NE Iowa
R
Road_RunnerSteve Offline OP
top fuel
Road_RunnerSteve  Offline OP
top fuel
R

NE Iowa
I'm making plans to start work on my '71 Demon and have a few questions.

1) I'm going to swap the original /6 Auto for a 408 stroker and auto. What are the advantages/disadvantages of swapping the K-member out vs. using engine swap mounts? I know of a V8 K-member from a '74 Dart that I can probably get pretty cheap.

2) What is the best engine wiring harness for this swap - original or repop?

3) I'm assuming I'll need to upgrade the stock radiator. What should I look for? I don't want to go aluminum - I want the engine bay looking close to what the factory would have done.

4) I also plan to swap in disc brakes from a '74 dart. The demon has manual brakes. Will I need to also convert to power brakes or will manual discs be OK?

5) I plan to relocate the rear springs and do a mini-tub. Would an early B 8 3/4 housing be a good option for the rear without narrowing? What size wheel and backspacing should work? (yes I'll measure before ordering anything)

Thanks in advance.

Re: '71 A-Body Questions [Re: Road_RunnerSteve] #1334267
11/12/12 12:35 PM
11/12/12 12:35 PM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
Quote:

1) I'm going to swap the original /6 Auto for a 408 stroker and auto. What are the advantages/disadvantages of swapping the K-member out vs. using engine swap mounts? I know of a V8 K-member from a '74 Dart that I can probably get pretty cheap.

3) I'm assuming I'll need to upgrade the stock radiator. What should I look for? I don't want to go aluminum - I want the engine bay looking close to what the factory would have done.

4) I also plan to swap in disc brakes from a '74 dart. The demon has manual brakes. Will I need to also convert to power brakes or will manual discs be OK?

5) I plan to relocate the rear springs and do a mini-tub. Would an early B 8 3/4 housing be a good option for the rear without narrowing? What size wheel and backspacing should work? (yes I'll measure before ordering anything)

Thanks in advance.

the 74 K frame uses spool mounts which are fail proof, and also uses the better sway bar design. Good upgrade. And Shumacher has repro mounts with poly inserts too.
The slant six harness can be reused, by shortening the coil wire or buy a repro harness for a small block.
I prefer manual brakes and manual discs on an A body work well
The rear track on A bodies never got wider and on Demons and Dusters, it loks too narrow. A B body 8 3/4 fits nice and makes the track width look better plus the added benefit of big bolt pattern to match you 74 discs up front. . Unless you plan on running deep,super wide back rims and then an A body 8 3/4 with aftermarket big bolt pattern axles will let you run wide rims, like 15x10's for that 70's look.

Re: '71 A-Body Questions [Re: demon] #1334268
11/12/12 01:19 PM
11/12/12 01:19 PM
NE Iowa
R
top fuel
top fuel
R

NE Iowa
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

the 74 K frame uses spool mounts which are fail proof, and also uses the better sway bar design. Good upgrade. And Shumacher has repro mounts with poly inserts too.
The slant six harness can be reused, by shortening the coil wire or buy a repro harness for a small block.
I prefer manual brakes and manual discs on an A body work well
The rear track on A bodies never got wider and on Demons and Dusters, it loks too narrow. A B body 8 3/4 fits nice and makes the track width look better plus the added benefit of big bolt pattern to match you 74 discs up front. . Unless you plan on running deep,super wide back rims and then an A body 8 3/4 with aftermarket big bolt pattern axles will let you run wide rims, like 15x10's for that 70's look.

Thanks. Would the radiator from the '74 dart be good option for cooling? As for the rear, I do actually plan to go 15x10s. As far as the right wheel/backspacing look goes, I should go with the narrower A-body housing then, right?

Re: '71 A-Body Questions [Re: Road_RunnerSteve] #1334269
11/12/12 02:35 PM
11/12/12 02:35 PM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
An A body 8 3/4 is the narrowest factory housing and with axles from an aftermarket supplier, such as Mancini Racing, you can have big bolt pattern. Just be aware you need backing plates and drums, brakes from any similar big bolt pattern vehicle too, such as your 74 parts car.
The rad would probably be fine although a 40 year old rad might need recoding and for that cost, a modern aluminum rad from US Radiator etc is cost effective.
14x10's were popular on Dusters and Demons back when you could buy huge 14" tires. 15x10's will fit well with the A body housing.
The factory discs like your 74 has make the front track wider again and so with the wide rear wheels it will look proportioned.

Re: '71 A-Body Questions [Re: demon] #1334270
11/12/12 02:36 PM
11/12/12 02:36 PM
NE Iowa
R
top fuel
top fuel
R

NE Iowa
Thanks for the help!