OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
David_Trimble  Offline OP
super stock
D

OK
I'm doing the B-body disk conversion on my '69 Charger, and I found a donor in the junkyard in the form of a '78 Dodge Diplomat. However, while I know the front suspension of late '60s B-bodies pretty well I know nothing about the front suspension of a '78 Diplomat (well, aside from the disk brake aspect of the swap). So I was mildly surprised when I stuck my head under the car and noticed that there's no torsion bar suspension. However I wasn't even able to determine just how the suspension worked (no coil springs that I could see...)

Anyway, about the removal- I almost got one of the spindles off- could not get the upper A-frame to release the spindle though. I suspect though that I'm simply doing something wrong. Since I don't have a FSM for M-body cars, could someone give me pointers on how to remove spindle assemblies from Diplomats?

Thanks!
David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: How to remove disks on a '78 Diplomat? [Re: David_Trimble] #1454535
06/17/13 07:44 PM
06/17/13 07:44 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Diplomats use transverse torsion bars, it is both a strut rod and a torsion bar. If you look where the strut rod would be on your B body you will see the torsion bar.

As for the ball joint/spindle issue, same as your B body in removal. I usually loosen the nut on the ball joint stud and smack the spindle perpendicular tot he stud with a hammer. Sometimes I have to preload the joint with a crowbar and smack again. Loosening the nut is a safety measure, so the spindle doesn't fall down and hit you when it comes apart. Also, you might want to back off the torsion bar adjusters, on a Diplomat they are located forward of the wheel and on the opposite side.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: How to remove disks on a '78 Diplomat? [Re: David_Trimble] #1454536
06/17/13 07:45 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
The torsion bars on those go across the frontend not front to rear and I believe you need to release the pressure on those to get the spindls loose.

Re: How to remove disks on a '78 Diplomat? [Re: David_Trimble] #1454537
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

The torsion bars are transverse. I imagine the ball joints on the upper control arms are pretty well stuck into the knuckles, but no different than other cars. The old pickle fork or ball joint separator should do the trick.

R.

Re: How to remove disks on a '78 Diplomat? [Re: Supercuda] #1454538
06/17/13 08:03 PM
06/17/13 08:03 PM
OK
D
David_Trimble Offline OP
super stock
David_Trimble  Offline OP
super stock
D

OK
Quote:

Diplomats use transverse torsion bars, it is both a strut rod and a torsion bar. If you look where the strut rod would be on your B body you will see the torsion bar.

As for the ball joint/spindle issue, same as your B body in removal. I usually loosen the nut on the ball joint stud and smack the spindle perpendicular tot he stud with a hammer. Sometimes I have to preload the joint with a crowbar and smack again. Loosening the nut is a safety measure, so the spindle doesn't fall down and hit you when it comes apart. Also, you might want to back off the torsion bar adjusters, on a Diplomat they are located forward of the wheel and on the opposite side.

Ah ok- I suspected that what looked like a sway bar was in fact a torsion bar (it looked like it had 2 sway bars which I thought was rather unusual).

Yea I was employing a pickle fork on the balljoints (with the nuts just loosened as you say- I didn't want something coming loose all of a sudden and smacking me) and it worked great on the steering linkage and the lower balljoint. It was the upper one that was being a pain. I didn't have a crowbar with me, plus I didn't know how to back off the torsion bar adjustment (well on this type of torsion bar) so those two problems were probably working against me. I've got a long crowbar that I'll be bringing when I come back to the yard.

Edit - to clarify on the torsion bar adjust- so if I were to back off on the adjustment for the driver's side front wheel, I would look for the adjuster on the passenger side, forward of the passenger side wheel- correct?

Last edited by David_Trimble; 06/17/13 08:08 PM.

'69 Dodge Charger R/T
Re: How to remove disks on a '78 Diplomat? [Re: David_Trimble] #1454539
06/17/13 08:13 PM
06/17/13 08:13 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Edit - to clarify on the torsion bar adjust- so if I were to back off on the adjustment for the driver's side front wheel, I would look for the adjuster on the passenger side, forward of the passenger side wheel- correct?

Correct see the link http://www.dippy.org/svcman/image/0201.jpg

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.