02/28/13 08:43 PM
02/28/13 08:43 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
found the receipt to the engine rebuild the car underwent - i am not familiar with rebuilding an engine - does this build match the original build? - what will the performance be like? thanks

• From September 2008 to April 2009 the original Hemi block was rebuilt by TONY DEPILLO of Dayton OH, as follows:
o Hot tank and boil out block
o 60 over bore and hone
o Custom arias 10.5 pistons and pins
o Recondition and balance rods
o SPS bolts
o Stock crank, balanced and cross-drilled
o 60 off deck surface
o NOS 1970 cam, from 1972
’70 specifications – hydraulic
Lunati cam – Street Hemi 1970 R.L.
111 degrees C.L.
Intake Exhaust
Lift 471 474
Duration 342 348

o Stock hydraulic lifters
o Custom push rods (3/8”)
o Complete head and valve job to unleaded gas
o Double roller chain
o 6qt pan and pick up with windage tray
o New oil pump – high volume
o stall torque converter 2,800

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: edl] #1395203
02/28/13 10:12 PM
02/28/13 10:12 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

found the receipt to the engine rebuild the car underwent - i am not familiar with rebuilding an engine - does this build match the original build? - what will the performance be like? thanks

• From September 2008 to April 2009 the original Hemi block was rebuilt by TONY DEPILLO of Dayton OH, as follows:
o Hot tank and boil out block
o 60 over bore and hone
o Custom arias 10.5 pistons and pins
o Recondition and balance rods
o SPS bolts
o Stock crank, balanced and cross-drilled
o 60 off deck surface
o NOS 1970 cam, from 1972
’70 specifications – hydraulic
Lunati cam – Street Hemi 1970 R.L.
111 degrees C.L.
Intake Exhaust
Lift 471 474
Duration 342 348

o Stock hydraulic lifters
o Custom push rods (3/8”)
o Complete head and valve job to unleaded gas
o Double roller chain
o 6qt pan and pick up with windage tray
o New oil pump – high volume
o stall torque converter 2,800

No , the original build would have had a solid lifter cam. It's bored out a lot , next time it will need a sonic check , may need sleeves ? .060 off the deck is a lot ... to me ... , something else was machined , I ASSuME , to get the intake to fit ...

2800 stall is over stock , again I ASSuME

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: JohnRR] #1395204
02/28/13 10:55 PM
02/28/13 10:55 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
thx John

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: edl] #1395205
02/28/13 11:03 PM
02/28/13 11:03 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
You would have to do some measurements and calculations to find out your true compression ratio.
Oil pan is incorrect most likely? Camshaft might have more duration than stock.
Sorry but too many unmeasured items to know what exactly you have.
I would guess though even with all these variables that it will run within 2/10 of a stocker but that depends on the tuneup and how efficient that 2800 convertor is.
Just run it at the track to see what it will do.

Sheldon

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: edl] #1395206
02/28/13 11:22 PM
02/28/13 11:22 PM
N.E.Ohio
P
pacifica Offline
mopar
pacifica  Offline
mopar
P

N.E.Ohio
With the info given it will idle nice/smooth and run great similar to a stock type build. If you are curious about 1/4 mile times, 13.20-13.50's is likely

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: pacifica] #1395207
03/01/13 11:25 AM
03/01/13 11:25 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Anyone else a little put off by the cross drilling? Not usually typical of Mopar builders. Not a big deal, but usually people run fully grooved main bearings in MoPars to achieve full time oiling to the rods.

I will claim ignorance in that I've spent very little time wrenching on 426 Hemis, and never have been in the bottom end of one, but I don't believe they ever came with cross drilled cranks, just heat treated/ hardened. This just has me wondering. Anyone?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: GTX MATT] #1395208
03/01/13 11:42 AM
03/01/13 11:42 AM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline
pro stock
Lee446  Offline
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
The biggest concern I have is compression ratio. Hopefully the custom pistons were made with the .060 deck cut and overbore calculated in, otherwise there may be issues with pump gas. I know Hemi's are more detonation resistant than wedges, but this one could be pushing the envelope for 93 octane and iron heads. Other than that, It sounds like a nice mild street build.

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: Lee446] #1395209
03/01/13 01:37 PM
03/01/13 01:37 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

First of all, congratulations. It sounds like a nice Street Hemi. It should run like a stocker, which isn't too bad. And when you open the hood, WOW! Wall-to-wall engine. It'll get attention.

There's no way to know its octane requirements, but based on the cam selection I would hope it'll run on Premium unleaded gas. There's always race gas and E85 to move up to, but I don't think it'll be necessary.

R.

I thought that name sounded familiar.
http://www.pro-system.com/depilloshow.html

The original Honkin' Hemi, 1st SS/B in the 8's Natl' Record Holder at Bowling Green Ky.

He's on Facebook and LinkedIn, why don't you ask the man himself?

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1395210
03/01/13 04:21 PM
03/01/13 04:21 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Quote:

You would have to do some measurements and calculations to find out your true compression ratio.
I would guess though even with all these variables that it will run within 2/10 of a stocker but that depends on the tuneup and how efficient that 2800 convertor is.

Sheldon

Thanks Sheldon - please forgive my ignorance...but when you say more duration...what exactly does duration do in terms of affecting performance of an engine

Not that it is relevant to this rebuild, but in the papers that came with the car is a receipt from the 1986 Mopar Nationals at National Trail Raceway where the car ran a best of 12.241 at 110.70mph

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: edl] #1395211
03/01/13 04:24 PM
03/01/13 04:24 PM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

Sheldon

Thanks Sheldon - please forgive my ignorance...but when you say more duration...what exactly does duration do in terms of affecting performance of an engine

Not that it is relevant to this rebuild, but in the papers that came with the car is a receipt from the 1986 Mopar Nationals at National Trail Raceway where the car ran a best of 12.241 at 110.70mph

The engine was rebuilt at least once 22yrs after that , do you know what the specs of the engine were in 1986 ?

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: pacifica] #1395212
03/01/13 04:25 PM
03/01/13 04:25 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Quote:

With the info given it will idle nice/smooth and run great similar to a stock type build. If you are curious about 1/4 mile times, 13.20-13.50's is likely

thanks Pacifica - i guess you are all correct...i will have to go the track and see what this engine can do - as per an earlier posting, once in its life it ran a 12.241...but that was an engine rebuild ago (or more?)...

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: JohnRR] #1395213
03/01/13 04:27 PM
03/01/13 04:27 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sheldon

The engine was rebuilt at least once 22yrs after that , do you know what the specs of the engine were in 1986 ?

John - I'll try to find out - the guy that sold the car to me owned it since 1980, so he should know...

7608714-472.JPG (198 downloads)
Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: GTX MATT] #1395214
03/01/13 04:41 PM
03/01/13 04:41 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Quote:

Anyone else a little put off by the cross drilling? Not usually typical of Mopar builders. Not a big deal, but usually people run fully grooved main bearings in MoPars to achieve full time oiling to the rods.

I will claim ignorance in that I've spent very little time wrenching on 426 Hemis, and never have been in the bottom end of one, but I don't believe they ever came with cross drilled cranks, just heat treated/ hardened. This just has me wondering. Anyone?

thanks GTX Matt - another ignorant question: what exactly does cross drilling the crank do?

7608724-472.JPG (194 downloads)
Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: Lee446] #1395215
03/01/13 04:43 PM
03/01/13 04:43 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Quote:

The biggest concern I have is compression ratio. Hopefully the custom pistons were made with the .060 deck cut and overbore calculated in, otherwise there may be issues with pump gas. I know Hemi's are more detonation resistant than wedges, but this one could be pushing the envelope for 93 octane and iron heads. Other than that, It sounds like a nice mild street build.

Lee - I would like to think that it all hangs together because it was all rebuilt at the same time by the same guy - the new engine only has a few hundred miles on it, so i still need to break it in

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: dogdays] #1395216
03/01/13 04:44 PM
03/01/13 04:44 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Quote:

First of all, congratulations. It sounds like a nice Street Hemi. It should run like a stocker, which isn't too bad. And when you open the hood, WOW! Wall-to-wall engine. It'll get attention.

There's no way to know its octane requirements, but based on the cam selection I would hope it'll run on Premium unleaded gas. There's always race gas and E85 to move up to, but I don't think it'll be necessary.

R.

The original Honkin' Hemi, 1st SS/B in the 8's Natl' Record Holder at Bowling Green Ky.

dog days - that's the guy! - i wonder if he will remember...only one way to find out

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: dogdays] #1395217
03/01/13 04:53 PM
03/01/13 04:53 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Quote:

R.

when you say "but based on the cam selection I would hope it'll run on Premium unleaded gas" what about the cam specs let you know that? - said differently, can you give a little Cam 101?

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: edl] #1395218
03/01/13 05:54 PM
03/01/13 05:54 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

thanks GTX Matt - another ignorant question: what exactly does cross drilling the crank do?

Not ignorant at all - what I've been told is that its better to use fully groove main bearings rather than cross drilling the crank.

Oil pressure gets to the rod bearings via the main bearings. There is a groove (on 1/2 groove bearings, which is what is standard in pretty much everything) in the upper half of the bearing shell. There is a hole in the main jorunals of the crank with a passage way that feeds to the rod journals to supply them with pressure. Because this hole only enters one half of the main journal, there is only pressure fed to the rods for 180 degrees of each revolution, which has proven to be more than adequate in most engines which aren't beaten and revved above 6000 or so RPM very often.

To provide full time oiling to the rod bearings there are two common methods: The first is to cross drill the crank (drill the hole from the other side, or all the way through) so that the passage way feeding oil from the mains to the rod journals will always be in contact with the main bearing groove (because the holes are 180 degrees apart and 180 degrees of the bearing is grooved). The second method is to use a fully grooved main bearing so that both halves have a groove.

The downside to cross drilling is that it apparently weakens the crank. From what I've been told, it weakens it enough to matter so it is better to run the fully grooved bearings. The fully grooved bearings require a high volume oil pump to adequate oil pressure though, but typically you run an HV pump on a race engine anyway.

I've just not heard of many cross drilled MoPar cranks. Chevrolet used to cross drill their high revving stuff from the factory, so in the Chevrolet ranks its more common I believe.

Believe it or not, wisdom now is shifting to the fact that neither are necessary, and that 180 degree oiling is more than adequate.

I wouldn't worry though, I would trust your engine builder more than what I've been told and read. After seeing who your engine builder is I would have full confidence in his build.

And your engine looks kind of like a cheater-stock build. Its got just enough extra in enough areas that if tuned correctly it will run really strong but will pass for stock Hemi. A truly stock 426 shouldn't be able to hang with it tough.

I know of too many trailer queen Hemi cars that are real dogs too, so its nice to see one that looks like it can actually hang a low to mid 13 second time like a stock Hemi should be able to.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 03/01/13 05:59 PM.

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: GTX MATT] #1395219
03/01/13 06:09 PM
03/01/13 06:09 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
Great info - thanks GTX Matt!

i suspect that is just what the owner wanted ... a cheater-stock build with just enough extra in enough areas that if tuned correctly it will run really strong but will pass for stock Hemi.

i'll be touching base with him to understand the build in '86 when it ran in the 12's...

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: edl] #1395220
03/01/13 06:21 PM
03/01/13 06:21 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Great info - thanks GTX Matt!

i suspect that is just what the owner wanted ... a cheater-stock build with just enough extra in enough areas that if tuned correctly it will run really strong but will pass for stock Hemi.

i'll be touching base with him to understand the build in '86 when it ran in the 12's...

Actually with that 2800 and sticky tires, I wouldn't be surprised if it could run deeper into the 12s 4.10s, and maybe a set of headers. It could be an overall pretty well blue printed engine. I'm actually pretty interested to see how it runs. Maybe that low 12 second time slip wasn't too far off from what you've got. Make sure you let us know how she runs. I love 66 Hemi B bodies, is it a Plymouth?

The above post referencing cam duration and octane basically means: Longer duration cams bleed more cylinder pressure. When the piston is on its way up on the compression stroke the intake valve remains open. Longer duration cams which produce higher horsepower numbers hold the valve open longer on the compression stroke. Because the intake charge has intertia it continues to fill the cylinder even though the piston is traveling upwards.

Long duration cams are designed to maximize this ability to fill at higher rpms. At lower rpms they tend to just bleed cylinder pressure because the incoming air charge doesn't have enough inertia to continue filling the cylinder. This is a big part of the reason that big cams produce a radical idle and poor low speed characteristics (but not the only reason, another big reason is the overlap or the time that both the intake and exhaust valve are open at the beginning of the intake stroke).

Anyway, this lowered cylinder pressure helps to fight off detonation, because it makes the engines effective compression ratio (also known as the dynamic ratio) lower.

The typical compression ratio you see measured and advertised is called the static compression ratio.

To take this example to an extreme: Imagine there was no intake valve. The engine would never detonate because the piston would never compress anything because the cylinder would never seal. Even if you had a measured 15:1 static compression ratio, the dynamic compression ratio would be 0. Obviously this engine wouldn't run, but you get the point.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 03/01/13 06:31 PM.

Re: 66 Hemi - Engine rebuild [Re: GTX MATT] #1395221
03/01/13 06:26 PM
03/01/13 06:26 PM
Northeast
edl Offline OP
enthusiast
edl  Offline OP
enthusiast

Northeast
it is a Plymouth indeed...Belvedere II

i keep trying to upload pictures...it shows an attachment, but nothing uploads...oh well

currently has a 3.91 gear (came with a 3.23)

tires are stock blue lines

we'll see where it all goes - for the moment i bought her to be a driver and no kind of garage queen - believe it or not, it will do duty driving to kids sport games etc

who says you can't have fun while chauffeuring your kids around!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2