10/20/08 07:50 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I used to know but its been a while.

I know if you mess with the fuel level in a holley (maake it higher or lower than the sight plug) it will change the way the motor runs.

I thought I remembered that if the level was slightly higher, the main system comes in sooner and the idle mixture would richen. can anyone refresh my memory

Ive been messing with the sixpack to try and make it idle better. I have the idle set at around 1200 and it drops to about 650-700 in gear. I think I can get it better than this by messing with the mixture screws and the fuel level. any tips?

the motor is 416, 9.7:1 compression, 565/575, 245/250 @ .050. Ive got the promax baseplates, jet plates and metering block and the outboard seem to be set right (covering the idle air bleeds does change the rpms). im running about 9" vacuum in idle/neutral, and around 5" in gear

Re: holley fuel level and effects- SIX PACK #138977
10/20/08 08:58 AM
10/20/08 08:58 AM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
generally speaking, the higher the fuel level the richer the mix and vice/versus for lowering the fuel level. keep in mind that raising or lowering the fuel level 1/4 turn on the needle/seat above or below spec is about maximun before you start to run into problems. too high will let the fuel weep thru the boosters; too low will give idle mix problems. if it were me i'd recheck the fuel levels and set them all at the bottom of the sight plug first. next, i'd go after the distributor and try to get as much initial timing as possible and bring the curve in quickly. then if need be you can go back at the float level for minor tweaking. i set my end carb idle adjustment screws slightly on the rich side. i use a vacuum guage and tachometer and adjust the mixture screws out until i get maybe a 50rpm drop or 1/2" vacuum drop at idle while covering the idle bleed.hope this helps.

Re: holley fuel level and effects- SIX PACK [Re: lewtot184] #138978
10/20/08 12:02 PM
10/20/08 12:02 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
What is you timing set to? post total and initial if you can... It sounds like it's just not tuned right. Meaning it's not making a lot of power at idle. Initial timing is crutial for a 6bbl to work well. Always set timing first, then adjust the carb(s)

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: holley fuel level and effects- SIX PACK [Re: moper] #138979
10/20/08 12:05 PM
10/20/08 12:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

initial is 18. total 34-35 (bounces around a bit). I can recheck it though again but thats where I set it. Never checked the timing at idle in gear though. that might be a key