09/30/08 11:56 AM
09/30/08 11:56 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline OP
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline OP
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
I would like to open up conversation on the differences between Chrysler muscle car era stock cast pistons and new off the shelf Federal Mogul OE replacement cast pistons. This stems from what I’ve heard and things I’ve read in older publications that the OE Chrysler Autothermic W/Steel Strut cast pistons are more durable than aftermarket offerings. And certainly, I’ve known original Chrysler pistons of that era to take lots of abuse without issue. So does this dated information still hold water today? Would aftermarket cast pistons of today be a downgrade to original equipment cast pistons of old?

With modern manufacturing and materials, I’m wondering if the new Federal Mogul units would be just as good as the cast pistons Chrysler once had available?

Below is a quote from a Summit Racing Equipment description on the Federal Mogul cast pistons:

“Federal Mogul cast pistons are made from high-quality aluminum alloys and feature a carefully controlled casting, heat-treating, and CNC-machining process. And because they're designed and manufactured to exceed OEM specs, they'll provide improved reliability, performance, and a long service life.”

I know many will say to buy a good hypereutectic or forged piston and call it a day. But for a lack of piston choices for a mild street 383 and the issue of attaining the compression ratio of 9.5:1 – 10:1 without tons of milling, I’m now starting to consider an OE type cast flat-top piston as a viable option.

Any comments on this?

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130130
09/30/08 12:06 PM
09/30/08 12:06 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
the problem with the cast pistons for the 383 are the LOW compression heights compared to the OEM originals.

I went with the KB-400 dome and achieved 9.4:1 with a set of 906 heads cleaned up .005

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130131
09/30/08 12:11 PM
09/30/08 12:11 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
If the current Federals are being made in the same place now that the speed pro forged versions are that quote from them is a bunch of knowing what I know now about the the current new stock of speed pro forged pistons , but then again they will be great for NOT having to overbore a block that only needs a rehone and the taper is still in spec

Otherwise I'm with Dave , the current offereings for 383s AND 400's are completely OUTDATED , as are most of the current offerings in forged units ..

YMMV .

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: JohnRR] #130132
09/30/08 12:13 PM
09/30/08 12:13 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

If the current Federals are being made in the same place now that the speed pro forged versions are that quote from them is a bunch of knowing what I know now about the the current new stock of speed pro forged pistons , but then again they will be great for NOT having to overbore a block that only needs a rehone and the taper is still in spec

Otherwise I'm with Dave , the current offereings for 383s AND 400's are completely OUTDATED , as are most of the current offerings in forged units ..

YMMV .

DING DING DING.....lol

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: DJVCuda] #130133
09/30/08 12:32 PM
09/30/08 12:32 PM
near Alexandria, VA
G
Gas_Bandit Offline
master
Gas_Bandit  Offline
master
G

near Alexandria, VA
Other than poor selection for 383s, what exactly is wrong with the inexpensive sealed power/federal/speed pro pistons? They are extremely widely used (especially in the SBC stuff I play with) and I have never heard of a problem with them.

2003 Mercury Marauder, 34k miles, 3.73s and custom flash tuned
1981 Camaro, 350 w/ Holley Stealth Ram MPEFI, Sportsman heads, roller cam, self-burned chips, wideband O2
1983 Firebird TA
1993 Saturn SL2 83k
Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: Gas_Bandit] #130134
09/30/08 01:09 PM
09/30/08 01:09 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Other than poor selection for 383s, what exactly is wrong with the inexpensive sealed power/federal/speed pro pistons? They are extremely widely used (especially in the SBC stuff I play with) and I have never heard of a problem with them.

My local shop did a 440 for a board member here , he swapped in a set of brand new 6pk replacements for a set of the 2266's that sit .100 in the hole he originally had this shop install, that motor was fresh he should have been able to check weights to confirm they were the same , which they usually are , and rehone the block , fresh rings and go . the pistons were 45 grams heavier ... rebalance rotating assembly .... and when measured they were EXACTLY the size of the overbore , where the clearance is usually built into the piston ... rehone the block oversize and buy file fit rings to get the proper end gaps.

I can't remember the exact story of who sold what but the pistons are another quality product from the land that gave us crab rangoon.

The plus is I have 2 engines that are at an odd oversize after honing with a torque plate when they weren't originally and these should be a cost effective way to freshen these engines

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: JohnRR] #130135
09/30/08 01:13 PM
09/30/08 01:13 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
i'll say it again, the biggest problem I had was the fact that the pistons had no compression - you'll have an 8.0:1 motor if you do the math.

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: DJVCuda] #130136
09/30/08 03:13 PM
09/30/08 03:13 PM
near Alexandria, VA
G
Gas_Bandit Offline
master
Gas_Bandit  Offline
master
G

near Alexandria, VA
Quote:

My local shop did a 440 for a board member here , he swapped in a set of brand new 6pk replacements for a set of the 2266's that sit .100 in the hole he originally had this shop install, that motor was fresh he should have been able to check weights to confirm they were the same , which they usually are , and rehone the block , fresh rings and go . the pistons were 45 grams heavier ... rebalance rotating assembly .... and when measured they were EXACTLY the size of the overbore , where the clearance is usually built into the piston ... rehone the block oversize and buy file fit rings to get the proper end gaps.

I can't remember the exact story of who sold what but the pistons are another quality product from the land that gave us crab rangoon.

The plus is I have 2 engines that are at an odd oversize after honing with a torque plate when they weren't originally and these should be a cost effective way to freshen these engines

what brand pistons were these? Even the cheapie pistons will have the size on the box, which even with cheapie sealed power pistons is undersize to set up normal running clearance to fit a std size or std over bore. I have never heard of a piston being made, say 4.0000 for a 4.0000 bore. Something ain't right there.

2003 Mercury Marauder, 34k miles, 3.73s and custom flash tuned
1981 Camaro, 350 w/ Holley Stealth Ram MPEFI, Sportsman heads, roller cam, self-burned chips, wideband O2
1983 Firebird TA
1993 Saturn SL2 83k
Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: JohnRR] #130137
09/30/08 05:24 PM
09/30/08 05:24 PM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline OP
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline OP
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Yes, for the longest time I was set on the KB-400 domes. But then I heard to avoid domes if possible as they mess with flame travel when compared to a flat-top pistons. Then I thought about using the KB-162s, but then I saw the following article in Mopar Muscle Magazine:

“The stock #906 heads were milled .020-inches to compensate for the thicker replacement head gasket, thereby reducing chamber volume from the stock 87 cc to 83 cc. The deep valve notches in the KB pistons (6 cc) required to run long-duration high-lift cams, coupled with the 84cc open-chamber heads and the 383's short stroke, gave us a compression ratio of 9.2:1. This compares to 9.7:1, which would have been achieved with stock-style flat-top pistons with no valve reliefs.”

According to that, the deep valve reliefs give up a half point of compression. Knowing this in addition to not needing valve reliefs with my stock magnum cam, I started looking at other possible flat-top pistons which consists of either using stock pistons or the Federal/Speed Pro slugs.

Also, would a shorter compression distance mean more or less compression? Wouldn’t the lower number mean that the piston sits higher in the bore?

KB-162 - Compression Distance (in): 1.908 in.

Federal Mogul #STL-366NP30 - Compression Distance (in): 1.848 in.

Quote:

If the current Federals are being made in the same place now that the speed pro forged versions are that quote from them is a bunch of !*&$ knowing what I know now about the the current new stock of speed pro forged pistons , but then again they will be great for NOT having to overbore a block that only needs a rehone and the taper is still in spec

Johnrr, could you elaborate a bit more on this? What can you tell me about the current stock of Federals? Just curious...

So at this point, it seems that if given the choice between Federal Mogul cast and a stock Mopar HP pistons, the stock units would be a better choice.

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130138
09/30/08 05:54 PM
09/30/08 05:54 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
in the past we used stock cast Mopar pistons in our circle stock cars(SB) & no failures but with the inadequate valve reliefs/compression height I would choose different pistons now & I prefer 1/16" rings but will probably settle on KB's.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130139
09/30/08 08:24 PM
09/30/08 08:24 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

Also, would a shorter compression distance mean more or less compression? Wouldn’t the lower number mean that the piston sits higher in the bore?

a 1.908 piston is taller then a 1.848 piston.
therefore it will have more compression then the shorter one.

if your looking for every last 1000th of a horsepower a dome might block it, otherwise its them or the sealed power forged flat tops and then have NO valve reliefs... I went with the domes because of the reliefs.

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: DJVCuda] #130140
10/01/08 06:34 AM
10/01/08 06:34 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline OP
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline OP
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

if your looking for every last 1000th of a horsepower a dome might block it, otherwise its them or the sealed power forged flat tops and then have NO valve reliefs... I went with the domes because of the reliefs.

Okay, I see how the compression distance of the piston computes now. That is good to know and definitely moves the Federal Mogul pistons off the already short list of options. Does anyone know off hand what the compression distance is of the stock HP pistons for comparison sake? Also, is the compression distance measurement the distance between the centerline of the piston pin bore and the top of the piston?

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: Gas_Bandit] #130141
10/01/08 08:04 AM
10/01/08 08:04 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

what brand pistons were these? Even the cheapie pistons will have the size on the box, which even with cheapie sealed power pistons is undersize to set up normal running clearance to fit a std size or std over bore. I have never heard of a piston being made, say 4.0000 for a 4.0000 bore. Something ain't right there.

those were SPEED PRO FORGED .

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130142
10/01/08 08:06 AM
10/01/08 08:06 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Okay, I see how the compression distance of the piston computes now. That is good to know and definitely moves the Federal Mogul pistons off the already short list of options. Does anyone know off hand what the compression distance is of the stock HP pistons for comparison sake? Also, is the compression distance measurement the distance between the centerline of the piston pin bore and the top of the piston?

what stock HP piston ???

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130143
10/01/08 08:08 AM
10/01/08 08:08 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Yes, for the longest time I was set on the KB-400 domes. But then I heard to avoid domes if possible as they mess with flame travel when compared to a flat-top pistons. Then I thought about using the KB-162s, but then I saw the following article in Mopar Muscle Magazine:

“The stock #906 heads were milled .020-inches to compensate for the thicker replacement head gasket, thereby reducing chamber volume from the stock 87 cc to 83 cc. The deep valve notches in the KB pistons (6 cc) required to run long-duration high-lift cams, coupled with the 84cc open-chamber heads and the 383's short stroke, gave us a compression ratio of 9.2:1. This compares to 9.7:1, which would have been achieved with stock-style flat-top pistons with no valve reliefs.”

According to that, the deep valve reliefs give up a half point of compression. Knowing this in addition to not needing valve reliefs with my stock magnum cam, I started looking at other possible flat-top pistons which consists of either using stock pistons or the Federal/Speed Pro slugs.

Quote:

If the current Federals are being made in the same place now that the speed pro forged versions are that quote from them is a bunch of !*&$ knowing what I know now about the the current new stock of speed pro forged pistons , but then again they will be great for NOT having to overbore a block that only needs a rehone and the taper is still in spec

Johnrr, could you elaborate a bit more on this? What can you tell me about the current stock of Federals? Just curious...

So at this point, it seems that if given the choice between Federal Mogul cast and a stock Mopar HP pistons, the stock units would be a better choice.

I can't , I have no information on them , only on speed pro forgeds that are now being made overseas

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: JohnRR] #130144
10/01/08 08:15 AM
10/01/08 08:15 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline OP
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline OP
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what stock HP piston ???

1968, 1969, 1970, and 1971 383 HP Engines. I may be wrong, but I’ve been assuming all these were the same dimensionally?

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130145
10/01/08 08:23 AM
10/01/08 08:23 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what stock HP piston ???

1968, 1969, 1970, and 1971 383 HP Engines. I may be wrong, but I’ve been assuming all these were the same dimensionally?

I think that at least for '71 the CH was lower due to lower compression

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: CompSyn] #130146
10/01/08 08:24 AM
10/01/08 08:24 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Yes you are wrong , 68/69 is the same , 70 and 71 are different than 68/69 , at least with a LOWER advertised ratio from the factory.

The advertised ratio for the 68/69 is 10.0 but if you do the math on how it was actually delivered its closer to 9.3 , you have to build a 68/69 to NHRA blueprint specs to get the advertised 10.0, that would included milling the block .038ish to get the piston .020 above the deck (using the forged 2315) , run a steel shim gasket and cut a 906 down to 79.5cc from about 90cc ...

There is NO direct replacement for the 68/69 piston that I have yet to find , the closest is the Speedpro FORGED 2315 at .012 SHORTER in compression height . This piston is probably a closer replacement for a 67 down or a 70 71 , but it's NOT for a 68/69 . The 383 and the 400 are the REDHEADED stepchilds of MOPAR and POORLY supported by aftermarket piston manufacturers.

If you did a search in the Q+A you would find the info you seek as we have hashed this out a few times .

Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: JohnRR] #130147
10/01/08 08:33 AM
10/01/08 08:33 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
I just looked at NHRA specs ...

68 piston .021 ABOVE the deck for both the 290(2bbl), 300, 330 and 335HP

69 Piston .021 ABOVE the deck for the 290(2bbl), 330, and 335HP

70 is .004 in the hole rated at 9.5 compression and 335 HP

71 is .019 in the hole rated at 300 HP

Last edited by Johnrr; 10/01/08 08:36 AM.
Re: Factory Cast Pistons [Re: JohnRR] #130148
10/01/08 08:36 AM
10/01/08 08:36 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline OP
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline OP
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

Yes you are wrong , 68/69 is the same , 70 and 71 are different than 68/69 , at least with a LOWER advertised ratio from the factory.

The advertised ratio for the 68/69 is 10.0 but if you do the math on how it was actually delivered its closer to 9.3 , you have to build a 68/69 to NHRA blueprint specs to get the advertised 10.0, that would included milling the block .038ish to get the piston .020 above the deck (using the forged 2315) , run a steel shim gasket and cut a 906 down to 79.5cc from about 90cc ...

There is NO direct replacement for the 68/69 piston that I have yet to find , the closest is the Speedpro FORGED 2315 at .012 SHORTER in compression height . This piston is probably a closer replacement for a 67 down or a 70 71 , but it's NOT for a 68/69 . The 383 and the 400 are the REDHEADED stepchilds of MOPAR and POORLY supported by aftermarket piston manufacturers.

If you did a search in the Q+A you would find the info you seek as we have hashed this out a few times .

Thanks Johnrr. This is a great help. Also, I know I've seen many posts on this topic before, but couldn't find what I was looking for using the search option.

Thanks again!