02/12/13 05:52 AM
02/12/13 05:52 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Hi guys. I have a 1970 Challenger and am getting back into correcting and fixing a bunch of little problems that the previous owner did during his "restoration". At the moment, I am looking for the special pivot bolts that are used to attach the front bucket seat backs to the seat bottoms. I have one correct bolt and 3 poor replacements. I have a attached a photo of the one correct/good bolt (sitting next to the hinge/bracket it goes into). Thanks for your help.

Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1386047
02/12/13 11:53 AM
02/12/13 11:53 AM
SE Wisconsin, USA
RP's R/T's Offline
super stock
RP's R/T's  Offline
super stock

SE Wisconsin, USA
These are common with many/most/all other seats from that era. A stop at a junkyard will allow you to get some. They often show up in boxes of random fasteners at swap meets, too.
Byron Fettig in North Dakota may have them as he salvages and sorts all the pieces from the cars he pulls apart.

Or, are you looking for new versions? Nicely plated?
I don't recall R/T Specialties having these.

Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: RP's R/T's] #1386048
02/12/13 01:35 PM
02/12/13 01:35 PM
Washington
69440 Offline
super stock
69440  Offline
super stock

Washington
I have many of those, and would be happy to donate a few to your cause. PM me and we'll hook up.

Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: RP's R/T's] #1386049
02/14/13 03:26 PM
02/14/13 03:26 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

These are common with many/most/all other seats from that era. A stop at a junkyard will allow you to get some. They often show up in boxes of random fasteners at swap meets, too.
Byron Fettig in North Dakota may have them as he salvages and sorts all the pieces from the cars he pulls apart.

Or, are you looking for new versions? Nicely plated?
I don't recall R/T Specialties having these.

Thanks for your suggestions. Of couse, the nicer the bolts the better. As long as they're in good clean-up condition, I'll be happy. I just sent Byron an email, and checked R/T Specialties, but nothing came up in my search on their site. Unfortunately, no real junk yards close by for me in Los Angeles area. Trying to get the car finished for the upcoming Mopar Spring Fling Show in April. They have a swap meet area at their shows, but I'll need the bolts before that.

Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: 69440] #1386050
02/14/13 04:45 PM
02/14/13 04:45 PM
Lansing, MI
70gtx440dana Offline
master
70gtx440dana  Offline
master

Lansing, MI
Quote:

I have many of those, and would be happy to donate a few to your cause. PM me and we'll hook up.

Not sure why you didn't take Bill up on his offer to provide these to you???? He restores seat belts and the seat belt bolts which are very similar to these seat hinge bolts. I am sure that is how he ended up with a stash of them. Bill is a great guy and loves to help out when he can!

70 Road Runner 383-4 4 speed FJ5 & black guts
70 Charger R/T 440-4 4 speed FJ5 & white guts
Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: 70gtx440dana] #1386051
02/14/13 06:36 PM
02/14/13 06:36 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure why you didn't take Bill up on his offer to provide these to you???? He restores seat belts and the seat belt bolts which are very similar to these seat hinge bolts. I am sure that is how he ended up with a stash of them. Bill is a great guy and loves to help out when he can!

I did take Bill up on his offer. I sent him a PM like he suggested and am currently waiting for a reply.

Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1386052
02/23/13 04:24 PM
02/23/13 04:24 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
This might be a rather tough question, but does anyone know the reason for the difference between these two seat hinge bolts? When I took the seats out of my '70 Challenger and took the backs off the bottoms, I had a mix of hinge bolts (something that was done by the prior owner). I had what I believed to be one correct bolt (see photo in first post). I received three used bolts yesterday from someone who restores seat belts and their bolts. He said he took them off of a '70 vehicle with high-back bucket seats. In the following attached photos, one of his three bolts is on the left, and my one bolt (that I believe to be correct) is on the right. His "shoulder" is 5/8" high, while mine is 1/2" high. His is stamped with the letter "N", mine has an "SB" cast in the head. Were these bolts used in different model/year Mopars? Are either one of them correct for a '70 Challenger with high-back bucket seats? Also, I had what I believed to be one correct washer for the hinge bolt. It is steel and slightly concave and measures approximately 1-1/2" diameter x 3/32" thick, with a 1/2" center hole. The gentlemen was kind enough to send me three "washers" as well (says they were also from a '70 vehicle with high-back buckets). They appear to be made of a "fiber" material, and are completely different in size. Which type/size of washer was used with the hinge bolt on a '70 Challenger? My steel washer looks to be correct and functional, or is the fiber washer correct? I know that these bolts and washers were used in many of the models during that era, but any knowledge you can share about the applications for these is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1386053
02/27/13 03:19 AM
02/27/13 03:19 AM
Maple Valley, WA
70mopes Offline
pro stock
70mopes  Offline
pro stock

Maple Valley, WA
I haven't looked at e-body seat back bolts in awhile but have been working with 68-69 b-body buckets and those bolts all have a steel washer with an integral rubber washer formed to it. They are about 3/16ths thick. The fiber washers go in between the seat back lever and the seat bottom upholstery for protection. The shorter bolt you have may be common to e-body if in fact they do not use the rubberized washers I speak of. I would venture to guess that the slightly longer bolts use the rubber washer and can be found on 68-69 A and B body buckets and probably others.

Re: 70 Challenger Front Seat Hinge Bolts? [Re: 70mopes] #1386054
03/04/13 04:22 AM
03/04/13 04:22 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
I thought I'd share an update on my quest for "correct" seat hinge bolts. I continued to Google search for the bolts. I came across an expired (08/2012) ebay listing for 4 bolts and washers that the seller described as follows: "Up for your auction is this good used set of four bucket seat hinge bolts and washers that I believe came off a 1972-74 era Challenger or Barracuda / Cuda. I think these may work on all 1970-74 E-bodies, and possibly some of the B-bodies from this era too ...). The ebay listing had no buyer. So, I contacted the seller, and he quickly responded with detailed info (BTW - he was awesome to deal with). He still had them, and offered to sell them to me for the "starting bid" price + shipping ($18.75 total). After some email communication (sharing specifics about our bolts and washers), I decided to buy them. He ended up sending (4) bolts (that match my one bolt that I believed to be correct), (4) washers (that match my one washer that I believed to be correct), and (4) other washers that are larger in diameter with a unique bossing at the center hole. Does anyone know what the correct washer is for E-Bodies? I don't know if earlier years used something different than the later model years. Apparently, there were also "fiber" (or panel board) washers used WITH the larger steel washers. See link below.

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/md2030.html

I had previously received original "fiber" washers from another person (mentioned in my previous post) that fit the backside of the larger steel washer perfectly. Hence, the fiber washer would go between the steel washer and the seat cover to protect the material.

The 1st two photos show my bolt and washer on the far left, and the (4) matching bolts and washers to the right. The 3rd and 4th photos show my bolt and washer on the left, and a matching bolt with the larger 2" diameter washer. The 5th photo shows my steel washer on the left (1-7/16" diameter), and the 2" diameter steel washer in the middle. Notice the bossing around the center hole to "center" the fiber washer (which is on the right, and has a larger diameter center hole to fit the bossing). Can anyone share any insight? Thanks.