10/20/08 05:42 PM
10/20/08 05:42 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Well first if you've got mildew in there already you need to clean it....Then I use a product called Damprid...It's for humidity control in confined spaces... You can get it at Lowes,K mart, and a few other places around here...I hang it from the rear view mirror and absorbs moisture out of the closed up car...It has a pouch that collects the water and you just check on it from time to time and change it out when it gets full...The added bonus is it adds a nice smell that seems to repel the little vermin so they don't want the car as a winter home...

Re: interior mildew [Re: screamindriver] #139181
10/22/08 01:16 PM
10/22/08 01:16 PM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Damprid's website says:

"Avoid metal and leather appears on the container. What is the danger?
DampRid is a salt product. If the absorbed moisture comes in contact with metal for a long period of time, the metal will corrode. Similarly, the product can absorb the moisture in leather, leaving it hard and wrinkled."

But it says the best for cars is the big bucket. I bought 2 buckets and now wondering if I should use them or not. Would it matter if it was on the outside of the car in the storage unit? Would it be better to put it in the car and take my chances with the interior drying out? I could always put them in the house or shed somewhere if I don't use them for the car. I don't go up to the storage unit much during the winter.

Re: interior mildew [Re: MI_Custumz] #139182
10/22/08 06:01 PM
10/22/08 06:01 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Do you have a leather interior ??? I always clean up and use a protectant in my interiors before storage...I guess the bucket would work for the whole garage if it's fairly air tight...I dont have the luxury of a heated storage area so once the temp gets below the operating range of the dehumidifier I install the damprid in the vehicles....I use the hanging moisture absorber that comes in an inclosed,disposable packet...It has two chambers with a plastic hanger on top...The top has the crystalized chemicals that draws the moisture in and then it settles into the bottom pouch...The crystals dissolve as the water is collected....There's only enough crystals to dissolve and fill the pouch...It can't overflow,leak, or get on anything and the plastic pouch is tough...Once the pouch is full I've beat it around to see if it would break easily and I could'nt do it !!! I poke a hole in the bottom to drain it before disposal{you don't need to} and even that's tough to do....I've been using those packets for years and have'nt had any issues....Now to be fair I have'nt tried it with a leather interior but I'm thinking they are just CYA on that issue..{I wonder if desicant type products do that to leather ??? }...On that note are'nt leather conditioning products usually an oil base ??? Anyhow...I 've seen the buckets{of damprid} but to be honest I have'nt tried it..I'm sure those buckets will also have a premeasured amount so it won't overflow which leads to the next issue.....Something to watch for....One of my buddies bought a different brand of the bucket type desicant and the darn thing filled up and overflowed... ...
Back on the packet type...One thing I've noticed{on a finished car with weather seals} is when I first hang it from the interior's rear view mirror, will absorb moisture and then the air will stabilize....It won't collect any more moisture unless the car is opened up....I know a bunch of guys in this area that are using these packets and they're doing the job with no ugly side affects...I'm sure we'd like to hear from anyone that has a product that worked for them....Anyone ????? Here's the damprid site for those who are interested... Damprid

Re: interior mildew [Re: screamindriver] #139183
11/02/08 02:33 PM
11/02/08 02:33 PM
The Historic Hudson Valley
MONC Offline
master
MONC  Offline
master

The Historic Hudson Valley
Been using Damprid product for years.
At first the hanging pouches in an enclosed area but outside the vehicle. I also have used the loose crystals in a bucket at the floor.
They also have pouches now, which I am thinking of using in the interior but have not done so yet.

I agree once the pouches have absorbed all they can, remove the fluid carefully and discard the empty pouch. It is VERY corrosive.

I have also noticed that in winter the air is so dry that you really don't need the pouches for any moisture control. It's only in the spring and summer months are they effective. My