Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
we have been working hard on my reaction time this is last night's best reaction but not best time. I was doing in the 9's. yes car may be slow but the rabbit don't always win. I have to work on staging better now that we have made so many changes to car and that is done weekly to improve performance therefore its a learning experience every time we go. not consistent yet but now that I know what to do to change that will work on that next time along with trying to get a 0.0000 reaction. I did get a -0.0111 ugg last week almost. I wish some place let ya run all night not really racing but perfecting your technique but that is only in the perfect world lol. The week before I was doing 0.05. The spool that was added was a little tricky turning and staging last night. hard to get straight and even. I guess have to just back up now to get it right I hate to do that because I feel I am holding everyone up I just gotta do it anyway.

7748528-DSC02243_S.jpg (119 downloads)

"A goal without a plan is just a wish."

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: jnkgal] #1455460
06/19/13 11:48 PM
06/19/13 11:48 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Practice makes perfect,well makes us better anyway. I got nailed last weekend by a 13.70 street car with a total package of .008. GOOD LUCK KEEP AT IT.
Doug

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: jnkgal] #1455461
06/20/13 12:28 AM
06/20/13 12:28 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Backing up is the WORST THING you can do... unless
you roll a GOOD 3' back out...you need to reset the
sprag ... dont worry about the best or worst RT...
always try to find your average... if your average
has a wide spread... find a practice tree to play on

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1455462
06/20/13 12:43 AM
06/20/13 12:43 AM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
Quote:

Backing up is the WORST THING you can do... unless
you roll a GOOD 3' back out...you need to reset the
sprag ... dont worry about the best or worst RT...
always try to find your average... if your average
has a wide spread... find a practice tree to play on

Our staging lane is not straight with the track it has a very sharp right hand turn to get on the track and where I am backing up is almost into the burn out box. It is not into the starting line I am still 20 feet from the starting line. Just backing car to line up because of the spool.

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: jnkgal] #1455463
06/20/13 01:13 PM
06/20/13 01:13 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Here are 4 RT's from last Saturday night. .023, .049, .045, -.003. Unfortunately, the last RT was the first round of eliminations. I race approx. once a month. Yes, I have a practice tree. IMO, above is just about what you can expect if you race once a month. To be competitive in todays bracket racing, you gotta go out at least twice a month and to win with any consistency, once a week - and while you're at it, race at the same track all the time and don't make any changes to your car. I, like many of us, am always trying new things to make my junk run a little bit faster. I also like to run at different tracks when I can. That's why I do not take winning / losing to seriously any more. I do like to bracket race because I enjoy the competition, but I'm not about to give up the "tinkering" and racing at other tracks just to turn on the win light. BTW, I did have a .0007 light this year - pure luck .

Fastest 300
Re: Reaction to what? [Re: Crizila] #1455464
06/20/13 02:00 PM
06/20/13 02:00 PM
Indy
FlyFish Offline
super stock
FlyFish  Offline
super stock

Indy
I wouldn't TRY for a 0.000 light....in the words of Mike Dunn "That's just a bad job of red lighting". If you are a bottom bulb foot brake racer (which it sounds like), I would shoot for teens and 20's. If you can do that consistently you WILL go rounds. If you were a top bulb racer then you would want teens to 0.00x.

Practice is key, good luck.

67 Barracuda street car, 408, e85, 1.38 60', 6.44 @105.9 in the 1/8 mile, 10.19 @130.5 in the 1/4...so far....
Re: Reaction to what? [Re: jnkgal] #1455465
06/20/13 03:44 PM
06/20/13 03:44 PM
Rowlett, TX
74DusterP457 Offline
mopar addict
74DusterP457  Offline
mopar addict

Rowlett, TX
Make a list of every step from when you belt in and move from staging to the water. You need to be mechanical. Same burnout procedure, make sure temps are in the normal zone, same staging method, first or last, how/when you come up on the converter, everything. Brake pressure/release and trans temps will impact RT.

I agree with another post. Don't back up unless you absolutely must. And if you do back up, don't back into the water.

The message, is try to remove the car as a variable to the maximum extent possible.

Staging depth will affect reaction time.

Make sure you bump in the same distance.

Use a practice tree.

Work towards consistent .015 to .025 RTs.

Don't think. It's called Reaction Time for a reason.

With experience, you will see the tree better.

The eye is also very sensitive to light intensity. RTs vary between daytime and nighttime. Maybe a pair of anti-glare sun glasses like shooters use will help during day racing.

Good luck. Your RTs aren't that bad.

Paul

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: 74DusterP457] #1455466
06/21/13 01:40 PM
06/21/13 01:40 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
1. Send someone over to inform the driver you will be racing that you are new and need a little more time staging,they will work with you if you tell them in advance!

2. When you go through the burn out box line the car up best as possible with the tire prints going down the track,pull into the beams that way and don't worry about it,you can correct if need be when you leave the starting line.

3.When staging stage as shallow as possible,thats the easiest way to stage the same everytime.With a foot-break car,watch for the 1st amber to come on like if you were using a delay box,when the first amber comes on count 1-2 and go.You can adjust you number count up or down to get your RT where its needed.I don't know about where you race but down here in the South a.020-.030 light is not going to get you any round wins,unless its just a lucky round for you,or should I say unlucky round for the car in the other lane.IF YOU ARE GOING TO RACE,RACE TO WIN!

4. KEEP IT AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE,you have enough to worry about getting the car staged proper and making a good run,remember you are a Racer not a Clown,so there is no need for you to preform any Tricks!

5.When you go to the Track,GO THERE TO WIN!
GOOD LUCK!

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Reaction to what? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1455467
06/21/13 06:29 PM
06/21/13 06:29 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va

Get a full face helmet and put tape on shield to line up with the second light spot on the tree, both lanes. Then react with bottom light, don't try to anticipate by counting. Then raise or lower rpm for the good light. Alot of practice and be consistent. Every hundredth your car is off that adds to reaction time, create a small package. If car is off you'll have to play running out the back.

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: cudaman1969] #1455468
06/21/13 06:51 PM
06/21/13 06:51 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
A car that 60' that slow is to fast to leave off the middle light to slow to leave off the bottom bulb.Also on a Foot-Brake car for the best 60',you want have the RPM off idle just enough to where it will leave clean and not bog.For the best RT & 60' time you want to flash the converter as hard as possible.And the only way to do that is keep the RPM'S as low as possible matters not if its a stock or 7,000 RPM converter and when you hit the throttle its Flashes(maybe Free Wheels is a better word non Drag Race term)the converter.
Anyone who has never tried this method with their Foot-Brake car,try it this weekend and notice the Quicker RT and 60' time.

PS I make a living working on Bracket Race & Grudge Race cars alone with Bracket & Grudge Racing and have Partners who have and don't mind putting up BIG $$$ on Grudge Races!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 06/21/13 07:01 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Reaction to what? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1455469
06/21/13 07:11 PM
06/21/13 07:11 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
OMG went back and looked at the times. The only way I can see a good reaction time now is off top light with a delay box, two step and 4 wheel line locks. You need a real car bad.

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: cudaman1969] #1455470
06/21/13 08:19 PM
06/21/13 08:19 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
So what's your problem? you say the staging lane has a sharp turn to get on to the track, Been to a few that were over 90 degree turns, no problem , then your backing up almost to the burn out box. Do you do a burn out? If you did , it would seem that you would make the turn, then back into the burn out area? Been to tracks like that, no problem. that would put you straight to the starting line. I can't believe the burn out area is on a angle , then make a sharp turn to the track.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Reaction to what? [Re: Crizila] #1455471
06/21/13 10:22 PM
06/21/13 10:22 PM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
Quote:

Here are 4 RT's from last Saturday night. .023, .049, .045, -.003. Unfortunately, the last RT was the first round of eliminations. I race approx. once a month. Yes, I have a practice tree. IMO, above is just about what you can expect if you race once a month. To be competitive in todays bracket racing, you gotta go out at least twice a month and to win with any consistency, once a week - and while you're at it, race at the same track all the time and don't make any changes to your car. I, like many of us, am always trying new things to make my junk run a little bit faster. I also like to run at different tracks when I can. That's why I do not take winning / losing to seriously any more. I do like to bracket race because I enjoy the competition, but I'm not about to give up the "tinkering" and racing at other tracks just to turn on the win light. BTW, I did have a .0007 light this year - pure luck .

[
"Unfortunately, the last RT was the first round of eliminations."

yep do know how that one is...

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: rowin4] #1455472
06/21/13 10:24 PM
06/21/13 10:24 PM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
Quote:

So what's your problem? you say the staging lane has a sharp turn to get on to the track, Been to a few that were over 90 degree turns, no problem , then your backing up almost to the burn out box. Do you do a burn out? If you did , it would seem that you would make the turn, then back into the burn out area? Been to tracks like that, no problem. that would put you straight to the starting line. I can't believe the burn out area is on a angle , then make a sharp turn to the track.

nope no burn out we made that decision before we started running the car.

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: jnkgal] #1455473
06/21/13 10:56 PM
06/21/13 10:56 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

[

Well, it wasn't quite that funny at the time. When I race, I always go with the intention to win. I just don't fret over it for days anymore when I do the above.

7750592-returnroad.jpg (31 downloads)

Fastest 300
Re: Reaction to what? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1455474
06/21/13 11:27 PM
06/21/13 11:27 PM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
Quote:

1. Send someone over to inform the driver you will be racing that you are new and need a little more time staging,they will work with you if you tell them in advance!

2. When you go through the burn out box line the car up best as possible with the tire prints going down the track,pull into the beams that way and don't worry about it,you can correct if need be when you leave the starting line.

3.When staging stage as shallow as possible,thats the easiest way to stage the same everytime.With a foot-break car,watch for the 1st amber to come on like if you were using a delay box,when the first amber comes on count 1-2 and go.You can adjust you number count up or down to get your RT where its needed.I don't know about where you race but down here in the South a.020-.030 light is not going to get you any round wins,unless its just a lucky round for you,or should I say unlucky round for the car in the other lane.IF YOU ARE GOING TO RACE,RACE TO WIN!

4. KEEP IT AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE,you have enough to worry about getting the car staged proper and making a good run,remember you are a Racer not a Clown,so there is no need for you to preform any Tricks!

5.When you go to the Track,GO THERE TO WIN!
GOOD LUCK!

that's what I do one two go and slam it. we have been working on getting the car consistent its about there. Last time we ran it was the first time the spool was on. someone there told me the reason that I spun slightly was because I was not straight. I had been lining up straight before the spool.

we had this car with grass grown up in a field been there years more than five. we took old parts sitting around and combined this and that to get this car going so we could have some fun.

The first time it ran the old carb we put on it was flooding, we had too small tires on it and it spun a lot, the cars favorite temp that night was 210 plus but he said Keep running it.

well we went home bought a NEW carb, put wider tires on it and a fan shroud. it didn't have a fan shroud because it had to be fabricated and we ran out of time. it has a nice one now and does not over heat.

then decided to do the spool still spinning a little. and other adjustments to enhance the performance. its just a fun little car to play with.

we had a discussion on burn out yes or no and it was decided no. we are going to control how the car handles with the set up instead. It also saves on tires.

we won two gift cards for my reaction time shockingly. there is a girl there Brittany who has a time in the elevens and she has won a few times at that track she drives a dodge magnum.

you are correct when you say no tricks. we don't care about those look at me antics. show offs sometimes bite their self in their behind and loose anyway. anyone can do a burn out. it takes skill to keep constant et time and reaction times. that is where I am at trying to get that perfect reaction time down first. we are just practicing now. yes I love to go faster but learn the basics first. that is our approach.

we have other race cars.

68 satellite and the picture I am going to show is one that I took from a frame of a video I took in 2008 and added text because I was going to make him a t-shirt.

a rampage tube car which is ..... ok cant say wait till its done be s big tnt surprise in small package

and a 454 73 Camaro street dragster which I have decided not to race. and not sure yet if want to leave a 454 or put in a 440 or a Cummins diesel probably leave a 454 its
in line with our other projects of getting done so have plenty of time to decide.

we both got burned out on car shows omg if you see one you've seen them all no creativity nothing different we can look in our back yard and see all the cars we want lol rather be working and playing with ours than looking at all these look alike cars that they cant tell ya nothing about it cept who worked on it or painted it for them. why have them unless you play with them. that is all the fun in it

that reminds me I need to get on top of selling these charger parts we have from the three I had a few years back.

ok here is the image of the satellite its been repainted and the motor freshened up before it did a 738 I am thinking it will be in the 6's and maybe pull the wheels it tried to before. and the burn out was done before we decided no more burn outs he sure did some pretty ones too

thanks for the pointers
he told me turn real wide or you can break an aisle with a spool lol I did take that seriously
its all in fun lol ill be straight on line next time lol I just wont turn that wide and just back up if I need to it was not that crooked just a little enough to cause me to not be exactly center and one tire spun and was a teeny bit more forward than the other one

lol hope to take my training wheels off once I get reaction time perfected

thanks again
[image][/image]

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: Crizila] #1455475
06/21/13 11:32 PM
06/21/13 11:32 PM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[

Well, it wasn't quite that funny at the time. When I race, I always go with the intention to win. I just don't fret over it for days anymore when I do the above.

I tend to break out ( go too fast ) in eliminations lol we change the number lower and still I go tooo fast lol
I wasn't laughing at you it was at me
I have done that also
we can only get better
practice makes perfection

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1455476
06/21/13 11:55 PM
06/21/13 11:55 PM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
Quote:

A car that 60' that slow is to fast to leave off the middle light to slow to leave off the bottom bulb.Also on a Foot-Brake car for the best 60',you want have the RPM off idle just enough to where it will leave clean and not bog.For the best RT & 60' time you want to flash the converter as hard as possible.And the only way to do that is keep the RPM'S as low as possible matters not if its a stock or 7,000 RPM converter and when you hit the throttle its Flashes(maybe Free Wheels is a better word non Drag Race term)the converter.
Anyone who has never tried this method with their Foot-Brake car,try it this weekend and notice the Quicker RT and 60' time.

PS I make a living working on Bracket Race & Grudge Race cars alone with Bracket & Grudge Racing and have Partners who have and don't mind putting up BIG $$$ on Grudge Races!

yes in between lights amazing you picked up on that from the time slip
its one two go but go is a little tricky and found that if I run rpms up at first light then it will red light so go at idle for now
and all this will change if we make adjustments again

we know we had tranny and still do issue. so we just put in a van tranny and ran it last time with it and it shifts too fast but for now its what we got in it. you have to know this is just old parts from here and there cept a new carb so far. even the wheels are all used also. interesting project but it will get much better and improved in the future as we change it.

it is a really fun car

that is awesome you can make a living racing that would be so much fun. would love to do that! good for you ! not many can do something they love and make a living at it.

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: 74DusterP457] #1455477
06/22/13 01:20 AM
06/22/13 01:20 AM
Daisyland USA
J
jnkgal Offline OP
master
jnkgal  Offline OP
master
J

Daisyland USA
Quote:

Make a list of every step from when you belt in and move from staging to the water. You need to be mechanical. Same burnout procedure, make sure temps are in the normal zone, same staging method, first or last, how/when you come up on the converter, everything. Brake pressure/release and trans temps will impact RT.

I agree with another post. Don't back up unless you absolutely must. And if you do back up, don't back into the water.

The message, is try to remove the car as a variable to the maximum extent possible.

Staging depth will affect reaction time.

Make sure you bump in the same distance.

Use a practice tree.

Work towards consistent .015 to .025 RTs.

Don't think. It's called Reaction Time for a reason.

With experience, you will see the tree better.

The eye is also very sensitive to light intensity. RTs vary between daytime and nighttime. Maybe a pair of anti-glare sun glasses like shooters use will help during day racing.

Good luck. Your RTs aren't that bad.

Paul

thanks for the advise
lol yep I accidently backed into the water once last time
never again
made for slide had to let off and then go again
messed up my et totally

staging depth just barely turn top light on idle was set up now since last time so I can idle into the light. before and last time I had to give it gas and brake to hit the light. I hope this next time all I have to do is use the brake to barely turn the light on.
thanks

rampage
[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Re: Reaction to what? [Re: cudaman1969] #1455478
06/22/13 08:13 AM
06/22/13 08:13 AM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
Quote:

OMG went back and looked at the times. The only way I can see a good reaction time now is off top light with a delay box, two step and 4 wheel line locks. You need a real car bad.

I guess there are a lot of us that need "a real car" !
A 'Real car is what ever you start with.
For almost everybody, doing what you can to get that car to leave at the time when YOU hit the gas is the best way to better more consistent reaction times. We are most consistent when we are in sink to the light, not trying to leave a little bit later.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Page 1 of 2 1 2