03/20/13 11:40 PM
03/20/13 11:40 PM
Rhode Island
B
browndevil Offline OP
browndevil  Offline OP
B

Rhode Island
I need to remove the quarter window glass from the stainless strip in front and the metal track on the bottom so I can put a new piece of glass in (better than the one I have but it is the glass only). The car is a 70 Challenger. How can I remove these parts or are they not removable? Thanks for any help.

Michael

Re: Challenger quarter window replacement [Re: browndevil] #1405715
03/21/13 06:42 PM
03/21/13 06:42 PM
michigan
440whiteboy Offline
super stock
440whiteboy  Offline
super stock

michigan
Not sure if the chrome trim will come off the glass?
( if so - by pulling - you may re-glue the new one on )

They only see Stars...
when hit by a Mopar!
Re: Challenger quarter window replacement [Re: browndevil] #1405716
03/22/13 09:15 AM
03/22/13 09:15 AM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Yes they will come off. I removed mine carefully, using a razor blade to cut down into the rubber and IIRC I may have used some solvent as well to try and loosen any adhesive. You need to take your time but it is not difficult, just be patient and do it bit by bit.

I'm not sure these were actually glued in any way from the factory, I'd love for someone to confirm or otherwise. I think they just used "glass setting tape" (do a search) which is actually a flat rubber strip. The rubber goes into the channel and then the glass is pressed in, compressing the rubber on the sides and thus holding the glass in place. This applies to both channels (bottom and stainless side). then the excess rubber is trimmed off. The friction along both edges is enough to keep the glass secure.

That's my best understanding from the little I'm been able to find on this. Even if the factory didn't use adhesive I don't see why it couldn't be used as well if there were any concerns.

You can get the setting tape in various thicknesses and I don't know what the original stuff was - that would be good to know. It is available generically in many places but IIRC I did see one of the Mopar vendors doing it - they should at least know the right thickness.
I think in assembling it you would use some soapy water to assist.
Again I have not yet reassembled mine so I would also value any other input/guidance.