C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline OP
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline OP
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

This blows and I don't even live there. Is Firebird closing a done deal?

Does this leave ANY dragstips in AZ? Whatever happened to the old Beeline track??

Wow.

Guess I better quit complaining about only having Sac and Sonoma within a couple of hours from home...

Here is the latest about Firebird.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/articles/20130103firebird-racing-likely-continue.html

Chris..

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: cudadoug] #1366987
01/10/13 12:41 PM
01/10/13 12:41 PM
in a chair
mopartony Offline
master
mopartony  Offline
master

in a chair
Quote:

Does this leave ANY dragstips in AZ? Whatever happened to the old Beeline track??

Wow.

Guess I better quit complaining about only having Sac and Sonoma within a couple of hours from home...

TIR is here in Tucson but I hear that is closing too as the county runs it and loosing money but who knows. Also thier schedule is limited and from what I hear the track is marginal.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopartony] #1366988
01/10/13 01:14 PM
01/10/13 01:14 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

TIR is here in Tucson but I hear that is closing too as the county runs it and loosing money but who knows. Also thier schedule is limited and from what I hear the track is marginal.

Track isn't bad. Nice long shutdown. I don't know how well their prep is though. BeeLine Dragway has been gone since the late 70's. Tower is still there though and nothing has been built on the land. Only 70 miles from my house.

Fastest 300
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopartony] #1366989
01/10/13 01:20 PM
01/10/13 01:20 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Every time I've ever been to Tucson - the prep was excellent. I really like the track and how they treat people. If it wasn't at 3015' before adding the atmospheric conditions - I'd go there more often... even if it is a 120 mile drive each way.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Crizila] #1366990
01/10/13 01:23 PM
01/10/13 01:23 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Track isn't bad. Nice long shutdown. I don't know how well their prep is though. BeeLine Dragway has been gone since the late 70's. Tower is still there though and nothing has been built on the land. Only 70 miles from my house.

I used to frequent the "Midnight Drags" at Beeline all the time "back in the day". There were rumors of a "New Beeline" floating around a few years ago, but nothing ever came of it. The blueprints that I saw looked impressive. Unfortunately, blueprint paper is WAY cheaper than property, concrete, asphalt and insurance.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopartony] #1366991
01/10/13 02:08 PM
01/10/13 02:08 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Actually its "SIR" here in Tucson. There is nothing marginal about the track or its operation. Since "mopartony" only "hears" its marginal - and incorrectly calls it "TIR" - I suspect he has never been out there.

The 2013 full schedule is not online yet, but
there are 5 events at the track between now and Feb 16th. There is also a private TNT on Jan 20th - which you can buy into. I see some of the track personnel most weekends, and there is no plan to close SIR. It is on the Pima County Fairgrounds, but run privately.

It is an IHRA track.

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1366992
01/10/13 02:13 PM
01/10/13 02:13 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Here is the latest about Firebird.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/news/articles/20130103firebird-racing-likely-continue.html

Chris..

That's encouraging. I've been hearing that Mr. Allen was actually the problem in trying to get a new deal.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: cudadoug] #1366993
01/10/13 02:28 PM
01/10/13 02:28 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
I don't think the State wants to close the track. I believe they just want Dan Mathew's gone!

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: cudadoug] #1366994
01/10/13 02:35 PM
01/10/13 02:35 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Here's another story/rumor to throw into the works----Firebird will be around a little bit longer with a new track manager. Speedworld is closing due to environmental & noise concerns as the drainage system there isn't up to Code & the encroaching population is beginning to complain. The track owner simpply doesn't want to make the required changes which, if you've beeen around awhile only makes sense as local population & facility useage has increased since the place was built 25+ years ago.
The property where Beeline was is privately owned, so it would take some persuading to get the owners to sell or invest in a track. Rumors existed some years ago that a new track would be built where the old GM Proving Grounds were, but that never materialized. Rumors & ideas of tracks being built near Kingman, Flagstaff, even Cottonwood have been going around for some time, but no one has ever stepped up.
Not surprising, though. Years ago when I was with the PD a local car club asked me to go to bat for them to help set-up a Terminal Island type facility & when pressed about maintemence, security & tech, no one wanted to come forth. Well, if no one will actually work for a facility, why should one even be built?

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: hemicop] #1366995
01/10/13 03:01 PM
01/10/13 03:01 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
The land where Beeline was located was leased from the Salt River Pima Indian Tribe.

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: hemicop] #1366996
01/10/13 03:09 PM
01/10/13 03:09 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
Speedworld has been operating since Dec. of 1960.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: MRMOPAR] #1366997
01/10/13 03:23 PM
01/10/13 03:23 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

The land where Beeline was located was leased from the Salt River Pima Indian Tribe.

It was, but got sold to a gun club somewhere in the late 80s.
As to Speedworld--didn't know it was there THAT long (been here since '79), so you can imagine the lack of building that went in back then compared to today's requiremments. The problem, in any event, is participation around here. Track owners take the racers for "grant it", and don't know how to run an event, NHRA's rules are getting too stiff for the hobby racer and the track's marketing is terrible. The owners need to take a lesson from track operators in the South & Midwest to see how they run & maintain a good car-count.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: hemicop] #1366998
01/10/13 03:33 PM
01/10/13 03:33 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

It was, but got sold to a gun club somewhere in the late 80s.
As to Speedworld--didn't know it was there THAT long (been here since '79), so you can imagine the lack of building that went in back then compared to today's requiremments. The problem, in any event, is participation around here. Track owners take the racers for "grant it", and don't know how to run an event, NHRA's rules are getting too stiff for the hobby racer and the track's marketing is terrible. The owners need to take a lesson from track operators in the South & Midwest to see how they run & maintain a good car-count.

It's amazing what our car count used to be back in the early 80's... when you had to drive down a dirt road to get to the track and pit in the dirt as well. I'm just happy they finally got paved roads to the track and also covered up the dirt where we pit.

All that said - YES, I would love for Bruton Smith to build a complex like he did in Vegas - anywhere in the valley would be good with me! I kinda like bathrooms that work! LOL

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Duner] #1366999
01/10/13 03:35 PM
01/10/13 03:35 PM
Mesa, AZ
cagebob1 Online content
enthusiast
cagebob1  Online Content
enthusiast

Mesa, AZ

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopacltd] #1367000
01/10/13 03:52 PM
01/10/13 03:52 PM
Scottsdale A.Z
71cudaddict Online content
mopar
71cudaddict  Online Content
mopar

Scottsdale A.Z
Quote:

I don't think the State wants to close the track. I believe they just want Dan Mathew's gone!

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: MRMOPAR] #1367001
01/10/13 05:58 PM
01/10/13 05:58 PM
in a chair
mopartony Offline
master
mopartony  Offline
master

in a chair
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Actually its "SIR" here in Tucson. There is nothing marginal about the track or its operation. Since "mopartony" only "hears" its marginal - and incorrectly calls it "TIR" - I suspect he has never been out there.

there are 5 events at the track between now and Feb 16th. There is also a private TNT on Jan 20th - which you can buy into. I see some of the track personnel most weekends, and there is no plan to close SIR. It is on the Pima County Fairgrounds, but run privately.

It is an IHRA track.

Mr "master of all things drag racing in Tucson AZ" Mopar, I do not know you nor you know me, so suspecting I have never been to the track is WRONG! As wrong as me hearing the prep is marginal or having limited events? No. I have been there, "watching" the Pro-Mods run in Oct. Along with a couple "events", saw quite a few cars spinning. The few Pro-Mods there said the prep stunk. Some of the guys here at work said the prep stunk at test and tune. So my saying I "hear" the prep is marginal is correct.

Now the couple of times I have looked at the schedule there have been few events on the schedule. Now maybe I need to be here more than a year to get to "real" event schedule or maybe I did not look at the right times, I do not know.

So instead of being a an f-ing tool. You may want to be a little nicer and correct someone. No you jump right to accusing.

As for "hearing" the track is closing that was on the Bullet and I heard it when I went to Firebird in the spring and fall.

But again I am an idiot who has "not" been to the track.

So Mr Mopar I hope you are happy.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: cagebob1] #1367002
01/10/13 06:00 PM
01/10/13 06:00 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

There will be a lot more state land related deaths on the STREET if they close shop.
Hope they get their papers correct and leave in place what is needed as a purge sport for many young and old.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: fullmetaljacket] #1367003
01/10/13 06:37 PM
01/10/13 06:37 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
A good buddy of mine who's been building his race car for the past 2 years is within a couple of months of completion.... He's beginning to throw tools when things cause a delay, and he's none too happy about possibly losing tracks to finally race the beast on.

He loves Vegas - but doesn't want to tow there every time he wants to race!

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: 71cudaddict] #1367004
01/10/13 07:54 PM
01/10/13 07:54 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline OP
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline OP
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Was he the reason Victoria left..

Chris..

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopartony] #1367005
01/10/13 08:15 PM
01/10/13 08:15 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

It is an IHRA track.

Mr "master of all things drag racing in Tucson AZ" Mopar, I do not know you nor you know me, so suspecting I have never been to the track is WRONG! As wrong as me hearing the prep is marginal or having limited events? No. I have been there, "watching" the Pro-Mods run in Oct. Along with a couple "events", saw quite a few cars spinning. The few Pro-Mods there said the prep stunk. Some of the guys here at work said the prep stunk at test and tune. So my saying I "hear" the prep is marginal is correct.

Now the couple of times I have looked at the schedule there have been few events on the schedule. Now maybe I need to be here more than a year to get to "real" event schedule or maybe I did not look at the right times, I do not know.

So instead of being a an f-ing tool. You may want to be a little nicer and correct someone. No you jump right to accusing.

As for "hearing" the track is closing that was on the Bullet and I heard it when I went to Firebird in the spring and fall.

But again I am an idiot who has "not" been to the track.

So Mr Mopar I hope you are happy.

Touchy are we!

My experiences with SIR go back to the first day the track was open.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6