03/08/13 02:40 AM
03/08/13 02:40 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.

EDIT ... It would appear that the in between goldmembers fits of and that the Summit ad is misprinted , they must be ASSuMEing that the flat tappet hyd. lifters are the same as the flat tappet solids.

Summit shows the same picture of a lifter with a flat ground on the side as on the Howard site but for some reason did not copy the text from the Howard's site ?

Quote:

Direct Lube™ Hydraulic Lifters

Designed for today’s more aggressive lobes. Increases oil supply to the cam lobes is critical. These lifters provide a constant oil supply to the cam lobe, more aggressive profiles and reduced lobe wear. Perfect for daily driven aggressive Street Machines, Street/Strip or hydraulic race applications. Sets of 16. Made in the USA.

91116 Chevrolet V8 265-454

It's easier to get a point across when one doesn't act like a 5 yr old ...

Last edited by JohnRR; 03/08/13 02:48 AM.
Re: Goldmember - follow this link [Re: goldmember] #1397131
03/08/13 02:49 AM
03/08/13 02:49 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I ordered a flat tappet cam today,no nitride,no oiling lifters . 160lbs seat 20lbs boost no worries. I'll let everyone know if it goes flat Back to the hyd crap,its not worth worrying about unless you buy crap parts or just unlucky.

Hopefully you didn't order something off the shelf from Comp because the last one I had only lasted 6 mins before it started going south

Re: Goldmember - follow this link [Re: JohnRR] #1397132
03/08/13 02:50 AM
03/08/13 02:50 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

EDIT ... It would appear that the in between goldmembers fits of and that the Summit ad is misprinted , they must be ASSuMEing that the hyb. lifters are the same as the flat tappet solids.

Summit shows the same picture of a lifter with a flat ground on the side as on the Howard site but for some reason did not copy the text from the Howard's site ?

Quote:

Designed for today’s more aggressive lobes. Increases oil supply to the cam lobes is critical. These lifters provide a constant oil supply to the cam lobe, more aggressive profiles and reduced lobe wear. Perfect for daily driven aggressive Street Machines, Street/Strip or hydraulic race applications. Sets of 16. Made in the USA.

I'm not sure what this post has to do with a camshaft design but yes I have close friends in the cam design occupation. Doesn't make me a cam designer,I just call with my ideas and we bounce that crap around until we agree.

Re: Goldmember - follow this link [Re: JohnRR] #1397133
03/08/13 02:51 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

EDIT ... It would appear that the in between goldmembers fits of and that the Summit ad is misprinted , they must be ASSuMEing that the flat tappet hyd. lifters are the same as the flat tappet solids.

Quote:

No clue on that one.

Re: Any one sell EDM Hydraulic lifters for Mopar? [Re: nomore65BelvJim] #1397134
Western Washington
Sixgun Offline
top fuel
Sixgun  Offline
top fuel

Western Washington
You are surely welcome, BelvyJim!

I'm 55 now, no time to waste. Not a week goes by that I don't hear about someone passing on.Let's get out there,smoke some tires,have a beer with a good friend,do what you have always wanted to do.I am pretty sure no one will ever say on their deathbed "gee I'm glad my life was calm and boring"
Re: Goldmember - follow this link [Re: JohnRR] #1397135
03/08/13 02:54 AM
03/08/13 02:54 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

Quote:

I ordered a flat tappet cam today,no nitride,no oiling lifters . 160lbs seat 20lbs boost no worries. I'll let everyone know if it goes flat Back to the hyd crap,its not worth worrying about unless you buy crap parts or just unlucky.

Hopefully you didn't order something off the shelf from Comp because the last one I had only lasted 6 mins before it started going south

I'm not sure why you'd think I'd use comp for more than a john to pinch a loaf while driving to another cam grinder,but I'm not shocked by your results. Shelf grind? Whats that? Yep,30yrs ago was the last shelf comp cam,I guess even then the magazine adds were a big draw and I lived a few miles from them. Thanks for your concern.

Last edited by goldmember; 03/08/13 03:06 AM.
Re: Goldmember - follow this link [Re: goldmember] #1397136
03/08/13 05:06 AM
03/08/13 05:06 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I have been lucky as I have never wiped a cam lobe. But with this oil we have now I started to worry a little when I built my 493. I went with a custom grind from Dwayne Porter who I consider one of the best head and cam guys out there. He recomended we nitride the cam which I did and that we go with the EDM solid lifters which I did. I also added a bottle of the ZDDP additive and use Valvoline racing oil which has a high content of ZDDP. And I left the inner springs off to break in the cam which is the first time I had ever done that. Everything has worked very good as after the cam broke in I reinstalled the inner springs which have 150 seat pressure closed. Nitriding the cam just seemed to make sense and made me worry less about wiping my first ever cam lobe which I have not had happen yet and if Dwayne Porter recomended it I felt it was worth it. Just thought I would let some know how my last cam break in went. Thats was in June 2011 when I put the eng in the car and it has run fine since then. Of course we all will have different ideas at times but thats why I like to listen to everyone as sometime you pick up and idea and think to yourself.......heck that might be a better idea then the way I do it. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 03/08/13 05:10 AM.
Re: ??????? [Re: 383man] #1397137
03/08/13 12:50 PM
03/08/13 12:50 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

The only cam company nitriding cams to my knowledge is Comp. When Porter or Brown have a cam custom ground for you, where do you think they get it? A place that has a lot of lobe profiles with which they're comfortable. Like Comp. Or Crane. Maybe Bullet or a few others. But Comp will grind you a custom cam for only a few dollars more than a shelf grind.
As to quality, the cam core determines the quality and none of the cam companies manufacture their own cores, as far as I know. So to slam a particular company because you had a ""bad lobe' is ignorant. Now if the lobes weren't the right ones, or were inaccurate, or some other deficit of the grinding process, then yes.

R.

Re: Goldmember - follow this link [Re: goldmember] #1397138
03/08/13 03:40 PM
03/08/13 03:40 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure why you'd think I'd use comp for more than a john to pinch a loaf while driving to another cam grinder,but I'm not shocked by your results. Shelf grind? Whats that? Yep,30yrs ago was the last shelf comp cam,I guess even then the magazine adds were a big draw and I lived a few miles from them. Thanks for your concern.

I don't know what you ordered for a cam but I was just giving a heads up to anyone still interested in this thread even after you dragged it down to your level ...

Just for the information of the board shelf stock at Comp is not even ground by Comp anymore, I'm told it's done by an outside firm, Engine Machine ... something like that ..., so the quality is not anywhere as good as what Comp used to be it would appear ... unfortunately.

Comp did warranty the cam and lifters and I had Dwayne Porter do a custom grind and had it nitrided, like should have been done in the first place but the person the engine was being built for wanted to save some bucks, we used the Crower cam saver lifters and all is fine this time around.

Re: ??????? [Re: dogdays] #1397139
03/08/13 07:31 PM
03/08/13 07:31 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

The only cam company nitriding cams to my knowledge is Comp. When Porter or Brown have a cam custom ground for you, where do you think they get it? A place that has a lot of lobe profiles with which they're comfortable. Like Comp. Or Crane. Maybe Bullet or a few others. But Comp will grind you a custom cam for only a few dollars more than a shelf grind.
As to quality, the cam core determines the quality and none of the cam companies manufacture their own cores, as far as I know. So to slam a particular company because you had a ""bad lobe' is ignorant. Now if the lobes weren't the right ones, or were inaccurate, or some other deficit of the grinding process, then yes.

R.

Yes Dwayne Porter told me comp will grind the specs he gives them. I believe he deals with one guy at comp who I assume is a good friend. Also my EDM solids came in a Comp box and the cam card is from Comp with my name as the grind #. But Dwayne does give them the specs he wants done. And the price was very good. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 03/08/13 07:32 PM.
Re: Goldmember - follow this link [Re: JohnRR] #1397140
07/28/13 03:28 AM
07/28/13 03:28 AM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know what you ordered for a cam but I was just giving a heads up to anyone still interested in this thread even after you dragged it down to your level ...

Just for the information of the board shelf stock at Comp is not even ground by Comp anymore, I'm told it's done by an outside firm, Engine Machine ... something like that ..., so the quality is not anywhere as good as what Comp used to be it would appear ... unfortunately.

Comp did warranty the cam and lifters and I had Dwayne Porter do a custom grind and had it nitrided, like should have been done in the first place but the person the engine was being built for wanted to save some bucks, we used the Crower cam saver lifters and all is fine this time around.
"Yep,Comp doesn't grind the shelf stuff,thats no suprise. Sorry I didn't give a heads up years ago. LOL
Sorry I didn't follow this informative thread. hope everyone is having good luck with all those cams. "

Last edited by goldmember; 07/28/13 03:31 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3