01/13/13 01:01 AM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Thanks!

it's still the original block that came in the truck in '99... in case the years matter that much, or if comparing the Magnum to the LA is like apples and oranges?

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: mshred] #1367965
01/13/13 02:51 AM
01/13/13 02:51 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you are going to make over 600HP with a stock block, You should ( at least )half fill it - and go aftermarket main caps or a girdle. No question IMO on that one. You should also make sure the block sonic tests real good.

When you say aftermarket main caps, are you referring to the 4 bolt ones? or are there 2 bolts that are available to add strength? I always thought adding 4 bolt caps to a stock block weakened it more than anything

Never been a big fan of girdles...Have always felt that most of the small block designs don't seem like they would do much...but thats just my opinion

Not a girdle fan ether. Went with Milodon 4 blt main set up on mine.

I have to ask why the 4 bolt caps when most say it actually weakens the block? I have thought about it myself, and think its probably the single best thing one could do in the bottom end IF it wasn't said that the material there is too thin...I am just wondering what your reasoning was when you made that decision

Not saying 4 bolt caps are bad, because really, I've never installed them to know if they were to actually weaken a factory block...I am just going by what I read in so many places

I appreciate all the advice so far

1. I hard blocked it. 2. The shimming with washers thing with the girdle set up just seemed kinda hokey to me - and lots of parts involved. 3. My machinist ( highly qualified and very experienced guy ) recommended Milodon 4 bolt caps due to strength and as said, similar heat expansion rate as the block. I mentioned block thinness in the web area and he said that wasn't a problem if the job was done correctly. Time will tell if I made the right decision. BTW, I believe it cost less to go with the 4 blt cap set up verses the girdle, so the guy wasn't trying to sell me something.

Fastest 300
Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: Crizila] #1367966
01/13/13 02:28 PM
01/13/13 02:28 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
The girdle does cost more than the caps, you are right about that... Do you think there is any benefit to aftermarket 2 bolt caps? or is it those splayed outer bolts that really make the biggest difference in strength?

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: Duner] #1367967
01/13/13 02:29 PM
01/13/13 02:29 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Thanks!

it's still the original block that came in the truck in '99... in case the years matter that much, or if comparing the Magnum to the LA is like apples and oranges?

I have no idea to be honest if the earlier stuff is stronger or weaker....I hear both opinions...Mine is a 91 block, so newer just like yours, although mine is LA (again, not sure there is much of a difference there)

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: mshred] #1367968
01/13/13 03:12 PM
01/13/13 03:12 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you are going to make over 600HP with a stock block, You should ( at least )half fill it - and go aftermarket main caps or a girdle. No question IMO on that one. You should also make sure the block sonic tests real good.

When you say aftermarket main caps, are you referring to the 4 bolt ones? or are there 2 bolts that are available to add strength? I always thought adding 4 bolt caps to a stock block weakened it more than anything

Never been a big fan of girdles...Have always felt that most of the small block designs don't seem like they would do much...but thats just my opinion

IMO best caps for the small block that going to see street duty.
Ductile iron stong and same expansion rate as the block. Matt

Matt, are you running those caps in your Indy motor? Or is that motor an R3????

Yes I am. The two outer bolts IMO stabilize the cap. My engine, IF WE ratify our contract, will be starting in a month or so. R3 Non saimese two bolt main.
Indy 230 cnc, 4.25 stroke, flat mechanical and 12 to 1 comp. Indy intake and 1020 race demon. Hopefully it doesn't go

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: Crizila] #1367969
01/13/13 03:16 PM
01/13/13 03:16 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to ask why the 4 bolt caps when most say it actually weakens the block? I have thought about it myself, and think its probably the single best thing one could do in the bottom end IF it wasn't said that the material there is too thin...I am just wondering what your reasoning was when you made that decision

Not saying 4 bolt caps are bad, because really, I've never installed them to know if they were to actually weaken a factory block...I am just going by what I read in so many places

I appreciate all the advice so far

1. I hard blocked it. 2. The shimming with washers thing with the girdle set up just seemed kinda hokey to me - and lots of parts involved. 3. My machinist ( highly qualified and very experienced guy ) recommended Milodon 4 bolt caps due to strength and as said, similar heat expansion rate as the block. I mentioned block thinness in the web area and he said that wasn't a problem if the job was done correctly. Time will tell if I made the right decision. BTW, I believe it cost less to go with the 4 blt cap set up verses the girdle, so the guy wasn't trying to sell me something.

You notice that the ARP studs are not quite long enough. I thought I needed the MILODON studs. NOPE same problem. Last build I omitted the washer. But I think I will do what you did and have the stud recessed in the nut.

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: mshred] #1367970
01/13/13 03:20 PM
01/13/13 03:20 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

I have no idea to be honest if the earlier stuff is stronger or weaker....I hear both opinions...Mine is a 91 block, so newer just like yours, although mine is LA (again, not sure there is much of a difference there)

IMO with the quality control that Chrysler had in those days I would say it is a Crap Shoot.
I have a stock bore 1969 or 70 340 that is alot lighter that my 1988 360 block.
That thing is comparable to my R3

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: MattW] #1367971
01/13/13 03:23 PM
01/13/13 03:23 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IMO best caps for the small block that going to see street duty.
Ductile iron stong and same expansion rate as the block. Matt

Matt, are you running those caps in your Indy motor? Or is that motor an R3????

Yes I am. The two outer bolts IMO stabilize the cap. My engine, IF WE ratify our contract, will be starting in a month or so. R3 Non saimese two bolt main.
Indy 230 cnc, 4.25 stroke, flat mechanical and 12 to 1 comp. Indy intake and 1020 race demon. Hopefully it doesn't go

"The two outer bolts stablize the cap" was my machinists contention also. I think the torque was only 60psi on them if I remember correctly.

Fastest 300
Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: Crizila] #1367972
01/13/13 04:53 PM
01/13/13 04:53 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
My 500" BB in the Dart was half filled, I wouldn't do it again without a good oil cooler. After 20 minutes of cruising the oil pressure would drop down to 20 at idle and make me nervous.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: mshred] #1367973
01/13/13 10:22 PM
01/13/13 10:22 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I won't use block filler again under any conditions, never again, not good I redid and them made another complete motor for a NHRA stocker racer, the original block was filled to about 1/2 way up the cylinder walls by the formwer engine shop. We, me and the dyno operator, where dyno testing the first motor when the dyno owner came out with a infra red temp gun and read the side of the block, he ask us why we where running the motor so hot We had set the water temps running between 110 and 120 F set off of the dyno cooling tower. He had read the side of the block and below the cement was 180 F and above the cement fill line was 110 to 120F I didn't fill the new motor and it made the exact same HP and torque with the same heads, intake, carb and camshaft, rocker arms and so on as the original short block Lots of discussion on this topic, every builder and keyboard expert has there own idea on this, you heard mine If the block you have needs help buy a better block Don't patch it with fill BTW, one of the 426 hemi blocks I did fill at the owner insistance pushed a freeze plug out part way, I ended up replacing that freeze plug it after dyno testing it, I found out that the water was seeping down between the block and the cement, same thing on the cylinder walls, the cement shrunk after curing Why reduce the amount of coolant and contact surface by filling it with filler

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: Crizila] #1367974
01/13/13 11:29 PM
01/13/13 11:29 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
"The two outer bolts stablize the cap" was my machinists contention also. I think the torque was only 60psi on them if I remember correctly.

I have a stock 340 block that has billet steel caps
on it ... its a nice block and set up... on mine
the outer bolts are 3/8" and only need like 40# torque
if I remember right

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: MattW] #1367975
01/14/13 12:13 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

I hear ya about that contract stuff, its a real B.S. time right now here

Question for ya- if that R3 is a two bolt block, was it cast with extra material in the main webbing to allow for drilling the 4 bolt mains, or is it the same material thickness there as a production LA block?

Would you add 4 bolt caps to a factory block?

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: ProSport] #1367976
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

My 500" BB in the Dart was half filled, I wouldn't do it again without a good oil cooler. After 20 minutes of cruising the oil pressure would drop down to 20 at idle and make me nervous.

Did you ever have a temp gauge on it? How long would you drive it for at a time?

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1367977
01/14/13 12:18 AM
01/14/13 12:18 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

if I remember right

Mike, do you know whose caps they are? I thought I remember reading on here before that you had said its not worth the gamble to install the 4 bolt caps on a factory block as there isn't enough material...is the 340 block you have a T/A block or something?

Would you install 4 bolt caps if you were building a stock block motor? or do you still feel they weaken it?

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1367978
01/14/13 12:04 PM
01/14/13 12:04 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

I won't use block filler again under any conditions, never again, not good I redid and them made another complete motor for a NHRA stocker racer, the original block was filled to about 1/2 way up the cylinder walls by the formwer engine shop. We, me and the dyno operator, where dyno testing the first motor when the dyno owner came out with a infra red temp gun and read the side of the block, he ask us why we where running the motor so hot We had set the water temps running between 110 and 120 F set off of the dyno cooling tower. He had read the side of the block and below the cement was 180 F and above the cement fill line was 110 to 120F I didn't fill the new motor and it made the exact same HP and torque with the same heads, intake, carb and camshaft, rocker arms and so on as the original short block Lots of discussion on this topic, every builder and keyboard expert has there own idea on this, you heard mine If the block you have needs help buy a better block Don't patch it with fill BTW, one of the 426 hemi blocks I did fill at the owner insistance pushed a freeze plug out part way, I ended up replacing that freeze plug it after dyno testing it, I found out that the water was seeping down between the block and the cement, same thing on the cylinder walls, the cement shrunk after curing Why reduce the amount of coolant and contact surface by filling it with filler

Lots of different opinions on block fill, 4 bolt mains on stock blocks, etc - and thats a good thing. The OP has to eventually make up his mind on which way to go and of course $ is always a concern - for the guy spending it. I went through all the above, before I went the way I did. I only have about 11 passes on my motor to date, so I sure don't have enough history to say I went the right way for my set up yet. Aint broke yet, but if and when it does, I aint tellin anyone! - ok, just kiddin.

Fastest 300
Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: mshred] #1367979
01/14/13 12:16 PM
01/14/13 12:16 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

if I remember right

Mike, do you know whose caps they are? I thought I remember reading on here before that you had said its not worth the gamble to install the 4 bolt caps on a factory block as there isn't enough material...is the 340 block you have a T/A block or something?

Would you install 4 bolt caps if you were building a stock block motor? or do you still feel they weaken it?

I've never said I dont like 4 bolt caps... would I
recommend it on all builds ...nope... but the 3/8
outer bolts dont have a problem on the stock blocks...
I do have a T/A block but that one needs a set of
caps on it and when I decide to use it I will put
4 bolt caps back on it(I should pull that block out
of the pole barn and start prepping it for a build)...
I have a set of new in the box W-2s that need a home
but that will be a slow build up because I think I'm
finally running out of parts
EDIT
No I dont know whos caps they are... never seen these
caps before.. they are pinned also and thats nice..
there isnt any cap walk at all ... I bought this
block years ago and it had the caps on it already
(got it from a old roundy round racer

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 01/14/13 12:22 PM.
Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1367980
01/14/13 12:23 PM
01/14/13 12:23 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if I remember right

I might have a home for those W-2's if you are ever interested.

Fastest 300
Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: Crizila] #1367981
01/14/13 12:42 PM
01/14/13 12:42 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if I remember right

I might have a home for those W-2's if you are ever interested.

I dont plan on dumping them but if I need more parts
than I figure I might sell them off(they are just
a set of econo heads)...when I get my Rampage done
I'll start on porting them and locating my parts to
see what I have and what I need

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: mshred] #1367982
01/14/13 01:56 PM
01/14/13 01:56 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

I hear ya about that contract stuff, its a real B.S. time right now here

Question for ya- if that R3 is a two bolt block, was it cast with extra material in the main webbing to allow for drilling the 4 bolt mains, or is it the same material thickness there as a production LA block?

Would you add 4 bolt caps to a factory block?

All R3 block have the thick main webbing.
I would NOT use four bolt mains on a factory block. I WOULD use the Milodon or something similar Main Cap. It has four bolts but the outer ones are offset and do not break through the main webbing.
I don't really consider the Milodon caps as a four bolt cap. More between the two bolt and four bolt.
I THINK the early version of the four bolt caps for a factory block were drilled in the centre which weakened the block.

Re: Half Fill for street stroker SB??? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1367983
01/14/13 02:00 PM
01/14/13 02:00 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if I remember right

EDIT
No I dont know whos caps they are... never seen these
caps before.. they are pinned also and thats nice..
there isnt any cap walk at all ... I bought this
block years ago and it had the caps on it already
(got it from a old roundy round racer

How much could you get for that TA block?
Im thinking it maybe worth some coin to somebody who is restoring a AAR or TA.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5