Print Thread
Holley 650 rebuild tips #1327387
10/28/12 03:44 PM
10/28/12 03:44 PM
Texas
mkbubs Offline OP
mkbubs  Offline OP

Texas
i am going to rebuild my holley 650, does anyone have any tips on rebuilding one. Never done it before and i would like to do it right. Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

Re: Holley 650 rebuild tips [Re: mkbubs] #1327388
10/28/12 10:57 PM
10/28/12 10:57 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
nothing is trick, just be careful what you use to pry the sections apart if stuck so as to not mar any metal surfaces. Save old gaskets & compare old to new so you get correct matches. I believe the Holley blue non stick gaskets are the good ones. Most people tighten the jets too tight and the power valve too little. Make sure the gasket surfaces are CLEAN as some are below fuel level. Use a drill bit(s) inside an inverted float bowl to set the dry fuel level. I like to lightly lube all screws for ease of reassembly. Lightly lube the O ring on the needle/seat assy so it doesn't tear as it screws down into the bowl. The float level hex nut on top of the bowl has a gasket on either side of it. after soaking, spray the air bleeds on the main body and the metering body with brake kleen or starting fluid. Blow all passages out well with shop air. Dont forget to take the plastic cam off of the throttle shaft before you soak it

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Holley 650 rebuild tips [Re: RapidRobert] #1327389
10/29/12 02:59 PM
10/29/12 02:59 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

nothing is trick, just be careful what you use to pry the sections apart if stuck so as to not mar any metal surfaces. Save old gaskets & compare old to new so you get correct matches. I believe the Holley blue non stick gaskets are the good ones. Most people tighten the jets too tight and the power valve too little. Make sure the gasket surfaces are CLEAN as some are below fuel level. Use a drill bit(s) inside an inverted float bowl to set the dry fuel level. I like to lightly lube all screws for ease of reassembly. Lightly lube the O ring on the needle/seat assy so it doesn't tear as it screws down into the bowl. The float level hex nut on top of the bowl has a gasket on either side of it. after soaking, spray the air bleeds on the main body and the metering body with brake kleen or starting fluid. Blow all passages out well with shop air. Dont forget to take the plastic cam off of the throttle shaft before you soak it

100%. taking it apart is the tough part. try not to completely wreck the gaskets so you can get the EXACT on back in there. the kits come with a bunch for different applications. clean, clean and clean again. starting fluid in an aerosol can or spray carb cleaner will be your best friend. DO make sure to have a diagram.

Re: Holley 650 rebuild tips [Re: mkbubs] #1327390
11/01/12 01:12 AM
11/01/12 01:12 AM
Texas
mkbubs Offline OP
mkbubs  Offline OP

Texas
here is another question, the carb is going on a 440, not sure what the coompression is due to the guy i bought it from had the heads and block machined. my question is what size jets should i put back into the carb? the car is not a race car, just somethiing to cruise in. any help would be greatly appreciated.