Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
alright I missed that your ran the alt directly to the starter relay. I was thinking that you just (only) did Nacho's bulkhead bypass so yes what you have circled is less critical than it would have been but I'd sure try to move the loom down so I could solder it & if not make the crimps TIGHT

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: RapidRobert] #1414528
04/05/13 08:14 PM
04/05/13 08:14 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

alright I missed that your ran the alt directly to the starter relay. I was thinking that you just (only) did Nacho's bulkhead bypass so yes what you have circled is less critical than it would have been but I'd sure try to move the loom down so I could solder it & if not make the crimps TIGHT

Instead of splicing them with butt connectors, would it be better to just install male and female connectors and use the bulkhead connector to join them?? Or is the butt connector a better joint???

Thanks for all you help. Electrical work is kinda foreign to me. So, I really appreciate your input.

Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: mopowers] #1414529
04/05/13 09:35 PM
04/05/13 09:35 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I think it'd be pretty close especially with some new fresh brass terminals crimped/soldered; NAPA 725145 female and 725147 male and in addition with them crimped the right amount so they fit together TO EACH OTHER tight along with some dielectric grease & they would give you ease of dissassembly if ever needed but I'd still prefer a good soldered joint either 2 wires together or both wires crimped/soldered to each end of a butt connector

Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: RapidRobert] #1414530
04/08/13 08:45 AM
04/08/13 08:45 AM
Palmyra, NY
63stabamatic Offline
enthusiast
63stabamatic  Offline
enthusiast

Palmyra, NY
I have seen too many crimp butt connectors fail due to corrosion in outside radio installations. I either solder the butts or just twist the wires together, solder and shrink wrap. The "J" hook has a very small surface area of connection so never use that. Believe it or not wire nuts work great if it's out of sight. FWIW on outside connections like tail-lights etc. we have used for years Scotch 23, self vulcanizing tape, covered with Scotch 33. Ultraviolet light attacks the Scotch 23. Works great on communications antennas on towers or underground.

Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: 63stabamatic] #1414531
04/08/13 12:31 PM
04/08/13 12:31 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Since I couldn't get comfortable under the dash with my soldering iron, I just used un-insulated butt connectors with some di-electric grease and a good crimper. Then I gave them a wrap of electrical tape followed up by some heat shrink. Since it's up under the dash, I think the should fine. If they fail, the fusible link should it's job.

Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: mopowers] #1414532
04/08/13 12:34 PM
04/08/13 12:34 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Yes you should be fine but the fusible link comment opens another can of worms goggle it read about the downsides

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: jcc] #1414533
04/08/13 12:45 PM
04/08/13 12:45 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

Yes you should be fine but the fusible link comment opens another can of worms goggle it read about the downsides

Yeah, I know they aren't the most popular things in the world, but it's what I had laying around. Would I be better off installing inline fuses? If so, what amp rating would I need. I basically wired the ammeter bypass just as the MAD article suggested.

Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: mopowers] #1414534
04/08/13 01:56 PM
04/08/13 01:56 PM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
Didn't the factory just use crimped connections? The only soldered connectin I know of is in the main harness under the hood.
This is all I've ever used, and have had no issues. Just need to weather-proof anything exposed to the elements.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: bboogieart] #1414535
04/09/13 10:19 AM
04/09/13 10:19 AM
Charleston, SC
B
bronco9588 Offline
bronco9588  Offline
B

Charleston, SC
Just an FYI, dielectric grease does NOT conduct electricity, nor should you ever use a grease that conducts electricity in an automotive application. I would recommend that you look into using flux instead of dialectic grease for your connections. I am sure the dialectic may perform like a flux but a flux is more in line with what you are doing.

'73 Charger Petty Blue, Black Vinyl, and Gill Slits 727 torque-flight 400 BB Chrysler 8 3/4 rear
Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: bronco9588] #1414536
04/09/13 10:38 AM
04/09/13 10:38 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
do you mean an additional special flux for the solder during the soldering process or something special to put on the soldered connection when you're done soldering before you tape/shrink wrap it or do you mean a special flux to put on the brass terminals' interface before you push em together

Last edited by RapidRobert; 04/09/13 10:44 AM.

Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: bronco9588] #1414537
04/09/13 10:39 AM
04/09/13 10:39 AM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

Just an FYI, dielectric grease does NOT conduct electricity, nor should you ever use a grease that conducts electricity in an automotive application. I would recommend that you look into using flux instead of dialectic grease for your connections. I am sure the dialectic may perform like a flux but a flux is more in line with what you are doing.

It does help prevent corrosion though, right? That's the reason I use it. I only use flux when I solder. Is this completely wrong? It's just how I was taught.

Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: mopowers] #1414538
04/09/13 10:45 AM
04/09/13 10:45 AM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Quote:

What's the best way to splice two wires together?? Do you guys prefer to use bare butt splice connectors, then solder them, and insulate with a wrap of electrical tape and some heat shrink?

Or is it better to just twist the stripped wires together and solder them WITHOUT using a butt splice connector, and give them a wrap of tape and some heat shrink???

My rule of thumb is to never splice anything larger than 14 gauge. If it is 12 gauge or larger, I rewire from end to end. For stuff 14 to 18 I solder and wrap. Smaller than that, butt splice, solder, whatever is handy.
I came up in the two way radio world. Two things you never ever spliced: The A lead to the battery (usually 8 to 10 gauge) and coax cable.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: mopowers] #1414539
04/09/13 11:51 AM
04/09/13 11:51 AM
Charleston, SC
B
bronco9588 Offline
bronco9588  Offline
B

Charleston, SC
Dielectric grease is great for connections that don't have solder (i.e. a pin to pin connection that is just metal to metal.) From what it sounded like, you were planning on greasing up a pair of wires and then soldering. The purpose of flux is to prevent oxidization of the wires while they are heated yet not covered by solder yet. Corrosion increases at hot temperatures and will prevent good flow of solder. I like what the avionics guy mentioned about cleaning the connection. Properly heat shrinking a (clean) connection prevents future water and atmosphere exposure. The junction should not corrode any longer; application of dialectic grease is unnecessary at a soldered junction.

On an aside, but related to the conversation, I solidly prescribe to the butt connection, solder, and shrink wrap methodology. Defiantly get the klein 1005 tool. From my understanding in aviation, they rarely if ever solder a connection for fatigue purposes. With that being said, they are using several hundred dollar crimping tools that can get the perfect pressure. I would rather suffer from fatigue (inside of heat wrap) several thousands of miles down the road than suffer from an improper crimp parting 2 miles down the road. A really good crimp should have a pull test and then a soldering.

As far as a soldered joint heating up causing the solder to melt... the wire insulation would melt before the solder would ever melt. If a junction/ terminal is doing this, it was improperly designed or created (with or without solder). I am not buying what is being sold. Whilst I am not a wire engineer, I think you will find that the solder decreases the locations resistance as current carrying material fills in all the voids. It will also increase the tensile strength of the junction.

Fatigue issues can be mitigated by proper support of the wire...

If for any reason you want to discuss these concepts, I would talk to Mark at MAD Electrical. The guy can talk your ear off about the smallest details.

'73 Charger Petty Blue, Black Vinyl, and Gill Slits 727 torque-flight 400 BB Chrysler 8 3/4 rear
Re: Splicing Wires??? [Re: bronco9588] #1414540
04/09/13 12:12 PM
04/09/13 12:12 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline OP
master
mopowers  Offline OP
master
M

Sac, CA
Quote:

Dielectric grease is great for connections that don't have solder (i.e. a pin to pin connection that is just metal to metal.) From what it sounded like, you were planning on greasing up a pair of wires and then soldering. The purpose of flux is to prevent oxidization of the wires while they are heated yet not covered by solder yet. Corrosion increases at hot temperatures and will prevent good flow of solder. I like what the avionics guy mentioned about cleaning the connection. Properly heat shrinking a (clean) connection prevents future water and atmosphere exposure. The junction should not corrode any longer; application of dialectic grease is unnecessary at a soldered junction.

On an aside, but related to the conversation, I solidly prescribe to the butt connection, solder, and shrink wrap methodology. Defiantly get the klein 1005 tool. From my understanding in aviation, they rarely if ever solder a connection for fatigue purposes. With that being said, they are using several hundred dollar crimping tools that can get the perfect pressure. I would rather suffer from fatigue (inside of heat wrap) several thousands of miles down the road than suffer from an improper crimp parting 2 miles down the road. A really good crimp should have a pull test and then a soldering.

As far as a soldered joint heating up causing the solder to melt... the wire insulation would melt before the solder would ever melt. If a junction/ terminal is doing this, it was improperly designed or created (with or without solder). I am not buying what is being sold. Whilst I am not a wire engineer, I think you will find that the solder decreases the locations resistance as current carrying material fills in all the voids. It will also increase the tensile strength of the junction.

Fatigue issues can be mitigated by proper support of the wire...

If for any reason you want to discuss these concepts, I would talk to Mark at MAD Electrical. The guy can talk your ear off about the smallest details.

I was able to solder all of the connections except for the 2 under the dash. For those, I just crimped, put a wrap of electrical tape and dielectric grease on it, then heat shrink. I think I'll be fine. Thanks for the input though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2