11/01/08 07:48 PM
11/01/08 07:48 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I'm still trying to find the answer to this question. Was there anything in particular that dictated whether a 68-70 A-body got a Saginaw or Federal power steering pump or was it just a matter of chance as to which was installed at the factory? I've seen both on cars from all three years so it doesn't appear to depend on the year of the car.

Re: A-body power steering pumps [Re: 6PAX] #144437
11/01/08 08:11 PM
11/01/08 08:11 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I'm still trying to find the answer to this question. Was there anything in particular that dictated whether a 68-70 A-body got a Saginaw or Federal power steering pump or was it just a matter of chance as to which was installed at the factory? I've seen both on cars from all three years so it doesn't appear to depend on the year of the car.

They were intermixed. From looking at various V8 A/C cars in 68, they tended to get the Federal. It usually has to due with A/C, motor, axle ratio sometimes. It may be coded on your buildsheet.

What is the car, motor, and trans that you want to put a power steering pump on?

Are you looking for which unit for a factory correct restoration? Or something that looks fine and functions well?

I'll still stand by my experiances and others' experiances that the Saginaw unit will function better under all conditions you can throw at it than the federal pump.

Re: A-body power steering pumps [Re: autoxcuda] #144438
11/01/08 10:28 PM
11/01/08 10:28 PM
Detroit area
6PAX Offline OP
master
6PAX  Offline OP
master

Detroit area
I have three Darts with power steering and a fourth which I am putting PS on. My 68 with a 318 with no air has the late Saginaw type. My 69 with /6 and AC has a Chrysler/Federal type. My 70 with /6 and no AC has a Chry/Fed type. I bought a PS set-up for my 70 340 Dart that was supposed to be from a 70 318 Dart and it is the Chry/Fed type. When I bought it I wasn't aware that there were different types of pumps. I never noticed that the 68 Dart pump was different than the others. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was looking at buying another pump for the 69 Dart for when I remove the /6 and put in a 340 and I have a choice between the early or late Saginaw types. I figured it would be easier to just buy another pump with the brackets on it than to find just the brackets in order to use the pump on the /6 in the car now. But it sounds like I shouldn't use the Chry/Fed pump in the car now anyway. Being I already paid to have the Chry/Fed pump that I bought for the 70 340 car gone through, it is going on the car. But I want to make sure I get the best pump for the 69 for when the 340 goes in. My main concern is getting the best functioning pump that I will have no mounting issues with. I checked the timing cover I bought for the motor and it has the timing tab on the driver side. I also bought a new Mopar Performance aluminum water pump.

4786958-pumpsfront.jpg (63 downloads)