Print Thread
E-body needing brake help in Long Island, where to go? #138752
10/19/08 05:16 PM
10/19/08 05:16 PM
new york
72restocuda Offline OP
72restocuda  Offline OP

new york
73 barracuda, front 11.75 discs, new rotors, pads, calipers, brake lines, master cylinder, 11x3 rear drums off a 1983 dodge van, despite bleeding and bleeding still pulls hard to the left. Just want to bring it to someone knowledgable and trustworthy in Long Island (preferrable nassau county). I can't keep working on it at this point, any suggestions. Thanks

Re: E-body needing brake help in Long Island, where to go? [Re: 72restocuda] #138753
10/19/08 09:51 PM
10/19/08 09:51 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
not my neck of the woods but a suggestion, you might jack up the front & have a helper play with the pedal as you are outside spinning each wheel by hand & see if each side is getting similar braking forces. The rear, I would spoon each side until it is locked tight then back them off until they are free then spoon them back up tight until you reach a point where at one point as each rear wheel turns there is a slight "tick" where you can HEAR the contact but not FEEL this contact slowing the wheel down. This is hard to do on the rears because of the diff so I jack up the rear put it in gear let it idle & listen at each rear wheel, stop the wheel, spoon it tight some more let the wheel turn until I reach the above described point. Easier with a helper in the driver seat to hit the brakes, I adjust some more then he releases them. It's IMPORTANT to spoon them solid then back them off then retighten. Good Luck.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: E-body needing brake help in Long Island, where to go? [Re: RapidRobert] #138754
10/19/08 10:01 PM
10/19/08 10:01 PM
new york
72restocuda Offline OP
72restocuda  Offline OP

new york
I appreciate the suggestion, I've just hit a wall with this car. It has fought me all the way in its restoration for the last almost 10 years. I have replaced almost every part of this car and I need a brake (no pun intended). I need someone else with experience to give it a once over. Thanks anyway.

Re: E-body needing brake help in Long Island, where to go? [Re: 72restocuda] #138755
10/19/08 10:06 PM
10/19/08 10:06 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Yes I do understand frustration & brakes have a special way of getting under a persons skin like no other. I rearead your post & missed that you said they wont bleed out, will they pump up(air) or is it a mechanical issue.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: E-body needing brake help in Long Island, where to go? [Re: RapidRobert] #138756
10/21/08 06:21 AM
10/21/08 06:21 AM
Rome, Ga
S
sbhpcb Offline
enthusiast
sbhpcb  Offline
enthusiast
S

Rome, Ga
I had a line loose It was snug on the threads but not sealed on the rear axel brake line. It was not bleeding properly and had air in it. It did not leak fluid as I guess it never got to it. I scratched my head several time before I went trough ever part till I found it.

Re: E-body needing brake help in Long Island, where to go? [Re: 72restocuda] #138757
10/21/08 10:50 AM
10/21/08 10:50 AM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
I can relate to the frustration. I have been fighting the mid-project blues for a few months now. Just keep telling yourself how you love working on your car, how it relaxes and challenges your mind. Do it everytime you remember how frustrated you are, and you will eventually begin to believe it again...It works for all kinds of stuff. Remember, focus your mind on the good, and the good will get bigger, focus it on the bad, and the negative will get bigger. Turn the steering wheel of your consciousness towards the positive everytime your head wants to steer you towards the negative, and you will find yourself on a fresh, positive road. Enough with the psychology for now....I gotta do this myself in fact!

It is probably a bleeding issue, bad part or the adjustment/assembly of the rear brakes. By the way, why such large rear-drum brakes?

There should be shops that specialize in brakes listed in your yellow pages(that's a book with a bunch of phone numbers & little advertisements in it for you younger guys)

Were you using a power bleeder? Were you able to get brake fluid out of each wheel?