 unit and don't remember it having a vent on it. My tank has a vent nipple that I initially plugged until I realized it had a non venting cap.

Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: ramairthree] #1460075
06/30/13 12:14 PM
06/30/13 12:14 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
that's not a vent tube, it's a fuel return line. I use a 74 B body tank (it is NOT the same tank as the 73 - 73 uses the flat top tank with the 4 nipple separator). and I use it with the 3/8" sender and a return line in my 78 fury, because it has the vapor hump built into the tank that fits into the trunk, and because it fits dual exhaust.

If I am not mistaken, only HiPo apps use the return line, so it sounds like you got a good sender. Or, you have a 74 that used left over 73 parts.

I actually need a new 3/8 sender with return for 74, could you please tell us where you bought?

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: VincentVega] #1460076
06/30/13 01:44 PM
06/30/13 01:44 PM
USA
R
ramairthree Offline OP
enthusiast
ramairthree  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

USA
I have the original 74 tank and sending unit.
It has the fuel vent/vapor tube on top of the dome. This goes to a line that goes to under the hood, but seems to be clogged/welded off at where it would connect to the canister.

I have the pressure vacuum/non vented fuel neck cap.

the sending unit is the 5/16 fuel line 90 degree bend neck, and the stud for the sending wire.

Both the Tamraz 3/8 and 5/16 sending units have straight fuel line tubes, the return line that I thought might be for a vent.

I do not see the 90degree bend ones anywhere available.
I think I saw one straight 5/16 fuel line tube sender with no return line at one vender when I started looking closer.

Because my vapor system line is clogged,
and I have a no vent cap,

I am not sure if I should use the dome tube as a vent and disconnect it from the line to under the hood,
or if the fuel filler cap does vent/release once enough vacuum builds up.

Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: ramairthree] #1460077
06/30/13 03:36 PM
06/30/13 03:36 PM
Fitchburg,Massachusetts
MPerry Offline
Mopahts memba'
MPerry  Offline
Mopahts memba'

Fitchburg,Massachusetts
I looked at mine and it does have the return nipple. I bought mine from Year One because everyone else seemed to be sold out of them at the time.

Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: MPerry] #1460078
06/30/13 08:05 PM
06/30/13 08:05 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
You probably could have got away with a standard 5/16 sender without the return line from an earlier model and specifically looked for the 90 degree bent delivery pipe...Don't know who makes one without doing a search but since you've already got it I'd use it and mabe down the line when you swap another engine in it could use the return...
Just keep in mind that return will be submerged in fuel and needs to be capped off with fuel/heat in mind to avoid trouble....The exhaust is real close to the tank on the rear exit/slotted, tipped pipes...

A few thoughts on the venting issue...
Is the vent line functional at the connection of the tank/hardline union {above the tank} ???
Is it simply a matter of tube-cutting the cap off the canister end to make the run functional ??
If so I'd get a canister and hook the line up to it...
That would get the vent tube up above the tank as the factory intended...
Then either run the line to the carb as the factory did or just use the canister and leave the carb line off{venting into the atmosphere}...
And lastely,on the cheap, if the vent hardline is shot and not capable of venting to the front of the vehicle you could run a rubber hose off the tank vent but you'd need it up as high as possible under the car and use something like an axle vent to end the run...
Some have drilled a small hole in the pressure/vacuum caps to do the job but you run the risk of fuel spraying out when accelerating and I'm not sure how doing that would affect the 74 tank and vent system...{a 1 year,humped up wonder of a tank}

Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: screamindriver] #1460079
07/01/13 01:02 PM
07/01/13 01:02 PM
USA
R
ramairthree Offline OP
enthusiast
ramairthree  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

USA
Thank you.

I was thinking of cutting off the tip for drilling it out and seeing if it was good. According to the manual there was supposed to be some valve that only let vapor and not fuel into the cannister.

I do not have a cannister, mount, or the valve but may still try it.

Like many rare factory original air cleaners, I can only guess how many cannisters made it into the Junkyards back in the day.

I am not even sure where to find one.

Per the manual, the factory cap was non venting, but with enough vacuum built up would let it equalize. My factory cap is old enough that it is a venting non-venting cap with the foam seal shot. My new Stant replacement, let the car run a few minutes, and you can feel the pressure when taking it off. I am not sure it it would vent at enough pressure like the original says it did.

On a 69 GTO there is a tube on the top of the tank that just sticks up and clamps to the frame. It has steel wool or something in it to keep dust out, but no rollover valve or anything. A very full tank of gas and jack the rear end up high enough, let alone roll over, and it will leak. DAMHIK. I keep forgetting to order a rollover cap for it.

Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: ramairthree] #1460080
07/01/13 09:51 PM
07/01/13 09:51 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
I was educating myself on that peticular tank and system...It looks like the tank actually carried over another year or 2 into the cordoba line of vehicles.... And appears that vent/separator system is self contained in the tank so all you really need is a charcoal canister from a 70s vehicle to make it look official... After looking at where the vent orfice is located{on the tank} you'd have a hard time getting a ventline up above the tank other than just running it up and above the frame,into the canister as intended... See what you can come up with in the boneyards near you... If you come up empty I could get some parts to you if need be...

Re: 74 B Body sending units... [Re: screamindriver] #1460081
07/07/13 11:32 PM
07/07/13 11:32 PM
USA
R
ramairthree Offline OP
enthusiast
ramairthree  Offline OP
enthusiast
R

USA
Thank you very much.

It is very peculiar.

I went with a repo tank and they cost a lot compared to most other tanks.

My tube does vent. Seemed to be just a hair of braze to drill through. Now, I do not know what vapor only no fluid in line valve to get, or if I had a full tank and was going down steep hills chasing black Chargers and green Mustangs, would gas leak out of this tube.

JYs here are late model stuff, no hope finding a canister or brackets.
I am tempted to just leave it as is and maybe put a roll over valve on it.

Thanks again.