04/05/13 11:16 PM
04/05/13 11:16 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline OP
master
Exit1965  Offline OP
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I had to pull my heads due to bent valves caused by the dowel coming out of my cam and the pistons hitting them.

Anyway I noticed this after pulling the intake. One of the lifters has scratches around the outside of it. The scratch certainly isn't deep but I can feel it with my fingernail. It seems the scratch is below the level of where the lifter comes up into the bore-- or maybe right on the edge. None of the bent valves were on this side, so I don't think that caused this.

What would cause this? This lifter, and the others, move/spin freely in the bore. I checked this one even with the lifter at various 'lifts' and it will rotate.

Should I do anything? (other than remove the antifreeze from the galley)?

Re: scratches on side of hydraulic lifter.. [Re: Exit1965] #1415041
04/05/13 11:55 PM
04/05/13 11:55 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

I had to pull my heads due to bent valves caused by the dowel coming out of my cam and the pistons hitting them.

Anyway I noticed this after pulling the intake. One of the lifters has scratches around the outside of it. The scratch certainly isn't deep but I can feel it with my fingernail. It seems the scratch is below the level of where the lifter comes up into the bore-- or maybe right on the edge. None of the bent valves were on this side, so I don't think that caused this.

What would cause this? This lifter, and the others, move/spin freely in the bore. I checked this one even with the lifter at various 'lifts' and it will rotate.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, run it Look at the bottom of that lifter, if it shows a circular rotation your golden

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: scratches on side of hydraulic lifter.. [Re: Cab_Burge] #1415042
04/06/13 12:28 PM
04/06/13 12:28 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Don't sweat the petty stuff, run it Look at the bottom of that lifter, if it shows a circular rotation your golden

Seen way worse............Also; Jason Pettis used to grind a flat section on my flat tappets about .125 wide from top to bottom for extra oiling............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....