Rutherfordton NC
B
BarryBum Offline OP
Fruit Of The Loon
BarryBum  Offline OP
Fruit Of The Loon
B

Rutherfordton NC
My 69 Dodge, manual brakes, has a bad master cylinder......I think. When you press the brake pedal, it goes all the way to the floor, if you pump it up, you have a little pedal but if you hold constant pressure it leaks down to the floorboard. There is no signs of leaking wheel cylinders, so it almost has to be the master cylinder. Can I upgrade to a new type (plastic type) or is there something better in the old style? And when I go to the parts store to get a different cylinder, what do I tell them it is for?

Last edited by BarryBum; 10/06/04 08:47 AM.
Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? [Re: BarryBum] #13354
10/06/04 09:05 AM
10/06/04 09:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Define better.

YOur stock one has many plusses. It fits without mods, it is "correct" if that matters to you, it is rebuldable and if you need to replace it or rebuild it in the future you don't have to remember what it came from.

A newer aluminum master cylinder has one benefit, it's lighter. It is not correct, rebuildable, or a bolt on.

Now on my 65 Cuda I have an aluminum M/C. Why? Because the correct, fits with no mods iron M/C is a single outlet one. Not safe. Since I have more than one MoPar I decided to run the same M/C on both. Simplify parts requirements.

Both of them do the same thing with equal ability, supply hydraulic pressure to work the brakes. Neither does it better than the other.

Steve

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? #13355
10/06/04 09:36 AM
10/06/04 09:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

A newer aluminum master cylinder has one benefit, it's lighter. It is not correct, rebuildable, or a bolt on.

The aluminum master may not be correct, but they are in fact rebuildable AND a bolt on, except it the case of having a single line/reservour master cylinder. An aluminum master cylinder is also less prone to internal corrosion due to the anodizing of the entire part- inside and out. This also just about eliminates any wear to the bore- all of the wear is on the rubber seals.

I sell the master cylinder adapter plates as well as aluminum master cylinders, so if you need help feel free to contact me.

GregZ@Magnumhp.com

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? #13356
10/06/04 10:29 AM
10/06/04 10:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The aluminum master may not be correct, but they are in fact rebuildable AND a bolt on,

That might be your opinion, but it isn't shared by the factory. Ever buy a reman aluminum M/C?

Quote:

I sell the master cylinder adapter plates as well as aluminum master cylinders, so if you need help feel free to contact me.

Hmm, ain't there a rule against selling on this forum? I think so.

Hmm, adapter needed, that ain't "bolt on". Guess by your definition a T5 is a bolt on, only need a few adaptors.

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? #13357
10/06/04 11:17 AM
10/06/04 11:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

The aluminum master may not be correct, but they are in fact rebuildable AND a bolt on,

That might be your opinion, but it isn't shared by the factory. Ever buy a reman aluminum M/C?

Yes, and as an auto tech I've also installed a lot of them.The factory also wants you to only use factory parts. We ALL do that right?

Quote:

Hmm, ain't there a rule against selling on this forum? I think so.

Yes, there is, that is why i gave the offer of HELP by contacting me OFF of this forum, which is permitted.

Quote:

Hmm, adapter needed, that ain't "bolt on". Guess by your definition a T5 is a bolt on, only need a few adaptors.

Bolting the adapter on with the new master cylinder is no harder than mearly changing the master cylinder. It's not like you have to cut, weld, or drill.

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? [Re: BarryBum] #13358
10/06/04 11:20 AM
10/06/04 11:20 AM
Western NY
19SuperBee70 Offline
super stock
19SuperBee70  Offline
super stock

Western NY
I run the aluminum master cylinder. It's a simple bolt on with the adapter. 4 bolts to tighten instead of 2. Works better, looks better, screw on tops, looks better...Nothing looks worse to me than a crappy, rusty, brake fluid stripped old cast iron master cylinder. And rebuildable??? how many miles do you put on your car? Will you ever really have to rebuild it?

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? [Re: BarryBum] #13359
10/06/04 11:28 AM
10/06/04 11:28 AM
Detroit boy in Saugerties, NY
BrianShaughnessy Offline
master
BrianShaughnessy  Offline
master

Detroit boy in Saugerties, NY
I run GregZ's MC and the adapter, etc. Works good.

Black Betty: '69 Charger RT: 440 6 pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana.
Sinnamon: '69 Charger RT: 440, 727, 4.30 8.75. High School Sweetheart.
El Grande: '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited.
Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? [Re: 19SuperBee70] #13360
10/06/04 11:42 AM
10/06/04 11:42 AM
Rutherfordton NC
B
BarryBum Offline OP
Fruit Of The Loon
BarryBum  Offline OP
Fruit Of The Loon
B

Rutherfordton NC
Hey 19SuperBee70, do you have any pictures of the aluminum MC? If I decide to go with the aluminum, what do I ask for at the parts house? Because as we all know, those guys have to know the year,model, engine, tranny type, color, what station the radio is on, interior color, tire pressure and your brothers, cousins, fathers, step brothers second cousin twice removed maiden name.....before they can give you any part for any car!!!!!

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? [Re: BarryBum] #13361
10/06/04 11:55 AM
10/06/04 11:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You'll need to ask for a m/c for a early 80's dodge truck with MANUAL brakes. You need to make sure it comes with the rubber pushrod retainer grommet. You also need to buy the reservour seperately. Most of the units with a res already on them will be iron .

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? #13362
10/06/04 12:13 PM
10/06/04 12:13 PM
Western NY
19SuperBee70 Offline
super stock
19SuperBee70  Offline
super stock

Western NY
here is a bad pic where you can barely make out how it looks in the car. Don't mind the dust. IMO it really cleans up the underhood area, especially with a battery relocation.

1194506-MVC-335S.JPG (184 downloads)
Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? [Re: 19SuperBee70] #13363
10/07/04 01:29 AM
10/07/04 01:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I used one for a 79 D100, bolt on, great pedal feel and only $18 at Autozone.

Re: Can you upgrade a 69 to a better Master Cylinder? #13364
10/07/04 09:54 AM
10/07/04 09:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Yes, there is, that is why i gave the offer of HELP by contacting me OFF of this forum, which is permitted.

Allow me to quote the rules to you moderator.

"Posts asking, "Where do I find...?" ARE NOT PARTS WANTED ADS! This forum has begun (once again) to turn into parts exchange central AND THAT'S NOT ITS PURPOSE!

NO MORE PARTS FOR SALE AS A RESPONSE!

E-mail & PM's are a discrete way to sell parts (yes, I've done it myself that way!) yet some of you guys are about as subtle as a kick upside the head.

UES YOUR HEADS (& E-mail!) OR RISK BEING BANNED FOR SELLING ON THE DISCUSSION BOARDS!

NO MORE PARTS ADS HERE! "

Looks like YOU are to use PM's or email to offer your services.

Quote:

Bolting the adapter on with the new master cylinder is no harder than mearly changing the master cylinder. It's not like you have to cut, weld, or drill.

No, you just double, or more, the cost for no real net benefit. So you save a pound or three in weight. Some benefit for the cost. Not to mention possible pushrod issues depending on your choice of M/C and manual vs power brakes.

There is no benefit other than weight savings. Unless you are looking to save weight it is cheaper and simpler to bolt on another 4 bolt M/C in this application. If you want a firmer pedal just bolt on a larger bore M/C. Don't forget with the 2 bolt setup you still need to tweak the lines to match the relocated outlets, not a big issue but not a "bolt on" like the 4 bolt M/C is.

Steve

PS: It is cheaper to make you own adapter. That's what I did and it cost me nothing since I had a piece of scrap plate aluminum of the proper thickness lying about.