Crofton, Ky.
R
rattler Offline OP
super stock
rattler  Offline OP
super stock
R

Crofton, Ky.
I'm getting ready to put a bigger aluminum radiator in my 57 truck. My question is- I have a large trans cooler on it now that is not routed through the radiator. What are the pros and cons of running through the radiator + a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator? I think the cooler I have been running has been fine, but the radiator on it now did not have an internal cooler for the trans either. What are your thoughts?

1957 Dodge truck, Snakeskin Green with a little stroker motor. 1964 Plymouth Savoy wagon ( my new project)
Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: rattler] #1424547
04/24/13 08:25 AM
04/24/13 08:25 AM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
..isn't the "cooler" found inside a rad actually a heater for cold weather operation?
...necessary for winter operation.

Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: can.al] #1424548
04/24/13 09:07 AM
04/24/13 09:07 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

..isn't the "cooler" found inside a rad actually a heater for cold weather operation?

No it is a cooler. Don't try to run without it unless you have an external cooler installed. Transmissions have been lost because of this type of thinking. In fact OEM external coolers were routed through both.

Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: rattler] #1424549
04/24/13 09:21 AM
04/24/13 09:21 AM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
Quote:

I'm getting ready to put a bigger aluminum radiator in my 57 truck. My question is- I have a large trans cooler on it now that is not routed through the radiator. What are the pros and cons of running through the radiator + a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator? I think the cooler I have been running has been fine, but the radiator on it now did not have an internal cooler for the trans either. What are your thoughts?

You left out an important piece of information - what kind of torque converter? what's the stall speed? How much HP? Engine size? What transmission? What rearend?

First, the oil to water heat exchanger you find in a radiator does several things. The heat from the transmission can help warm up the engine a little bit faster, and the heat from the coolant can help warm up the transmission faster. In other words, it links them a little bit. That's great if you use the vehicle often, or you live in a cooler climate/do winter driving

If you're running a stock-ish, low stall converter, and you're not using the vehicle constantly, you probably don't need an aux cooler at all if you start using the radiator cooler. As was mentioned above, many factory cop cars have the exchanger and an aux air cooler - but that's because of the severe duty and added heat generation. Are you using your vehicle that way?

If you're running moderate power or more, or a higher stall speed, you might want to keep the aux cooler in the loop to deal with that. The fluid can get very hot, and a single trip through the exchanger may not be able to deal with it.

The problem with an aux cooler in a low performance/low duty environment is not using a thermostat. You can get a thermostat for an aux cooler - and this bypasses the cooler entirely when it senses the fluid temp is below optimal. I would suggest a thermostat in all cases for the aux cooler. You wouldn't run your engine on the street without a thermostat, since it keeps the engine out of the ideal temp zone - and that increases wear and reduces oil performance.

On my car, I'd go to the radiator, out, to the thermostatic aux cooler, and then to the trans return line. That should give you the best of all worlds

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: MoparforLife] #1424550
04/24/13 09:25 AM
04/24/13 09:25 AM
Carson City, NV
B
babarracuda Offline
pro stock
babarracuda  Offline
pro stock
B

Carson City, NV
I have a Morosso single pass 15" cooler and don't go through the radiator. I drove it from Carson City to Las Vegas at 60-70 MPH. The trans temp gauge never got above 190. Mostly around 180 except when zooming up a long grade. The fluid is still red. It ran 12.35 with 3.23's chnged to my tal tires and dove home,

7680524-ted.JPG (49 downloads)
Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: babarracuda] #1424551
04/24/13 11:39 AM
04/24/13 11:39 AM
Weatherford Texas
G
Greg Ducato Offline
Greg Ducato  Offline
G

Weatherford Texas
For the best possible cooling run through the radiator first, then the aux cooler then back to the trans. Trans fluid does a fine job of getting itself warmed up all by itself and the radiator will not contribute to that much. Water pulls a lot more heat than air does, especially when the cooler is located on the "cold" part of the radiator tank as most are.

Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: MoparforLife] #1424552
04/24/13 01:58 PM
04/24/13 01:58 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

No it is a cooler. Don't try to run without it unless you have an external cooler installed. Transmissions have been lost because of this type of thinking. In fact OEM external coolers were routed through both.

Me thinks he is correct, heater, not cooler, the oil to water trans cooler in the stock radiators is a heater for the transmissions, not a cooler per se I've ran a really loose(5600 flash stall) race converter on the street with a small external tranny cooler and the tranny temps never got above 180 F after driving it for 20 + minutes in slow traffic in the summer here I had my first tranny temp. gauge on my 1998 1/2 Ram 2500 CTD 24 valve Pickup, the trans . temps never got above 120 F in the summer or winter with the stock internal cooler and the stock added on external trailer towing package cooler when running empty in the Mojave desert It would run 160 to 200 F in the summer when towing my race car trailer, (24 Ft Pace Shadow, 8650 lbs on the axles) enclosed with the 3450 lb car in it Most ATF tranny fluids need to be operated at or above 160 F for some of the additives to work properly OP, use the in radaitor only option and see what the fluid color does

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1424553
04/24/13 02:05 PM
04/24/13 02:05 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
In the strictest sense, it does both. It helps bring it up to operating temp faster, and also to keep it there. That's why production cars use them - best longevity. Remember, the coolant temp at the bottom of the radiator should be low - below the temperature of the coolant thermostat.

Anyway, even though it's still relatively "hot", with a reduced delta T capability, as a liquid to liquid exchanger, it's still pretty efficient and WILL help keep the trans temperature in check if it gets high.

running an aux cooler when it's not necessary in ADDITION to looping in the radiator can keep the oil too cool, that adds friction - that's neither good for power nor longevity (and that's where the thermostatic valve comes in).

mopar cop cars often had aux coolers for both engine oil and trans, however they didn't use thermostatic controls on them, since they were run hard a lot of the time.. and no one expects them to go for 10 years anyway. (this is getting into restomod stuff, making something as good as it can possibly be)

If you only drive the car here and there, once in a while.. then a lot of this argument goes out the window and becomes "who cares." Your mileage may vary

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: VincentVega] #1424554
04/24/13 02:36 PM
04/24/13 02:36 PM
Crofton, Ky.
R
rattler Offline OP
super stock
rattler  Offline OP
super stock
R

Crofton, Ky.
Alright, to fill in some of the missing links. This setup is in my 57 Dodge truck. I am running a 512 stroker, 3500 converter going back to a 4:10 geared rear. I don't know what the truck weighs, I'm guessing at least 3600 lbs. Like I said in my original question. I am running a large external cooler now and you can easily hold your hand on it after running down the road at 3000 rpm for extended trips. So, it seems to be cooling pretty good. No, I don't have a trans temp gauge, probably should. My radiator on it now doesn't have provision for a cooler, this is why I haven'y used the radiator before. My new Champion radiator will have provisions for a trans cooler. I was just wondering about using it and the external cooler for maximum effect.

1957 Dodge truck, Snakeskin Green with a little stroker motor. 1964 Plymouth Savoy wagon ( my new project)
Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: rattler] #1424555
04/24/13 02:45 PM
04/24/13 02:45 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
that's a pretty beefy setup. Big engine, big load on the trans, a decent converter. If I were you, I'd do a standard rig - plum to radiator, then radiator to air cooler, then back to trans. I think you probably have enough heat in that trans to warrant a setup like that without needing to worry about a thermostat (although I'd still do it, personally)

the converter and shifting is what generates the majority of trans heat. going down the road at part throttle in final drive, over stall speed, there's not nearly as much slipping going on i.e. heat generation. it's the flash temperatures that hurt, and that basic test isn't going to show you that

definitely would put in a temp gauge

Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: VincentVega] #1424556
04/24/13 07:12 PM
04/24/13 07:12 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I mimicked the factory HD cooling package used in cop cars on my Diplomat. Which means both coolers for the trans. I figure the factory knew more about it that just about anyone else.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Trans cooler with radiator? [Re: Supercuda] #1424557
04/25/13 09:33 AM
04/25/13 09:33 AM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
While I generally agree that the factory engineers knew best, i.e. using the cooler in the rad, plumbed in with aux. cooler. . . .I can say from history (like 100,000 miles plus !!!), I have used just a aux cooler (no rad mounted unit) on my 1974 Duster360, factory 727, factory stall (approx. 2600rpm)with 2.45 gears, with no issues. I usually drive long distances for car show trips. And then just as daily driver around town . . . tranny fluid looks like new, and tranny shifts fine.

I would say you are ok to go with the set up you already have. . . . Somewhere in all the time and miles, I recall hearing that for every 10 Deg F. you drop tranny fluid temp, you DOUBLE the life of your tranny (is that true ???) . . .

Just my two cents . . .

Cheers

Mark