05/06/13 03:49 PM
05/06/13 03:49 PM
Wisconsin
Mopar_Mudder Offline OP
enthusiast
Mopar_Mudder  Offline OP
enthusiast

Wisconsin
I was thinking yesterday about a way to make it harder for someone to take off with your ride. The thing in new vehicles is a push botton start that requires no key, just have to have the fob in your pocket the enable the car.

So has anyone seen something similar for a classic car?

I found this which is very close to what I am looking for Car Defender

Only thing I don't like is that it requires you to hold the FOB at a certain place to allow you to start the car, then only gives you 5 sec to start it.

Also so this but it requires you to plug in a cap type deal to start the car. web page

1971 Hemi Cuda 2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red. 12.771 @ 109.67<---TIME SLIP--Video
Re: Remote ignition kill for security [Re: Mopar_Mudder] #1431335
05/06/13 08:06 PM
05/06/13 08:06 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I was thinking yesterday about a way to make it harder for someone to take off with your ride.

What about a tried & true on/off switch to the coil neg to ECU wire? It'd crank but no start or to the yellow "ign" wire to the starter solenoid. It wouldn't crank. Depending on their skill level I think I'd rather have it crank & no start & the batt run down & hopefully they give up & go elsewhere rather than them searching for & fixing the cause of it not cranking. I like the idea of a plumbers ball valve in the fuel line mounted in the floorboard with the shutoff lever at your feet by the DR seat. IF they got it running they get a block & it'd die in the middle of the street & they'd pretty much have to panic & vacate. No info on the system you inquired about but here's a BTT for ya

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Remote ignition kill for security [Re: RapidRobert] #1431336
05/07/13 01:03 PM
05/07/13 01:03 PM
Wisconsin
Mopar_Mudder Offline OP
enthusiast
Mopar_Mudder  Offline OP
enthusiast

Wisconsin
Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking yesterday about a way to make it harder for someone to take off with your ride.

What about a tried & true on/off switch to the coil neg to ECU wire? It'd crank but no start or to the yellow "ign" wire to the starter solenoid. It wouldn't crank. Depending on their skill level I think I'd rather have it crank & no start & the batt run down & hopefully they give up & go elsewhere rather than them searching for & fixing the cause of it not cranking. I like the idea of a plumbers ball valve in the fuel line mounted in the floorboard with the shutoff lever at your feet by the DR seat. IF they got it running they get a block & it'd die in the middle of the street & they'd pretty much have to panic & vacate. No info on the system you inquired about but here's a BTT for ya

Only problem is that it relys on the user to activate it, that would be me

1971 Hemi Cuda 2005 SRT-10 Regular Cab Flame Red. 12.771 @ 109.67<---TIME SLIP--Video
Re: Remote ignition kill for security [Re: Mopar_Mudder] #1431337
05/07/13 01:08 PM
05/07/13 01:08 PM
Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
I bought one thru Summit. On their website look at the remote battery disconnects. I bought one of these to be able to have a disconnect and not have to walk behind the car to turn it off and on. Its a pretty smart way to go but if I had to do it again I think you can make it using a Ford starter solenoid.

...FAFO...
Re: Remote ignition kill for security [Re: RapidRobert] #1431338
05/07/13 05:42 PM
05/07/13 05:42 PM
Alberta
R
rustbuckett68 Offline
mopar
rustbuckett68  Offline
mopar
R

Alberta
Wire a relay into that circuit and put in a hidden switch. Could be an extra floor dimmer switch, rewired cruise stalk, any hidden switch. As for the fuel, pick up an electric fuel selector valve for dual tanks (think p/u, GM had them in many models) wired in as above. My old p/u would go about 1 1/2 blocks before dying.

Re: Remote ignition kill for security [Re: Mopar_Mudder] #1431339
05/08/13 02:43 PM
05/08/13 02:43 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
I've been using latching solenoids for decades and never had a problem. The car has no power and can't be hot wired. I put the battery in the trunk and the solenoid under the rear seat, side panel, etc... where access is difficult. One push of a hidden momentary SPST switch activates the system and the next push kills all power. I use 1/0 cable to the firewall with a bulkhead pass through. I also add a main fuse to kill battery power in case of a bad accident.

Latching Solenoid here

Re: Remote ignition kill for security [Re: Mopar_Mudder] #1431340
05/08/13 03:19 PM
05/08/13 03:19 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

So has anyone seen something similar for a classic car?

I found this which is very close to what I am looking for Car Defender

Only thing I don't like is that it requires you to hold the FOB at a certain place to allow you to start the car, then only gives you 5 sec to start it.

I'm using CarDefender. It has a Valet mode which leaves the circuit active continuously. Handy for when the car is in the garage locked up and you're tinkering with it. Box is fairly small and attached to a sheet metal plate. The sheet metal plate is attached to upper part of dash above glove box insert, so impossible to get to without removing glove box. Sensor is behind plastic dash insert ('72 RR). The circuit controlled is either coil negative or coil positive (I can't remember now - homebrewed wiring diagram is in garage). That was the easy part as my ECU, ballast, and VR are under-dash also.

Also have start disable switch and ECU power disable switch located elsewhere.