Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Who has used a chassis dyno and did it help your tune? [Re: sshemi] #1440593
05/25/13 09:04 AM
05/25/13 09:04 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Quote:

Sorry to highjack but while where on the subject.
I know of a chassie dyno pretty close to me and not very expensive but...
The guy have not lowered the rollers into the floor. So the car would be very tilted forward.
Would that effevt the carb in abad way???
I belive so cause the float levels would be very off.
What do you guys think???

Agree that tilted forward will effect the carb. A tilt back would at least be similar to the effects of acceleration. Floats are fairly centered and should not be too much effected but the fuel levels relative to the emulsion holes, etc will be - and this will effect the fuel curve. Likewise the fuel level above the front jets will be lower. Not ideal for a baseline.

To the OP: Useful - yes. Degree of usefull depends on planning the test sessions. It's usually a lot more $ than going to the track, but it lets you focus on tuning. So I think its a good start if you can afford it.

Bring jets, secondary springs if relevant, etcs. Inertia only dyno is really best for tuning WOT in 3rd or 4th gear. My preference now is to take a two runs and then disconnect the secondaries and jet in the primaries. Then add in the secondaries. Possibe detours include adjusting the timing and adjusting bleeds.

On the ride back home, be prepared for the possiblilty that the primary jets are too lean during steady highway cruising - the engine will surge as it comes off the transistion (somewhere around 3000 rpm). For this reason, I now tend to err on the side of rich when on the dyno.

In my experience, having the Innovate WBO2 will provide a quicker and more detailed response curve for AFR. Tailpipe sniffer is OK, but the bungs are nice for street and strip use. However it is almost a requirement to also have rpm recorded. With a typical dynojet WBO2, expand the vertical scale so AFR from 12:1 to 14:1 takes up at least half the screen. With AFR I'm looking for a flat stabile line and the AFR number is mostly a reference point to best overall torque and HP curves. As you can see in the above image, at least with dynojet - sometimes its easier to read using the MPH vs. HP. Ask for a copy of the files and software reader.

Here's an Innovate data overlay showing that the primaries providing a flat AFR curve but the secondary side is not. Dynojet data shows the same thing. I'll try to attach.

Last edited by Mattax; 05/25/13 09:36 AM.
Re: Who has used a chassis dyno and did it help your tune? [Re: Mattax] #1440594
05/26/13 12:41 AM
05/26/13 12:41 AM
Sydney,Australia
tex013 Offline
top fuel
tex013  Offline
top fuel

Sydney,Australia
I use my engine shops chassis dyno often.
It is extremely useful for comparison use . I dont get goo wound up over actual rwhp shown . I look at afr to get in the ballpark . Comparison on changes , gain or loss .
Best use is repeatability right in front of you . You can do jetting and timing loops quickly and easier.

Tex

New best ET 10.259@129.65 .
New best MPH 130.32
Finally fitted a solid cam,
stepped it up a bit more
3690lbs through the mufflers
New World block 3780lbs 10.278@130.80 . Wowser 10.253@130.24 footbraking from 1500rpm
Power by Tex's Automotive
Re: Who has used a chassis dyno and did it help your tune? [Re: tex013] #1440595
05/26/13 01:39 AM
05/26/13 01:39 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Quote:

I use my engine shops chassis dyno often.
It is extremely useful for comparison use . I dont get goo wound up over actual rwhp shown . I look at afr to get in the ballpark . Comparison on changes , gain or loss .
Best use is repeatability right in front of you . You can do jetting and timing loops quickly and easier.

Tex

The drag strip is so packed anymore that you are lucky to get 3 or 4 runs in, and they are usually hours apart making it hard to see consistent back-to-back comparisons. On the chassis dyno, I can change jetting and timing several times in an hour, and at least have a known starting point on the tuning.
On the 500" stroked 400, i re-used the 950HP carb and jetted it richer for the larger engine just to be safe. Took the car to the chassis dyno, and ended up with about the same jetting the 451 was using. What the chassis dyno did not show was the carb wanted a bit more accelerator shot, so at the track, I changed the pump cam to the green one and it helped a slight stumble off the line.

Re: Who has used a chassis dyno and did it help your tune? [Re: BradH] #1440596
05/26/13 03:34 AM
05/26/13 03:34 AM
Flyover Country
340king Offline
340king  Offline

Flyover Country
I used a chassis dyno to well, tune the chassis on my circle track car. I really didn't even care about the engine output, as long as it wasn't rods! The usefulness of the tool is only limited by your preparation and ambition while on the dyno. I spent about a full day on the dyno sorting out different chassis changes.

I filmed them for the purpose of reviewing the chassis response to the changes. There is a lot to learn or that can be learned. Good luck if you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fn4_XhsTls

Re: Who has used a chassis dyno and did it help your tune? [Re: 340king] #1440597
05/26/13 08:11 AM
05/26/13 08:11 AM
sweden
S
sshemi Offline
top fuel
sshemi  Offline
top fuel
S

sweden
If i go i will try to find the best power with timing and to get a flat a/f curve.
Then change jets at the track for most mph.

Re: Who has used a chassis dyno and did it help your tune? [Re: sshemi] #1440598
05/26/13 03:11 PM
05/26/13 03:11 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

If i go i will try to find the best power with timing and to get a flat a/f curve.
Then change jets at the track for most mph.

Same here, along w/ possibly swapping carbs to see what differences result.

Page 2 of 2 1 2