10/23/12 10:59 PM
10/23/12 10:59 PM
Illinois
T
Tinmans21 Offline OP
Tinmans21  Offline OP
T

Illinois
I just got a 87 diplomat salon an was wondering what had to come off an what was needed to take all emissions smog a/c an egr stuff. Any advice an thanks in advance

Re: Diplomat emissions/smog [Re: Tinmans21] #1325262
10/24/12 07:10 PM
10/24/12 07:10 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'm assuming 318/360 SB. Not sure if '87 has lean burn or the electronic spark control I think it's called. If that is what you have and are trying to get away from then you would need an electronic dist with vac adv which'll have the mechanical weights and an ECU and wire it up according to the diagram in the archives. If the carb has a ported vac port then plumb that directly to the dist otherwise if not you will have to use manifold vacuum and tune the dist accordingly. More info on what you have and are wanting to do

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Diplomat emissions/smog [Re: Tinmans21] #1325263
10/24/12 08:40 PM
10/24/12 08:40 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

I just got a 87 diplomat salon an was wondering what had to come off an what was needed to take all emissions smog a/c an egr stuff. Any advice an thanks in advance

you will have to block the injection tube on the ends of manifolds to remove the cross tube and check valve.

you can cut the tube about 1/2" from flange on the end that bolts to the manifold and fill with copper rtv,then let it cure. bolt the 2 plugs back on the manifolds with stock gasket and retaining bolt.

when you remove all the stock pullys,a/c comp,smog pump,brackets you can bolt on the non a/c pullys and non a/c alt brackets.

power steering pump should have its own 3 brackets a/c or non a/c.

if it has the 100 amp alt. you may just want to keep the stock set up,the a/c comp in off mod is very little drag on the engine. it is not as pretty but hard to beat in stock specs.

you can remove the egr valve and add a stock block off plate or just knock the valve off and leave the base plate.

if it is lean burn,you need to swap in a points dist which will be one wire to hook up to the stock wire harness at the coil. or do the elect dist conversion adding a ecu and wires. for elect dist.

next would be ditch the feed back carb,replace with a manual carb like a q-jet if it has the 4-v intake. depends on what stock carb you have if it will work modofried. ditch all the vac lines but the ones needed for carb/dist.

next is ditch or hollowing out the cats for more flow and no emissions

that should get you well on the way,then a little tuning to dial the manual carb/dist/timing together.

all though this is my truck it had all that crap at one time.this is what it should look like when you are done stripping it down to non emiss and non a/c.

did the same thing on the 88 440 truck engine in my sig pic below.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 10/24/12 08:45 PM.