04/29/09 06:38 PM
04/29/09 06:38 PM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
"I was deducted for having a repo VIN on the Challenger so I needed to keep the original on this car."

Dave, I'm a little confused, if the door sticker was indistinguishable from the original, except for the fact it was to new looking, why the deduction in points? I thought the Challenger scored perfect on the paint and that obviously wasn’t original. How does that work in the Mopar National judging criteria?

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: HEMICUDA] #137503
04/29/09 07:47 PM
04/29/09 07:47 PM
White Plains, NY
VCODE Offline
top fuel
VCODE  Offline
top fuel

White Plains, NY
Quote:

"I was deducted for having a repo VIN on the Challenger so I needed to keep the original on this car."

Dave, I'm a little confused, if the door sticker was indistinguishable from the original, except for the fact it was to new looking, why the deduction in points? I thought the Challenger scored perfect on the paint and that obviously wasn’t original. How does that work in the Mopar National judging criteria?

Is it true that if you use repro parts 1 point is taken off automatically?

Mom & Dad let me buy a brand new 70 Challenger R/T 440 Six-Pack Super Trac Pack when I was 17

(Robert what is a 440 Six-Pack)
Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: VCODE] #137504
04/29/09 08:51 PM
04/29/09 08:51 PM
SE Pa.
L
LimeliteAero Offline
master
LimeliteAero  Offline
master
L

SE Pa.
Im pretty sure I wont be in any situation where Ill be counting points.

But I destroyed my original sticker while attempting to remove it. I was going to replace it with a repop anyway but I wanted to hold onto the real deal original.

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: LimeliteAero] #137505
04/29/09 10:01 PM
04/29/09 10:01 PM
KY USA
mopargem Offline
master
mopargem  Offline
master

KY USA
Quote:

But I destroyed my original sticker while attempting to remove it. I was going to replace it with a repop anyway but I wanted to hold onto the real deal original.

But they made it look easy to remove that VIN decal in the original Gone in 60 seconds movie

68 Polara 500...LL1 Y7 M6X
69 Hemi road runner...X9 X9 M6X
69 A12 road runner....R4 R4 M6X
69 ModTop FLORAL Super Bee...F
70 AAR 'cuda...EW1 EW1 H4X9
71 Duster 340...FJ6 V24 L6X9
71 road runner FC7 V1X M6X9

72 Rallye Charger B5 V1W

74 'cuda 360...KB5 V1X A6X9
08 SRT Challenger #234

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: VCODE] #137506
04/29/09 11:28 PM
04/29/09 11:28 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline OP
David Walden
ECS  Offline OP
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Is it true that if you use repro parts 1 point is taken off automatically?

Hi Bob and Mike!
If you guys don't mind, I will address both points in this one post. Yes Bob, an automatic one point reduction occurs if the part is not original Mopar issue. You get one point for originality and one point for the condition or appearance of the part. If the part is original and looks new, you get two points for the part. If it is reproduction, only one point can be earned for just the overall appearance of the part.

Mike, I have wondered for years how a vehicle can be judged with an inconsistent view throughout the SAME vehicle!?! I am not referencing the OE judging specifically but I really don't know how to answer your question. I agree 100% with your rationale even though I criticize my own vehicles by doing so. Right is right and wrong is wrong. If one aspect of the car is scrutinized and docked because of the reproduction status of a part, why isn't the replacement or "reproduction" paint given a one point deduction? It isn't original! Wouldn't you assume that the same judging characteristics would apply for EVERY part or aspect of the car? If the judges say that the decal appears to be too new and therefore receives a deduction, wouldn't the beautiful new appearing paint job fall within the same category of scrutiny?

Concerning the VIN decals, I really think that what we provide is every bit as good or "original" as the ones that were manufactured many years ago. Before everyone jumps all over that comment let me explain the reasoning behind it. In 1970, Chrysler used an independent, subsidized manufacturer to produce their VIN safety standard decals. The company they commissioned was given a license and the approval to provide these labels/decals to the car industry. In 2002, ECS (an independent, subsidized manufacturer) was given licensing rights to manufacture VIN safety standard decals for the Chrysler market. We have the original blueprints and specifications that were given to the same company who originally provided the service/product in 1970. Unless someone has a need or love affair with 40 year old generic materials, compared to the exact same materials we use today, what is the real difference? Ninety five percent of the NOS replacement parts we buy today were manufactured AFTER the cars were produced on the assembly line. Aren't those parts simply reproduction parts that were manufactured at a later date by an independent, subsidized (licensed) manufacturer? NOS parts were not made by Chrysler. They were made under contract just like the parts that people like BE&A and I, are authorized to manufacture. If someone wants to argue that the "old" reproduction NOS replacement parts have a more "correct" status, I need to ask based on what? If it was made after the fact and not a factory installed piece, are we to assume that one degree of incorrectness takes precedence over an "acceptable" or alternative degree of incorrectness? A piece that was made 35 years ago by a subsidized independent manufacturer (for Chrysler) is still just an older version of a reproduction replacement part!!

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: ECS] #137507
04/30/09 11:52 AM
04/30/09 11:52 AM
Anchorage, Alaska
Iceman01 Offline
Challenged
Iceman01  Offline
Challenged

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:

Concerning the VIN decals, I really think that what we provide is every bit as good or "original" as the ones that were manufactured many years ago. Before everyone jumps all over that comment let me explain the reasoning behind it. In 1970, Chrysler used an independent, subsidized manufacturer to produce their VIN safety standard decals. The company they commissioned was given a license and the approval to provide these labels/decals to the car industry. In 2002, ECS (an independent, subsidized manufacturer) was given licensing rights to manufacture VIN safety standard decals for the Chrysler market. We have the original blueprints and specifications that were given to the same company who originally provided the service/product in 1970. Unless someone has a need or love affair with 40 year old generic materials, compared to the exact same materials we use today, what is the real difference? Ninety five percent of the NOS replacement parts we buy today were manufactured AFTER the cars were produced on the assembly line. Aren't those parts simply reproduction parts that were manufactured at a later date by an independent, subsidized (licensed) manufacturer? NOS parts were not made by Chrysler. They were made under contract just like the parts that people like BE&A and I, are authorized to manufacture. If someone wants to argue that the "old" reproduction NOS replacement parts have a more "correct" status, I need to ask based on what? If it was made after the fact and not a factory installed piece, are we to assume that one degree of incorrectness takes precedence over an "acceptable" or alternative degree of incorrectness? A piece that was made 35 years ago by a subsidized independent manufacturer (for Chrysler) is still just an older version of a reproduction replacement part!!

Excellent food for thought Dave.

Until total honesty is on the table, we're not even talking about reality...
Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: ECS] #137508
04/30/09 12:44 PM
04/30/09 12:44 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Dave, are your labels made of "tamper resistant material" like all compliance labels are supposed to be? They are supposed to tear or are destroyed if removed. Not that it makes any difference and just asking but that's the reg for compliance labels....don't ask how I know

MikeR

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: A12] #137509
04/30/09 03:20 PM
04/30/09 03:20 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline OP
David Walden
ECS  Offline OP
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Dave, are your labels made of "tamper resistant material" like all compliance labels are supposed to be? They are supposed to tear or are destroyed if removed. Not that it makes any difference and just asking but that's the reg for compliance labels....don't ask how I know

MikeR

Hi Mike,
As of September 2008, all replacement VIN labels (for newer vehicles) are required to be manufactured with "self destructive" tamper resistant adhesive material. ECS has another branch of our company that supplies licensed replacement VIN decals to the collision industry across the country. Check us out at ESCVIN.com. We are licensed and approved to obtain all types of select materials that were/are used by the various automobile manufacturers. Our "vintage" decals are not under the same guidelines or jurisdiction as the ones that were made for the model years 1990 to present. We use a product that is twice as durable as the original only because the customers asked for the "better" material from the outset. Some of those pioneer customers complained that they were not able to move the decal if they placed it in a wrong location. They couldn't reposition it even if only a small part of the decal was stuck to the painted surface. The tamper resistant material we use for the Chrysler VINs will destroy the surface artwork or print if you try and remove them. If anyone ever requests the older style tamper proof material, we can certainly provide that particular type. Since our customers are not buying these to see if they can be destroyed upon removing them, the variant "tamper resistant" material we use has not been an issue whatsoever. Keep in mind that the material label stock used by Chrysler (throughout the years) has changed numerous times.

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: ECS] #137510
04/30/09 05:39 PM
04/30/09 05:39 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Hi Dave, thank you that is a great explanation and I totally understand the rational for not using the tamper resistant material on the reproduction labels, appreciate the reply.

MikeR

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: A12] #137511
04/30/09 06:42 PM
04/30/09 06:42 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline OP
David Walden
ECS  Offline OP
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

I totally understand the rational for not using the tamper resistant material on the reproduction labels, appreciate the reply.

MikeR

Hi Mike,
I just wanted to clarify that the material we use for the reproduction Chrysler VIN decals, IS in fact a tamper resistant product. It does not remove in the same fashion as the originals however. We chose the variant form of material because it doesn't destroy the entire foundation layer when it is removed. The base layer will remain but the face of the printed surface will separate away from the clear overlay if it has been firmly pressed into place. It allows for (some) positioning correction during the initial application phase. Sorry for the confusion.

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: anlauto] #137512
05/09/09 02:40 PM
05/09/09 02:40 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline OP
David Walden
ECS  Offline OP
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mark,
The original battery is long gone. It still has the original cables though. We do know from the buildsheets that it took the yellow cap battery. I have 21 months to locate an original....that will be a tough find!

If you do find an original please post pictures of it beside a reproduction....I don't think I've ever seen an original Is there a lot of differences?

Which leads me to a OE Level judging question....
If a persons car is sporting a reproduction battery, which I'm sure 99% are....Is there a point deduction?

Hi Alan! Guess what Dave Stuart and I found yesterday on a road trip to Indiana?
A yellow cap, 24 Series, ASSEMBLY LINE, date coded, original Chrysler battery!!!!!!! My buddy (Ed Meyer) had ONE that he got from a guy who did the warranty claims for Chrysler dealerships many years ago. (I almost immediately thought of you when we saw it.) I could not believe that we found this. Until yesterday, I had never even seen an assembly line battery. Your statement about the repos being 99% correct is not even close. The original has a different look that stands out distinctly from the reproduction. I will get some close up side by side comparison photos and post them on Monday. I have already “detailed” the battery and it looks New again. An Unbelievable find!!
We are finished locating every replacement component needed and were able to stand by our original mission statement…..not a single reproduction part!

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: ECS] #137513
05/09/09 04:24 PM
05/09/09 04:24 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
That's awesome Dave...will it take a charge?
Does the date code work well for your car? That would be an amazing find. Congratulations

If that's my quote above...I said 99% of people are using reproduction batteries NOT that reproduction batteries are 99% correct. As I've stated...I've never seen an original that I know of.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: anlauto] #137514
05/09/09 06:51 PM
05/09/09 06:51 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline OP
David Walden
ECS  Offline OP
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

That's awesome Dave...will it take a charge?
I said 99% of people are using reproduction batteries NOT that reproduction batteries are 99% correct.

It actually MIGHT take a charge! It was stored dry and the plates look pretty good. I am going to research the "How To" on something like this and see if it can be brought back.
The date code is 12/69 so it will work for this car built in 4/70.
Sorry for not understanding your quote and my misprint.

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: anlauto] #137515
05/09/09 06:56 PM
05/09/09 06:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
Great find Dave!.
Leave it to 'Special' Ed, a Ford guy to have that battery in his possession.

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: ECS] #137516
05/09/09 10:03 PM
05/09/09 10:03 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Dave, can you post a photo of the top, bottom and sides of the battery cap? Thanks.

MikeR

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: ECS] #137517
05/10/09 11:52 AM
05/10/09 11:52 AM
boogie down bronx, ny
S
stevenjuliano Offline
enthusiast
stevenjuliano  Offline
enthusiast
S

boogie down bronx, ny
dave....that came from delberts place. ed and i went there a long time ago. i still have some new in box 24c autolite batteries for a cobra from there plus some dead chrysler batteries and some pretty cool memorabilia. we would spend all day in that place. i'd be telling stories to delbert keeping him occupied while ed was in the back rooting through the goodies. as ed would be banging around i would speak louder to try to cover up the noise. man, what i would give to relive those days again.... what most people dont know is that chrysler never serviced the assembly line batteries like gm and ford. for example, if back in 1970 you took home new your dart, boss 302 and a vette and the next morning you discover all your batteries have been stolen what would you have done? a trip to the ford dealer would have gotten you the same exact autolite, gm the same exact delco BUT the chrysler dealer would have sold you a CRYSLER PARTS battery. it looks nothing like the one that was in your car day one. to date i have never seen a brand new nos assembly line chrysler battery. that is the one part that has never turned up in my world.
in the ford world max over at AMK back in the day used to open the bottom of a dead used autolite, scoop out the insides (lots of work!) and sleeve in a smaller battery. to me that was a sin because i liked the batteries as display items. but it was cool to see an orig battery fire up his car like it was 1970 all over again.
happy mothers day to the mrs. steven

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: stevenjuliano] #137518
05/11/09 01:03 PM
05/11/09 01:03 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline OP
David Walden
ECS  Offline OP
David Walden
E

USA
Hey Steven! Good to hear from you yesterday. (That mention of you talking louder while Ed was rummaging through the parts had me laughing as hard as the Two Quarters story.) Here are a few photos of the battery.

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: A12] #137519
05/11/09 01:07 PM
05/11/09 01:07 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline OP
David Walden
ECS  Offline OP
David Walden
E

USA
Here you go Mike.

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: ECS] #137520
05/11/09 02:14 PM
05/11/09 02:14 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Here you go Mike.

THANKS Dave! yep five vent holes on the original caps vs. one on the repo So are there deductions for non-correctness on reproduction parts

Re: TAKING IT TO THE "NEW" NEXT LEVEL!! [Re: A12] #137521
05/11/09 06:19 PM
05/11/09 06:19 PM
Canada
S
sam c Offline
sam c  Offline
S

Canada
Hi Dave,I am currently getting ready to send my bumpers out for rechroming.I heard that you have obtained nos for the valiant.Could you post some pixs of the bumpers?I have been told that there are imperfections in original bumpers that are not duplicated after rechroming Thanks in advance.

Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22