01/31/13 01:32 AM
01/31/13 01:32 AM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
engine compartment. these are mostly hidden behind the engine. i know there is no way to do a perfect job, but i'd like to fix these as best as possible.

suggestions? i don't have a gun, but have a 4 gal compressor, and there are a few good small guns i can pick up.

7568125-IMG_1697.jpg (92 downloads)
Re: how do i repair this paint? [Re: mickm] #1379039
01/31/13 02:38 AM
01/31/13 02:38 AM
San Jose, Ca.
dhkennedy Offline
dhkennedy  Offline

San Jose, Ca.
Hobby store and the Airbrush paint setup, some are less than $150 complete with their own on demand compressor. Real easy to use and with very little overspray and cleanup.

Re: how do i repair this paint? [Re: mickm] #1379040
01/31/13 02:51 AM
01/31/13 02:51 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
With a bottle of touch-up paint you can do a decent job:

Scuff the low spot and build the chipped area up with paint until the paint is above the original surface. Then, wet sand it level and shoot some clear over top.

It's kinda tedious, but it turns out fairly well.

So, you might be asking "where am I supposed to get touch-up paint for this thing?" You did have one made up when the car was painted, right?

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: how do i repair this paint? [Re: Grizzly] #1379041
01/31/13 01:25 PM
01/31/13 01:25 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

With a bottle of touch-up paint you can do a decent job:

Scuff the low spot and build the chipped area up with paint until the paint is above the original surface. Then, wet sand it level and shoot some clear over top.

It's kinda tedious, but it turns out fairly well.

So, you might be asking "where am I supposed to get touch-up paint for this thing?" You did have one made up when the car was painted, right?

yup, do have paint!

what do i scuff it with, and what grit of paper do i wet sand with?

Re: how do i repair this paint? [Re: mickm] #1379042
01/31/13 02:14 PM
01/31/13 02:14 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Quote:

yup, do have paint!

Aw, good Man!

I took a lead pencil with eraser on the end and cut a little round piece of 320 dry grit. Glued the 320 to the eraser and scuffed the chip. I guess you could cut a little piece of scotch pad and press it in there with the pencil eraser too.

Use a modeling brush, and even a magnifying glass and apply the paint inside the chip. It could take 3 or more applications to build it up. Give it plenty of time to dry (like a day or two) cause that blob of paint will smear all over if you get at it too quick.

On the built up paint I used 1000 wet/dry grit pulled tight on a hard sanding block and carefully flattened it down with the corner of the block. When you get close you'll wind up scuffing the clear that is surrounding it.

Wipe it down with solvent (I can't remember what I used).

And for clear, shoot, I just used some Duplicolor engine clear with one mist coat, and a couple of heavy shots.

I was amazed at how good it turned out for an in-the-garage fix.

You can get fussier and fussier with it Mick and prime the area, step up to 2000 wet, some cut polish, and final wax on exterior panels like I was doing, but it's up to you.

I'm not a body-guy, it's just a little process I read in one of my old car mags and decided to try it out.

Hope it works as good for you as it did for me.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: how do i repair this paint? [Re: Grizzly] #1379043
01/31/13 03:32 PM
01/31/13 03:32 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

Quote:

yup, do have paint!

Aw, good Man!

I took a lead pencil with eraser on the end and cut a little round piece of 320 dry grit. Glued the 320 to the eraser and scuffed the chip. I guess you could cut a little piece of scotch pad and press it in there with the pencil eraser too.

Use a modeling brush, and even a magnifying glass and apply the paint inside the chip. It could take 3 or more applications to build it up. Give it plenty of time to dry (like a day or two) cause that blob of paint will smear all over if you get at it too quick.

On the built up paint I used 1000 wet/dry grit pulled tight on a hard sanding block and carefully flattened it down with the corner of the block. When you get close you'll wind up scuffing the clear that is surrounding it.

Wipe it down with solvent (I can't remember what I used).

And for clear, shoot, I just used some Duplicolor engine clear with one mist coat, and a couple of heavy shots.

I was amazed at how good it turned out for an in-the-garage fix.

You can get fussier and fussier with it Mick and prime the area, step up to 2000 wet, some cut polish, and final wax on exterior panels like I was doing, but it's up to you.

I'm not a body-guy, it's just a little process I read in one of my old car mags and decided to try it out.

Hope it works as good for you as it did for me.

well, the car will be down for a while, so i've got some time. i remember reading something like this a long time ago, sounds like it's the thing to do.

i'll give it a shot, thanks for the detailed description!

Re: how do i repair this paint? [Re: mickm] #1379044
01/31/13 03:58 PM
01/31/13 03:58 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Anytime, Mick.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".