Moparts

Any one know how to paint flat black like this??

Posted By: 79machocharger

Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/06/08 08:26 PM

I was interested in this kind of flat black. Love the looks of the flat shine to it. Must be a black base with a flat clear on it. Any one on here ever painted a car and make the black come out like this? Any helpfull tips would be great.

Attached picture 4733431-3300759d.jpg

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/06/08 08:28 PM

photo of another car

Attached picture 4733433-2554246607_f39c25f91a.jpg

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/06/08 08:32 PM

Last pic of the kind of paint I'm looking for.

Attached picture 4733443-porsche_carrera_gt_flat_black.jpg
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/06/08 08:46 PM

Although a little dusty, how's this?

Posted By: MrAngry

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/06/08 10:07 PM

PPG and BASF both have a matte black. PPG uses a matte clear coat over the base matte finish while BASF has the clear mixed into the finish itself. I believe the Lexus in the pic uses BASF.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/06/08 10:24 PM

I really wanted to keep my car a flat white, but after seeing the cars in this thread and this car:

I am rethinking that color choice.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 12:05 AM

Cool, thanks Mike. I have a 69 charger and was thinking about doing it up this way. I wouldn't paint everything like in the last photo, just the body.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 12:36 AM

The paint manufacturers have flattening agents that one adds to the paint or clear to reduce the sheen to the level one wants. PPG has SU4985
Posted By: Fab64

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 02:01 AM

DuPont makes one, Hot Rod Black HHM-6400.
Posted By: 70dart360

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 12:54 PM

You can get rustoleum from Home Depot and mix it with denatured alcohol. Have a buddy here thats done quite a few old rods and muscle cars with it. It'll cost ya bout $50 at the most for everything ya need. Pretty durable too.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 01:08 PM

personally I don't get it, I mean take a nice car like one of those and paint it w/ a falt paint??? anyway for hoods and stripes I hear Hot-Rod black by Dupont works well. Really looks like somebody used a rattle can of primer on it.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 01:25 PM

I have been thinking about making my 66 into a rat rod or more likely a mo rod. The rustolium black sounds like a good idea to me.

Posted By: EV2CUDA

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 02:24 PM

BC/CC without the CC. Hot Rod magazine showed a few done that way a couple of issues ago. How about the 2 tones with flat on the bottom and gloss on top?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 03:44 PM

GTXKen, personally think turning (what appear to be?) an original red car that's in pretty nice shape? Into a flat black car would be a mistake, that car has potential in it's original color! If you do go with black at least leave it red under the hood, trunk, and jambs so it's easy to go back to red..

Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 04:38 PM

Quote:

GTXKen, personally think turning (what appear to be?) an original red car that's in pretty nice shape? Into a flat black car would be a mistake, that car has potential in it's original color! If you do go with black at least leave it red under the hood, trunk, and jambs so it's easy to go back to red..

It’s true that the outer panels are all pretty much rust free and straight except for some rust in the lower quarters but the condition of the outer panels is deceiving and hides some major problems. The inner fenders are rusted at the firewall and shock towers, the trans cross member and front floors are cheese cloth where they exist at all and the rear wheel wheels no longer meet the trunk pan. It was born a red 66 383 Satellite (drive train is long gone) that at some point someone mounted 67 hood scoops to and installed a GTX rear seatback.
Posted By: RalleyA12

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 05:10 PM

I believe Dupont makes a whole line of flat colors, not just black. Check with them.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 09:16 PM

Rustoleum Satin Black.

Attached picture 4735836-NewTruckPaint001.jpg
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 09:17 PM

Rustoleum Flat Black.

Attached picture 4735838-Ben\'sCar4.jpg
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 09:32 PM

When thinking of other colors, this car comes to mind.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/07/08 11:18 PM

wow, I'm impressed with how good that Rustoleum Satin black looks. Looks pretty close to the same sheen of the pics I put on this post.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/08/08 06:30 AM

That is is so very very bad.......

Quote:

Posted By: AlexP

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/08/08 06:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is just plain mean looking.

I like it.
Posted By: Brute

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/08/08 10:21 AM

Man, it may not be a mopar but that is one bad, bad machine. I followed the build, and that car is freakin awesome. I'm glad they stuck with that paint scheme even though a bunch of people wrote in complaining about it.
Quote:

When thinking of other colors, this car comes to mind.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/08/08 04:40 PM

Yeah I always wondered what a RR would look like in the same color combo.
Posted By: CUDAJAS

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/08/08 04:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah I always wondered what a RR would look like in the same color combo.

one word...wicked
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 04:01 PM

PPG's DPLF90 epoxy primer has the same "look".

Attached picture 4739567-MaxHood1.jpg

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 07:45 PM

This is what made me think of doing my charger this way. Saw it at Carlisle and loved the paint.

Attached File

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 07:56 PM

Quote:

I don't know if epoxy primer is the same but Primers tend to be porous and allow air and water to come in contact with the metal. Not enough protection for the metal underneath.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 08:03 PM

I bought a gallon of black base and a gallon of flat clear and I'm going to give it a try this weekend on my 69 charger tub plus doors. I will be putting the vinyl top on it as well. Maybe it'll look something like this when I get done.

Attached picture 4740000-bad.jpg

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 08:09 PM

Just make sure to post pictures when you are done!

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 08:10 PM

that 69 makes me i want mine back........
Posted By: bugsydog

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 08:14 PM

what color is the camero

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 08:23 PM

Quote:

what color is the camero

You can do a search for

F-Bomb Camaro

There is a lot of videos and internet info on it.

They went thru several shades to get to what they ended up with in the end.

Here is the story on it.

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/fbomb/hrdp_0704_1973_chevrolet_camaro_paint_body/index.html

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/09/08 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is just plain mean looking.

I like it.

If the Devil went down to Georgia lookin' for a soul to steal.... He'd be driving in this .
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/10/08 01:42 AM

The first few cars have a higher matte sheen than the flat black shown on this B-body. It looks quit a bit different. Better I think. A little red accent color would look nice on it. Perhaps, a thin red stripe around the tires?
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/10/08 01:54 AM

someone makes a hot rod black that is exactly what your looking for. the primers and spray bombs won't hold up to the sun very well.
Posted By: pishta

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/10/08 03:38 AM

My first 65 Barracuda was flat black! It wasnt primer because it was smooth, not like a chalkboard or slate. It looked pretty cool with its chrome bumpers and rims and stainless strip over the rear fenders, hi-jacker air shocks in the back 80's style to clear the lip over the 10 inch wide tires. Hilarious! I painted the top of my 57 Fairlane in primer white and that would get dirty overnight, it felt like a chalkboard and was a dirt magnet.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 12:45 PM

I said I'd post some pics of it painted and here they are. Still waiting on the decals. I decided to go with a satin base with a cheap satin clear. This paint job is just temporary while I save up to buy a couple of new quarter panels for it next year at Carlisle. I dont want to have hardly any mud in, and with the new quarter panels I wont have much. Once I get every thing i need I'll do the car up gloss black base clear. I figured I have fun driving it around like this for a while. I also ordered up special made black and white general lee decals for it, vectors, push bar, black the windows out, electronic dumps, 464hp and 515tq. 440 motor ready to install, dana 60, hemi 4 speed, tti headers, tti 3" exhaust, all new interior, power windows, new bumpers and much more. I think the car will look pretty neat done up like this and will be different. My plate on the car will be "evil-01"

Attached picture 4767630-DSCN2190.JPG

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 12:50 PM

another pic

Attached picture 4767642-DSCN2194.JPG

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 12:53 PM

rear shot

Attached picture 4767647-DSCN2192.JPG

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 12:56 PM

Here's what gave me the idea to do a black one up, except mine is satin black and with only black and white decals. I cant wait to see what it's going to look like, I'm either going to like it or not . The good thing about it is there decals and they can come back off pretty easy.

Attached picture 4767654-29666-3.jpg

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 01:11 PM

Here's what the decals will look like

Attached picture 4767680-blacklogolee.JPG
Posted By: 1BAD68

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 01:45 PM

Thats gonna be awesome!
Just one suggestion... dont put wheel well trim on it.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 03:11 PM

The decals will be matte black and white. The sunroof should look pretty cool with the big flag on the roof.

Attached picture 4767905-DSCN2193.JPG
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 03:59 PM

Harley-Davidson is doing it on some recent motorcycles. One is the Cross-Bones.
There may be a factory paint and technical spec on the paint.
Posted By: mikepar

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/23/08 08:05 PM

Im kindofa do it yourselfer with some occassional paint experience.
I did my 66 dart gt convertable in NAPA epoxy primer in flat black and man she turned out nice, so say the compliments i git almost every time it leaves the garage.
I do plan on spraying it with a flat paint next year.. This color is the sh...t man.
Posted By: kmfdm

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/25/08 02:22 AM

Being a total paint noob, how hard is it to spray a flat color. I would assume its easier than a normal paint job, but I'm curious.
Posted By: hp383

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/25/08 07:55 AM

This is simple Implement enamel in a semi gloss black $19 per gallon.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/25/08 01:36 PM

still don't understand why somebody would go thru all the trouble of body work, prep and paint something that looks like it's in primer. Then re-assemble the car. I mean they did it back in the day because the cars were whooped and they needed a quick coat of paint. To each his own I guess.
Posted By: 440PURSUIT

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/25/08 02:00 PM

Check it out....Here's the stuff!

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

I have bought a gallon of Tangerine Flatz and didn't use it when I went too far with a resto and panel replacement. I get Jeffs point, but if your going for a concept: GO FOR IT!

I may do the blown 69 Coronet with the Tangerine.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 10/25/08 03:12 PM

Quote:

Check it out....Here's the stuff!

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

I have bought a gallon of Tangerine Flatz and didn't use it when I went too far with a resto and panel replacement. I get Jeffs point, but if your going for a concept: GO FOR IT!

I may do the blown 69 Coronet with the Tangerine.

Chris go for old school on the 'net..heavy metal flake tangerine and the big bug catcher coming out of the hood.

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 07/19/09 04:19 PM

updated pic of project

Attached picture 5361975-DSCN2775.JPG
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 07/19/09 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know if epoxy primer is the same but Primers tend to be porous and allow air and water to come in contact with the metal. Not enough protection for the metal underneath.

epoxy primer wont do that. but it will get chalky in the sun and all. they make an entire line of flat paints now that hold up to the sun
Posted By: racerx

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/18/11 12:53 PM

Quote:

I bought a gallon of black base and a gallon of flat clear and I'm going to give it a try this weekend on my 69 charger tub plus doors. I will be putting the vinyl top on it as well. Maybe it'll look something like this when I get done.

This car is killer looking any more pic's
Posted By: radar

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/18/11 05:39 PM

My '73 swinger beater is John Deere 'Blitz Black'. I painted the car in my buddy's garage with high humidity and almost no prep work. The paint (which is a valspar enamel made for John Deere to paint suspension/frame parts) has held up AWESOME. It is still dark black after parking for years under the sun.

My '72 demon was painted 2K epoxy primer. I did a lot of body work and I wanted a bada$$ flat black car with the option to put real paint on top later. I wasn't sure if the blitz black would need to be sanded off to paint a regular base clear job. The demon looked great until I parked in the sun for a year- its really chalky, especially the roof.
Posted By: rss

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/18/11 05:44 PM

Quote:

updated pic of project

SWEET!!!
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/18/11 06:45 PM

This is what those cars look like when you turn out the lights.

Attached picture 6536558-Black.jpg
Posted By: beatgoeson

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/18/11 07:49 PM

Really kind of looks like an AMD or Goodmark sheetmetal car.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/18/11 08:15 PM

Quote:

updated pic of project

Interesting....

Anyway, I believe the technical term for the look you are trying to obtain is "satin". Try House of Colors or any major paint distributor. Everyone is painting the hot rods this way now....just a temporary fad. I agree with a previous post, the cash it takes to do body work and then lay a matte finish to it. It is sure a gamble.
Posted By: feets

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/18/11 08:39 PM

Mercedes released a "Night Edition" SL550 in what they called Designo Satin Black.

There was a follow up with a satin white color. The white car had a pearl in the paint. It looked pretty good outside in the sun.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/19/11 02:18 PM

Quote:

I really wanted to keep my car a flat white, but after seeing the cars in this thread and this car:

I am rethinking that color choice.

Wasn't that car blue before? with blue anodized rims (the same ones)...??? I had pictures ov that car, in blue, on my wall for years... Wicked car, either way.
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: Any one know how to paint flat black like this?? - 03/19/11 03:19 PM

Quote:

My '73 swinger beater is John Deere 'Blitz Black'. I painted the car in my buddy's garage with high humidity and almost no prep work. The paint (which is a valspar enamel made for John Deere to paint suspension/frame parts) has held up AWESOME. It is still dark black after parking for years under the sun.

My '72 demon was painted 2K epoxy primer. I did a lot of body work and I wanted a bada$$ flat black car with the option to put real paint on top later. I wasn't sure if the blitz black would need to be sanded off to paint a regular base clear job. The demon looked great until I parked in the sun for a year- its really chalky, especially the roof.

The reason the enamel held up and the epoxy primer did not is simple. Primers do not have any UV stabilizers in them since they are meant to be topcoated with an actual paint. That is why, even though epoxy primer is not porous like some other primers, it is not a good idea to leave it exposed to the sun for any length of time. You are weakening the chemical makeup of the material and once it has been broken down like that, you'll need to re-primer it before painting if you want your paint job to hold up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums