Seattle, WA
R
rss Offline OP
super stock
rss  Offline OP
super stock
R

Seattle, WA
Guess I should have known better considering the car has been sitting for nearly 20 years, but yesterday I crawled under the dash and hooked up my speedo again. It worked 20 years ago and seemed to be OK the few times I ran the car on blocks over the years.

So this morning I decide to take the Cuda to work since its a really nice day. Driving through the neigborhood all is well until I hit a small stretch of straigh open road and get her up to about 40 mph. All of the sudden the car starts making noise and scares the $&%t out of me. After a moment I figure out that its the speedo. It works fine up till about 40- 45 then starts making noise and the needle jumps all over the place.

So the noise is annoying, but I push on towards work. Eventually I make it out to the interstate and get her up to about 60 and the needle is jumping all over the place and the next thing I know the needle has broken in half and the pointer is laying in the bottom of the speedo.

So finally I get to the question.

Is a speedo rebuild something I can do myself or is this best left to the professionals. I've got a little bit of experience messing around with gauge clusters (rebuilt my tach, gauges and clock with stuff from RT Engineering) but haven't monkeyed with a speedo yet. Are there replacement parts readily available? I see that RT Eng sells needles and some knobs but don't seem to carry bushings or other internals.

Any speedo masters out there that can diagnose my problem based on the description above?

Thanks

Re: Speedometer Rebuild - DIY?????? [Re: rss] #129488
09/29/08 02:43 PM
09/29/08 02:43 PM
US of A
A38s! Offline
master
A38s!  Offline
master

US of A
I'n not the speedo Jedi (or Jedi in a Speedo).

Remove, clean and lube your cable. Inspect for kinks, burns and other damage. Replace as necessary. Speedo likely fine.

Check the CABLE before you go through any additional procedure/expense.

Last edited by Chief-Kikerdown; 09/29/08 03:30 PM.
Re: Speedometer Rebuild - DIY?????? [Re: rss] #129489
09/29/08 03:11 PM
09/29/08 03:11 PM
Sacramento, CA
K
Kirk_Ingram Offline
super street
Kirk_Ingram  Offline
super street
K

Sacramento, CA
Quote:

Guess I should have known better considering the car has been sitting for nearly 20 years, but yesterday I crawled under the dash and hooked up my speedo again. It worked 20 years ago and seemed to be OK the few times I ran the car on blocks over the years.

So this morning I decide to take the Cuda to work since its a really nice day. Driving through the neigborhood all is well until I hit a small stretch of straigh open road and get her up to about 40 mph. All of the sudden the car starts making noise and scares the $&%t out of me. After a moment I figure out that its the speedo. It works fine up till about 40- 45 then starts making noise and the needle jumps all over the place.

So the noise is annoying, but I push on towards work. Eventually I make it out to the interstate and get her up to about 60 and the needle is jumping all over the place and the next thing I know the needle has broken in half and the pointer is laying in the bottom of the speedo.

So finally I get to the question.

Is a speedo rebuild something I can do myself or is this best left to the professionals. I've got a little bit of experience messing around with gauge clusters (rebuilt my tach, gauges and clock with stuff from RT Engineering) but haven't monkeyed with a speedo yet. Are there replacement parts readily available? I see that RT Eng sells needles and some knobs but don't seem to carry bushings or other internals.

Any speedo masters out there that can diagnose my problem based on the description above?

Thanks

The speedo in my 67 did the same thing, right around 40 mph. I replaced the cable, no difference. I removed the speedo from the cluster, snipped off about a 1" piece of the old cable put it in a cordless drill and spun the speedo. Sure enough starts whinning and goes crazy above 45 mph. I'm sure you can try this also even though your needle is now broken off. It's an internal problem, not the needle itself.
If rebuild parts are cheap enough, give a shot at rebuilding it yourself. Otherwize expect to pay $150-$200 for a rebuild service (and certify).

And yes, that awful noise FREAKED me out too!

Death or Glory...it's just another story.
Re: Speedometer Rebuild - DIY?????? [Re: Kirk_Ingram] #129490
09/29/08 03:39 PM
09/29/08 03:39 PM
Seattle, WA
R
rss Offline OP
super stock
rss  Offline OP
super stock
R

Seattle, WA
OK, I'll check the cable, but since I broke the speedo needle I guess I'll be pulling the speedo out of the cluster regardless.

Kirk, did you have your speedo rebuilt professionally, and if so, who did the work?

Re: Speedometer Rebuild - DIY?????? [Re: rss] #129491
09/29/08 04:42 PM
09/29/08 04:42 PM
Sacramento, CA
K
Kirk_Ingram Offline
super street
Kirk_Ingram  Offline
super street
K

Sacramento, CA
Quote:

Kirk, did you have your speedo rebuilt professionally, and if so, who did the work?

I did not. Bought a 120 speedo from a member here and eventually found another 150 speedo on Ebag for under $50.
It's been 3-4 years and I don't remember the names of the companies that I got quotes from; but I was going to send it to a place in So Cal (Garden Grove I think). There are places all over the country that rebuild/certify speedo's. They just seem to hard to find when you need one

Death or Glory...it's just another story.