01/13/13 10:18 PM
01/13/13 10:18 PM
Near Reading PA USA
pinkduster Offline OP
master
pinkduster  Offline OP
master

Near Reading PA USA
I've been bitten hard by the "Day 2" look and I've been considering buying a set of small bolt pattern aluminum slotted mags.

I'd like to avoid some potential pit falls BEFORE I go and buy some wheels. So maybe some of you have been down this road and can help.

My main concern is the center caps... or lack of. I'm guessing it's not easy to find center caps if they are missing. I assume if they are screw on caps that the screw hole circle is also going to be smaller than say a regularly available center cap from American Racing (like the Torque Thrust D caps). Also, if they are push in caps that they will be smaller diameter than anything readily available.

Lug nuts? I guess they would be the same as the ones I'm using for my Cragar S/S wheels.

Re: Question about small bolt pattern aluminum slots [Re: pinkduster] #1369255
01/13/13 10:55 PM
01/13/13 10:55 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
It depends...

Older slots were made by a variety of companies. Most people refer to the slots as 'Ansen' style but others made 'em too.

The sets I have both use a 'mag' style lug nut. That's the shouldered nut with a washer. Its best to get the nuts with the rims. One set I have uses a just slightly smaller diameter than the other set. (yea I had thought they would all be the same, but apperently there were exceptions)

As far as the center caps, yes, they are a pain. If the washers are a just a bit larger than the originals must have been, the plastic snap in caps don't work. Now and then I look for metal slip through caps to fit but its low on my priority list.

The new 'Ansen Slots' made by American racing use a standard seat lug nut. You can pick several styles from brands like Gorilla depending on your needs, and also if you need lefties. The new ARE rims come with caps. I guess they fit :dunno: I guess so. Mine sit on a shelf because I use these rims for autocross tires.

Re: Question about small bolt pattern aluminum slots [Re: Mattax] #1369256
01/13/13 11:11 PM
01/13/13 11:11 PM
Near Reading PA USA
pinkduster Offline OP
master
pinkduster  Offline OP
master

Near Reading PA USA
The wheels I found are Fenton Gyros... If that makes any difference.

Re: Question about small bolt pattern aluminum slots [Re: pinkduster] #1369257
01/14/13 12:27 PM
01/14/13 12:27 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
The Cragar lug nuts are unique to those wheels. It is hard to find the specific center caps and lugnuts, so if you are considering a set finding one complete is your best bet.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Question about small bolt pattern aluminum slots [Re: Rhinodart] #1369258
01/17/13 12:25 AM
01/17/13 12:25 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
I don't know for sure who manufactured the two older sets I have. Not all the companies put their name on the castings. Your welcome to look at them. If there is something you'ld like me to measure or take pictures of I can do that too.