03/19/11 10:18 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

I really wanted to keep my car a flat white, but after seeing the cars in this thread and this car:

I am rethinking that color choice.

Wasn't that car blue before? with blue anodized rims (the same ones)...??? I had pictures ov that car, in blue, on my wall for years... Wicked car, either way.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? [Re: radar] #133086
03/19/11 11:19 AM
03/19/11 11:19 AM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
ChallengerGary Offline
top fuel
ChallengerGary  Offline
top fuel

Port Saint Lucie, FL
Quote:

My '73 swinger beater is John Deere 'Blitz Black'. I painted the car in my buddy's garage with high humidity and almost no prep work. The paint (which is a valspar enamel made for John Deere to paint suspension/frame parts) has held up AWESOME. It is still dark black after parking for years under the sun.

My '72 demon was painted 2K epoxy primer. I did a lot of body work and I wanted a bada$$ flat black car with the option to put real paint on top later. I wasn't sure if the blitz black would need to be sanded off to paint a regular base clear job. The demon looked great until I parked in the sun for a year- its really chalky, especially the roof.

The reason the enamel held up and the epoxy primer did not is simple. Primers do not have any UV stabilizers in them since they are meant to be topcoated with an actual paint. That is why, even though epoxy primer is not porous like some other primers, it is not a good idea to leave it exposed to the sun for any length of time. You are weakening the chemical makeup of the material and once it has been broken down like that, you'll need to re-primer it before painting if you want your paint job to hold up.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4