M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

I am running the Kevco oil pan that holds 5 quarts in my small block. I run a little over 5 quarts in it because of oil in filter. I run a stock non HV or HP oil pump.My lifter bores are bushed with small holes in them and oil the rockers through the push rods.I shift at 6800 but have shifted at 7000. So far no problems. I have probably made 150 1/8 mile passes since last Sept.

Thanks for the reply! So roughly I was running close to the same as you were, and although my dipstick is not calibrated perfectly, hopefully its close enough that the oil I added to get back to the full line on the dipstick is the right amount of oil for my setup with the external lines and filter.

Re: Oil pressure at WOT is scaring me! [Re: mshred] #1447785
06/06/13 08:05 PM
06/06/13 08:05 PM
so ca
M
mikesiron Offline
mikesiron  Offline
M

so ca
Quote:

Quote:

It was the stock location pan. The oil temp was taken at the bottom of the pan so the probe was submerged at all times. The fitting on the kevco pan is to high and will give you a false reading because its not submerged all the time. The lines were about 18-20in long. The filter (system one) was mounted right above the rt rear valve cover. ALWAYS used Mobil 1 10w30 and I added one bottle of zddp zink additve per 5qts. The oil temp would very deponding on track conditions dry slick track I could spin the tires at will and oil temp would always be low. But if the track was hooked up there was a lot more load on the engine and oil temp would be up over 280 deg for about 10-15 laps. We were not alowed to run oil cooler. Oil preasure is restance to flow. Heavy oil=less flow and more oil temp. Lite oil=more flow and cooler oil temp. I to had many oil system mods.

My temp probe is on a bung I welded in similar to the drain plug on the pan, but the other side of the pan, so mine is always submerged as well. That seems like a lot of oil for your setup if we are running the same pan, as my lines are 43" for each one (in/out) to the filter, and I am only running about 7qts.

How did your cam lobes look on that motor running the off the shelf synthetic stuff with the ZDDP? I really would like to run synthetic oil, but am worried about the life of my camshaft being it is a flat tappet.

Same came and lifters for 3 seasons. It was hyd flat tappet with only 130lbs seat and about 280 over the nose.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3