Print Thread
Engine Start Up Issues #1308935
09/22/12 08:43 PM
09/22/12 08:43 PM
R
ROADRCR Offline OP
ROADRCR  Offline OP
R

Started up my 416 stroker SB for the first time and within 45 seconds the foil thermal insulation around header tubes (which were to protect the starter) caught on fire and had I to shut the engine off. Although the engine started immediately I heard some valve noise also. Now I have questions 1. What would make the headers so hot that the foil wrap would catch on fire? 2.Now that the lifters ( hydraulic) are pumped up which is the best procedure for readjustment?3. I noticed that even though the engine ran for only 45 seconds the radiator cap was hot to the touch although the radiator itself was not hot. I have an aluminum Rad with a 16 inch pusher electric fan and an electric water pump. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A friend who was helping me says that the hot header situation is normal for new tight motors and I am being too cautious but i don't want to attempt to restart the motor until I feel I understand the problem.

Re: Engine Start Up Issues [Re: ROADRCR] #1308936
09/23/12 01:42 PM
09/23/12 01:42 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
You'll get more responses in the Q & A catagory...

What is your timing set at, initial and total? This can affect header tube temperature.

It takes a while for the lifters fully pump up and quiet down. -OR- Do you think there was something wrong with the initial adjustment that you need to re-adjust them?

Only that fabric header wrap can stand that kind of heat. Better to heat shield the starter if it's that close.

Do your electric pump and fans work? Did you drill a small hole in the thermostat to bleed the air out of the system?

Fire it back up and break it in....without the fire this time.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)