south jersey
S
sc287 Offline OP
Bah! Who needs a Hemi?!?!
sc287  Offline OP
Bah! Who needs a Hemi?!?!
S

south jersey
i cant find my nhra rule book and have a question regarding the shut off switch so if someone could help that would be great. my question is does th switch have to be in the rear ? or can it be on the side. i have a 73 chally, which i just installed a fuel cell and was going to put the shut off switch under the stock gas cap. is that possible ? thanks guys also if anybody has done something to that affect pics would be great for some ideas and reference

Last edited by sc287; 11/04/08 03:50 PM.
Re: Emergency Shut Off Switch [Re: sc287] #145582
11/04/08 03:53 PM
11/04/08 03:53 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

i cant find my nhra rule book and have a question regarding the shut off switch so if someone could help that would be great. my question is does th switch have to be in the rear ? or can it be on the side. i have a 73 chally, which i just installed a fuel cell and was going to put the shut off switch under the stock gas cap . is that possible ? thanks guys also if anybody has done something to that affect pics would be great for some ideas and reference

how will anyone find it?

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Emergency Shut Off Switch [Re: HealthServices] #145583
11/04/08 03:54 PM
11/04/08 03:54 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Rulebook states it must be on the rear.

If you are going for invisability, usually tyhe best bet, is to use a push/pull type of switch. Run the bar in through a very small hole.

Then remove the bar when you aren't at the track. Although, you have to have it labeled "push off" or something like that, so you may have to add a label when ravcing too. Very commonly done on street strip type cars.

Last edited by dave571; 11/04/08 03:57 PM.
Re: Emergency Shut Off Switch [Re: HealthServices] #145584
11/04/08 04:00 PM
11/04/08 04:00 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
From the website FAQ

http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

I have a street car that I occasionally run at the strip. I've relocated the battery to the rear. What else do I need?
Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff, capable of stopping all electrical functions including ignition ( must shut the engine off, as well as fuel pumps, etc .). The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle , with the "off" position clearly marked . If the switch is of a "push / pull" type, then "push" must be the motion that shuts off the switch, and plastic or "keyed" typed switches are prohibited . Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver and/or driver compartment. This means a metal bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment, or the battery must be located in a sealed, metal box constructed of minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum, or in an NHRA accepted plastic box. In cars with a conventional trunk, metal can simply be installed behind the rear seat and under the package tray to effectively seal the battery off from the driver. In a hatchback type vehicle the battery box is usually the easiest solution, since the alternative is to fabricate a bulkhead which seals to the hatch when closed. At present, Moroso is the only company which offers an NHRA accepted plastic battery box, part number 74050.

Last edited by HealthServices; 11/04/08 04:13 PM.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Emergency Shut Off Switch [Re: sc287] #145585
11/04/08 04:04 PM
11/04/08 04:04 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

i just installed a fuel cell

You also need a fire wall now between the passenger compartment and trunk.

A sheet of metal at the speaker tray as well as behind the seat will work.

minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum

Last edited by HealthServices; 11/04/08 04:05 PM.